ENIGMA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Ricky Nelson said "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself"
Build on buddy!

The wife's been out of town all week visiting her family, she's returning home in a few hours. So I've been washing, cleaning and doing housework all day! I didn't have time to work on the bike...plus I have some new ideas I'd like to explore?

The wife's been out of town all week visiting her family, she's returning home in a few hours. So I've been washing, cleaning and doing housework all day! I didn't have time to work on the bike...plus I have some new ideas I'd like to explore?

I generally don't work on bikes at all on the weekends. That's my time with the family. Weekdays after work is when I do my stuff.

SF, You are a smart guy. Keeping the wife happy is first priority. I speak from experience.

A couple of days ago I shared the first stage of painting my frame. At the time it had a very ‘rusty’ direction (I liked it) but after quickly assembling the bike, the warm reds are not compatible for what I have in mind with the silver discs which skew a cool hue. I can stay within the earth tones but I just need to steer away from warm reds.

Oh well, back to the drawing board

Yesterday, I stopped by a machinist friend who has been working on my chainring. I've had this 12" sprocket for a few years now. I was going to use it on Mofo at one time...

it was then I discovered a regular 1/2" chain didn't fit.
I almost tossed it when my buddy said he could fix it. It just needed to be shaved down on his lathe.

Chain now fits perfectly...and to think I almost tossed it out!

The faux paint looks nice, it's a shame that it doesn't match what your looking for. I'm sure that you can do it again though.:thumbsup:

While looking at the paint pix, I noticed how the brace is welded at the bottom of the fork on the rear. Until then, I thought the rear suspension was functional. It's hard to tell from the pictures of the front fork, but is it non-functional also?
ScreenShot2014-06-05at94457AM.png

While looking at the paint pix, I noticed how the brace is welded at the bottom of the fork on the rear. Until then, I thought the rear suspension was functional. It's hard to tell from the pictures of the front fork, but is it non-functional also?

See post #185. Everything's functional.

I must have missed that question that jasper87 posted about this.

No pivot. The neck of the fork is welded to a 1/4" aluminum triangle. It will sandwich the bridge behind the seat post using another aluminum triangle. Although the fork is somewhat stationary, it still has minimum flex. I actually had to raise the bikes belt line 1.5" to allow for the weight of the rider, and to prevent the crank arms from scrapping the ground when riding.

In this post you explained it as having flex in place of pivot points. Without any pivots, you've basically created a second rigid rear triangle that shouldn't move at all. If that triangle flexed 1.5" from your weight like you said, I'd be concerned!!:eek: The fork is designed to function by compressing and rebounding with no lateral movement. If it's 'flexing', then it must be trying to fold like a pocket knife and I'm thinking that the cast aluminum lower tubes could easily fail under that kind of stress.

It looks cool, but sounds potentially dangerous! Since you are planning to repaint it anyway, one solution might be to have your friend look at welding the stanchions to the lower tubes to prevent any unwanted movement.

I hope this observation is taken in the spirit of helpful insight.

Last edited:
Do you know what that huge chainring came off of originally?
Love the stance of the bike. Hopefully everything else falls into place.
I've no idea what it came off...I know it's not a Racycle. Here's a pic of similar one, but it's a 1" pitch.

Awesome chainring, nice machinist friend to fix that up for you!
Luke.
He didn't do it for nothing, cost me a really nice Delta "Torpedo" front loader.;)

Last edited:
Much too hot here today, whew! Nevertheless, I had a nice “Rat” paint direction. I left the rear of the bike painted with a soft yellow and the front more gritty with paint peeling off (see below). But I wasn’t feeling it was my best…perhaps too “Ratty”.

So I’ve stripped the bike again and I’ll try it again tomorrow.:headbang:

I thought about the "patina" paint direction I was going in and realized I had too many colors and components competing, adding to visual confusion.

After stripping the bike again to the bare metal…I can’t help but like the monochromatic look – no textures or multicolor…just simplicity!
There’s something sweet about the color of naked steel.

Last edited:
Back