Fancy Bicycle Racks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa, locked to a gas pipe? I had a school yard type bike rack locked to a gas pipe behind our shop. One day I noticed the chain was cut. Next week the rack was gone. It later appeared in a used bike shop. One of our business partners went to confront the other shop owner but the rack didn't come back.

I'll call this rack "Cork Screw".

I look at commercial racks and wonder about how they are made and shipped. This one has another next to it. There might be more at other nearby schools so shipping wouldn't be too bad. I think they could nestle about 4 or 5 in a single crate. Nice stainless steel tubing.

Img_2437.jpeg

IMG_2438.JPEG

There is some bad suburban planning in this country. I took my car into the dealership for some work in Midlothian VA and planned to walk to lunch. There was 3 shopping centers and about a half dozen restaurants within 3/4 mile of the dealership. Zero sidewalks. There was no reasonably safe way to walk or bike to any of them. The only way to get from one place to the next was by car. Kind of a shame.
That happened to me variously in various states while working "out on the road" building fiber networks. There were several times I was stuck not far from relaxation. What he said, Joe.

Whoa, locked to a gas pipe? I had a school yard type bike rack locked to a gas pipe behind our shop. One day I noticed the chain was cut. Next week the rack was gone. It later appeared in a used bike shop. One of our business partners went to confront the other shop owner but the rack didn't come back.

I'll call this rack "Cork Screw".

I look at commercial racks and wonder about how they are made and shipped. This one has another next to it. There might be more at other nearby schools so shipping wouldn't be too bad. I think they could nestle about 4 or 5 in a single crate. Nice stainless steel tubing.

View attachment 272119
View attachment 272120
They probably come compressed in the box and two really big guys, not included, pull
the ends to the desired length. :D

They probably come compressed in the box and two really big guys, not included, pull
the ends to the desired length. :D

I think you're "pulling our leg" with that story 😂..........

Go find @ingola and "pull his leg", mine is long enough......🤣🤣

Nice edits and thread name change. I'll keep posting racks I see.

Here is a pair that were laying on the ground for 9 months. I was surprised they weren't stolen for scrap metal. Or maybe they were. Hum were they black before? Planted at a bike path rest area that has a picnic shelter, tables water fountain, self service tool tower, Kybo and some car parking places including official looking handicap spot(s), located right on the edge of town.. When I was there the other night there were about 20 riders and bikes under the shelter. All those riders just leaned there bikes up against the picnic tables and shelter posts or used kickstands. Minimal labor in manufacturing them. Pretty popular style due to pricing (about $600).

View attachment 269538
Looks like the Cedar Valley Nature trail?

Not sure if this counts, looks like most of these posted are public use racks... anyway, this is one I made from two 2-bike stands sourced from the local Menards (11% rebate covered most of it). I believe the Amazonians sell them for about $25.00 ea. I hole-sawed the inboard ends and connected them together with some scrap 1.5" PVC pipe. Then Uni-bit the PVC for the rails in 8 places, bolt it all together and it becomes one assembly. This one is a few years old, I re-coat it with truck bed spray coating each season. Actually, put one of these in my shop as well. I looked at a few factory models that were made for truck beds but they were $300+...too much for a poor redneck! I've had a few guys at trailheads ask where they can get one. Then I have to explain how to mod them. This one rides in the back of the truck until the snow flies.

Bike rack.jpg

Don't mind the dirty truck...gravel road dweller here! :21:

Latest posts

Back