DRAG KING ___Raceliner Dragster___

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to admit I don't know if I'd ever have come up with a good way to hook to that plastic piece.
Never heard of McMaster Carr, clicked on link, wasted an hour of my life:grin: Now I want titanium ball bearings...

Awesome solution btw, its so simple but I never would have thought of it:thumbsup:
Honestly, I'm not sure if I would've came up with this idea had it not been for the scrap section of the seat tube. When I stuck it over the plastic, the rest came into focus very quickly. Jasper, McMaster-Carr is great and ships very fast. Go ahead and get those bearings!;)

How about I go out in the garage and pick something for you to put on the bike? PM me your address and I'll send it to you! But you gotta use it... Take a chance...

Rg
Can I choose what's behind door number three instead?
lets-make-a-deal-doors.jpg

beautiful craftsmanship...I noticed all your parts are precision cut, please share how you've mastered the accuracy? Are you a machinist by trade?
Thank you sir.

I'm no machinist, but I wish that I were at times. I have total respect for those guys that can whittle stuff out of blocks of metal. What I do is pretty basic. The key to it (for me) is to make accurate patterns on the computer first, and then carefully try to follow the lines. Then I follow up with a lot of filing and sanding.

I posted this picture a couple of weeks ago, but it was part of a collage and not very big, so here's a closer look at the band saw part of the process...
100_7125_zps08e3af41.jpg

What kind of bandsaw is that, I've never seen one without a table? I'm just jealous that I don't have one, all I have is a funky jig saw. I like how you tacked the two pieces of aluminum together to make one cut.

It's just a cheap Enco horizontal/vertical band saw like what you can get from Harbor Freight. You can get a cheap stamped steel table to bolt on it when it's raised, but it works ok without it.
That's steel tacked together in that picture. For the aluminum pieces, I used double stick tape and it worked great.
Here's a pic that I googled of a similar saw...
100_0333.jpg

That band saw looks like fun!

Luke.
I know I'm hanging with the right crowd when the sight of a band saw looks fun.:D

Getting Drag King ready for it's first public outing this evening! Can't wait!

Today was a good day!
This morning I installed the headlights and painted the tank and seat pedestal in black primer. I'm not planning on having a kickstand, but decided to mount one for the day as I new it would be necessary at the street festival/car show. My son and I loaded up Old Glory and Drag King in the bus and cruised the event for a few hours. There were thousands of people there, so it was more coasting and stopping than riding. Drag King drew a lot of attention and questions about the Dana and what type of bike it was, and one guy tried to buy it from me.
100_7226_zpsc6736c91.jpg

Took this one next to a fellow drag racer.;):D
100_7223_zps41ed35b9.jpg

We capped the night off by the river watching fireworks!
8d0b483d-7fc6-41f8-bd74-ed9ee5112e68_zpsa1874a23.jpg

Last edited:
I too have a kickstand on mine... even tho it's not as awesome as the rest of the bike, it's better than lying on the ground. Also mine has PAT APL stamped on it, so it's kinda cool too. Love both bikes. Old glory is just right.

Carl.

Very cool... not surprising you got an offer to buy. The first of many I'm sure.

Glen.
Thanks Glen. I told the guy it's not finished yet. Of course after August 3rd, reasonable offers will be considered.:)
I too have a kickstand on mine... even tho it's not as awesome as the rest of the bike, it's better than lying on the ground. Also mine has PAT APL stamped on it, so it's kinda cool too. Love both bikes. Old glory is just right.

Carl.
Yeah, I don't want the kickstand on the finished bike, but it's good to have the option for these situations.

It was fun taking Old Glory out to a patriotic event.

I'm trying to decide between white or amber headlights. I changed them out to white this evening and took a picture for a comparison. I probably need to do it again with the same pose.

What do you think?
amberorwhite_zps05e9d570.jpg

For anyone that's keeping up, you will notice that the tow hook is now red.:happy:

Back