DRAG KING ___Raceliner Dragster___

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Luke.
Here are the drop outs. I cut these out together also, except I used double stick tape instead of spot weld because they are aluminum. It was a pain to separate them and remove the glue but it worked. I plan to sandwich some steel plate to them later.
100_7136_zps70199271.jpg

I'm always open to ideas. Sectioning the bars is a good idea if it comes to that. I won't know how I like them until I get it all together later today. Thanks!

Yep!:D

Thanks, this is a fun build!

For the traction bars front mounting bracket, I finally settled on the size and shape and printed it on adhesive paper for a guide. If you look close, you'll see that there are two layers of metal sandwiched together and tack welded. By doing this, I was able to first drill the holes and then cut out the contour for both sides at one time insuring that they turned out identical.
As usual I don't trust my welding beyond tack welds, so my cousin welded them in place for me.
Here's the result...
tractionbraket_zpsd60caddd.jpg

Back to work!
I wish I had your set up for welding. I only have access to an arc welder and not half as sweet a bead. Nice work!

First ride today!:D
As with Orville and Wilbur Wright, I didn't ride very far, but it did ride.:)

From my short ride I made these observations:

1) Just as I expected from all of the accounts that I have read, the Dana has an unusual feel to it. It's obvious why they aren't still around. I still think it's very cool, but it's certainly not for a commuter bike.
2) Also expected, the increased trail from flipping the fork dropouts makes the steering a little unnatural feeling, but not bad. Hey, it's a dragster, it's made to go in a straight line anyway! Right?;)
3) The bars feel very good. At least for now, I'm sticking with them just as they are.
4) The idler sprocket works as good as I could have possibly hoped for! It took a little bit to dial it in, but the adjusters really worked well.
5) I thought I could get by with the test ride on the unfinished seat pedestal, but I was wrong.:blackeye: The back side has not been boxed in yet and my weight caused it to try to fold in on itself. It did bend in some, but I was able to bend it back and will probably weld the back on it Monday. Plus it is only tacked in place, so that will get done also.

I'm looking forward to getting back on it (after I finish the seat) and putting a few miles instead of a few hundred feet on it!

Here's the video...

Last edited:
Cool video. I think you are making the right choice in keeping the longhorns. They look great on the bike.
Sweet ride!

Cool video. I think you are making the right choice in keeping the longhorns. They look great on the bike.
Sweet ride!
Thanks KF, they look a lot like yours!
Congrats on a successful first ride!!:thumbsup: The bike looks great in the vid! Funny coincidence that I had my first ride on my bonine bike today too! I guess great minds also work alike:grin:
Yeah, it's like East and West coast brothers. You beat me to the jack stand though. I've got to empty a few things from my sleeves before I build mine!;)
Bike looks nice and long in the video!

Luke.
It is! This is the first stretched bike I've built and I like it.:)
Looks great, nice work. I dig the beard, it almost makes me miss mine.
Thanks Cuan. I get the almost part, it can be annoying sometimes. I'm almost ready to cut it and my hair soon. I donate my hair every couple of years to Locks of Love. I don't think they takes beards though.:21:

I do like those bars on there!

I cant get enough of this bike! Hope you are getting close to paint:p I also cant wait to see how much nicer of a rear jack you are going to make than me:D I felt guilty for a second when I started making mine knowing you were planning one as well, but since you didn't stat yet I figured it was fair game;)

Back