DRAG KING ___Raceliner Dragster___

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't posted a full picture in a while, so here's the current state of progress at the half way point of BoNine...
100_7114_zps7986d7ac.jpg

You can never completely trust pictures. ;)
The rear dropouts and traction bar brackets are just for mock up. They are cut from a composite polyethylene substrate and the traction bar front brackets are only taped in place.
However, that is this weeks goal to finalize those pieces so that it can be ridden for the first time. I do have two jazz gigs this week, so my progress will be slower than I would prefer.

I'm considering re-positioning the traction bars just a little lower. You may not be able to tell, but I re-shaped the rear dropouts to be 1/2" longer than in all of the previous pics also. It didn't change the position of the wheel, just added room for adjustment.

Your right about the bars being a mystery. I still don't know what I'll use.:eek:

You would never have guessed that.... mmmm maybe I could build a whole bike with blue-tak...o_O
Interesting lines going on TRM.:39::thumbsup:

I can't stop staring at this bike. The way that tank flows with the frame is amazing!

You would never have guessed that.... mmmm maybe I could build a whole bike with blue-tak...o_O
Interesting lines going on TRM.:39::thumbsup:
If it could be done, you would do it right!:)
I can't stop staring at this bike. The way that tank flows with the frame is amazing!
That's a great complement considering the flow that you've got going on with Agent Orange! Thanks!

As I mentioned yesterday, I made another set of brackets (version 3.0) today for the traction bars. These are about 3/4" lower than the last ones. Again these are mock up pieces, but I think I'm pretty happy with it now so maybe I'll be able to make the real thing by the weekend.

Here's a look...
d418414a-f7ad-4593-ba4a-dbb71c8f23c6_zpse6415350.jpg

This is a better shot of the tow hook also.:)

Sorry for the tease. I was at work without my camera to download pix and had to immediately load gear and leave town when I got home.:)

I got the bars from an old Columbia Highway Patrol bike that I picked up two days ago. They seem to have a good racing look to them and the finish is perfect!
100_7123_zps56da3772.jpg

Those do have a great patina for your build. I love my cross bars and yours are very similar but maybe a little narrower. How wide are those? I look forward to seeing a full view of the bike with the bars.

Those do have a great patina for your build. I love my cross bars and yours are very similar but maybe a little narrower. How wide are those? I look forward to seeing a full view of the bike with the bars.
The bars measure 26.5" from tip to tip. Hopefully I'll get a full picture tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a big day. If all goes well, I'll have the real drop outs and traction bar mounts on and take it for the first test ride!:happy:

The bars measure 26.5" from tip to tip. Hopefully I'll get a full picture tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a big day. If all goes well, I'll have the real drop outs and traction bar mounts on and take it for the first test ride!:happy:

They are about the same size as mine then. They give off a bit of a motorcycle vibe to me. I was expecting something low and tight to fit the drag bike theme, but at the same time I know you don't want to risk bars that would bank on that tank.
I bet you are excited to get this beauty on the road!!!!

I have to agree with kingfish, the bars are really cool but they do seem a little wide for your build. Would you consider sectioning the bars?
I'm always open to ideas. Sectioning the bars is a good idea if it comes to that. I won't know how I like them until I get it all together later today. Thanks!
I bet you are excited to get this beauty on the road!!!!
Yep!:D
Really dig the inspiration! Seeing that I can see it in the bike...
Thanks, this is a fun build!

For the traction bars front mounting bracket, I finally settled on the size and shape and printed it on adhesive paper for a guide. If you look close, you'll see that there are two layers of metal sandwiched together and tack welded. By doing this, I was able to first drill the holes and then cut out the contour for both sides at one time insuring that they turned out identical.
As usual I don't trust my welding beyond tack welds, so my cousin welded them in place for me.
Here's the result...
tractionbraket_zpsd60caddd.jpg

Back to work!

Back