First Ride in 50+ years: 2023 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Driving the blues away

MplsCoaster said:
Brought his hash browns home knowing my wife loves them, "hash brownie points" ! :lol:

Those hash browns look delicious! I get what you are trying to say there, but the pot heads might read it differently. :roll:

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Driving the Blues away

I would say the Ford shoebox is 1949. I don't believe the 49 or 50 are any different though.

By the way, I have really enjoyed these posts. Keep them comming.

Roscoe Clyde

"What a ham" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like a fun trip to the diner! :D Those hash browns look real good 8) Nice Fairlane you seen :wink:

I think FIL knows he is a "STAR" here on RRB!!!!

Steve,

Another RRB'er here who is just loving reading your weekly "riding with FIL" posts. You are a great inspiration!!!!!!!! Can't wait til next weeks installment. THanks.

Gary

good stuff. Let us (me) know how you like the Veloster if you get it. I think they're neat and unique. I like small quarky cars a lot.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Riding the Cold out

Youthgeye, the hash browns were delicious!
The "brownie" comment was intended to be a play on words :lol:

Thanks for the info and comp Roscoe. I love the shape of those shoe boxes :D

You nailed it Nick! :lol: Glad you like the Fairlane, thanks for the ID :wink:

Kingfish, not sure he has figured it all out but think he likes to make people laugh :D

Hey Gary, glad you like the thread! :D Nice bike you got there!

Thanks much Skippy!

IIFIFM, I drove the Veloster turbo version that they just got in
It's interesting to drive my Prism with ~100 hp (2500lbs) and my GTO with 350hp (3600 lbs)
then drive the 200 hp turbo (2900 lbs). The power comes on differently but smooth
I like it! I decided to wait (up to 2 months :roll: ) for the orange one they are getting in
One word of caution (and worry) is that the 2012 Velosters are now having a NHTSA investigation
into the panorama sunroof exploding :shock:
Guess the Audi Q5 had their panoramic sunroof explode too, it was a cold weather thing
Still only have a refundable deposit on it so I'll have to talk with how Hyundai is handling it :roll:

On with this week's ride...
Decided to do some things for FIL's bike to make it easier to ride and a bit more safe with wet leaves
Friday night I worked on it some and then finished it up late Saturday

I wanted him to have some slightly knobby tires in case he got into some leaves or light snow
So put on one of my favorite tires Bontrager Connection 26 x 1.5 and they fit perfect under the fenders

Ended up doing a laundry list of things:
Aluminum rims to lighten it up, swapped out the rattly front fender, changed the rear gear from 18 to 19teeth
Rebuilt the new shimano hub because it wasn't right :roll: ,
Put a more comfortably sprung seat (look at his face going over the RR tracks at the fall ride) :shock:
Revised the bar pad with more foam, shortened it and put some nice stretchy material my wife bought
The crank was a bit loose and found I hadn't gone through the BB yet so I put in new cups and bearing
Put on a new sram PC1 nickel plated chain and Polished up the chrome (whew!)

Took it out for a short late shakedown and got this shot that I kinda like a lot (cheated with my clip on tail light)
IMG_7969.jpg

So I wanted to shake it down a bit more on Sunday morning, I like it (lost 4 lbs! now 35)
It's the first time I (kinda) built up a sophisticated clunker (or anything with fenders)
IMG_7972.jpg

IMG_7975.jpg

Okay, so I went to pick up FIL and my wife dressed up FIL really warm this time
(~50F but a winter-like 20mph wind)
He had a bit of a cold earlier in the week
but we both feel it would be good for him to get some fresh air (and DQ :lol: )

Showed him all the things I did and he seemed under impressed and said "Can we go?" :roll:
He didn't really talk much at all, except to say it wasn't as fun as a motorcycle. Yes we all know
Didn't expect for him to realize a difference but it seemed like he could catch up quicker, so great! :D
IMG_7980.jpg

Enjoyed our DQs and found out they would be open until mid Nov, weather permitting :D :D
IMG_7981II.jpg

Asked if he wanted to go for a ride and he said I suppose
We went down along the river again and he was lagging a bit but seemed okay
IMG_7984II.jpg

Still had some nice colors going
IMG_7985.jpg

We stopped for some traffic and he said he needed to blow his nose
Oh Man did he ever! :shock: I realized he may be getting a little too much fresh air
Said he could ask me to stop any time he needed to do that and it would be okay

Figured out his was still under the weather, couldn't hear very well, and was a bit crabby (who wouldn't be)
When I asked him a question, he kept saying "Yah,Yah" , no matter what the question
I'll have to keep a better eye on him next time, he seemed fine later that day so no harm done
And I think he was really wanted that DQ, cold or no cold :lol:

He was feeling good enough to try and finagle a ice cream sandwich (twice) when we got back
So he must not have been too bad off :lol:
IMG_7979II.jpg

His hearing and attention seems to be getting somewhat worse
I remember this well with my Dad and Grandma, it seems to shut them out even more added to the dementia
Getting a hearing aid didn't work at all for my Dad hated it and ended up losing it
My Stepson is trying out one with FIL but it's going to be tough going

Anyway, FIL is doing well this week and I picked up his cold :roll: Nothing a DQ could fix :wink:

Thanks for looking
Steve

Great read as always. I am sure the improvements are appreciated. It is great you plan on riding with him in the colder weathers. Next thing he will be asking for some studded tires. :mrgreen:

Your DQ restaurants close?

It gets so cold that the ice cream freezes!!!!! :p

yoothgeye said:
cman said:
Your DQ restaurants close?

Same thing I was wondering about. Our DQs are open year round.

Probably depends on whether they're Braziers or not ? Braziers serve food vs just ice cream. They still call them that?

Great stories as always. Just like being there. FIL's bike looking good.

best hash browns anywhere,is that th dq on north lyndale,bike show and swap sunday oct 28 andover high scholl

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, DQ-Good Mood Food

Thanks for the comments Clancy. Some times I expect too much but not a big deal.
It's easier for him to ride so that's the whole point :D

Clancy, Youthgeye, Kingfish and Randy,
YES! Some of our DQs close during the winter. Mostly the smaller ones
Randy, you get the prize, Most Braziers (serving food) stay open and there is one about 5 miles away
The other three (including the brazier near the Falls) within a few miles, close up
You were on track Kingfish...
It kinda makes sense, You can't call it "soft serve" when it's below zero :lol:

We've already been discussing alternative activities
walking about a mile away to "Turtle Bread" or Peace Coffee
for coffee and donuts and maybe we can take the dog too
http://www.turtlebread.com/home/SweetTreats/
http://www.peacecoffee.com/things-we-lo ... php?ID=115

We'll see how long we can ride safely.
The first test will be this weekend with 40F and rain/snow mix :shock:

Thanks Randy, glad you like the new look of FIL's bike

Hey 5speed I'll have to check out the DQ for hash browns.
RustyK and me will be at the Andover swap meet right at 9am
RustyK says he doesn't want to miss any deals :lol:
We're going to hang out there with Nick and his Mom after a few laps
So we hope to see you there, maybe tell me a way to recognize you

Youthgeye, Sunday swap meets seem pretty common around here too
Maybe all the things on the "Honey Do" list have to get done on Saturday before the boys can play :lol:

Alright, I am very happy to say that FIL was in a really good mood last Sunday :D :D
Last week I think he was kinda down with his cold but it's been a few weeks that he's been more quiet
I guess we all have our good and bad days...

Anyway he was laughing and cracking jokes and really didn't say any of his standard lines :D
He was raring to go and hopped on instantly
IMG_8018II.jpg

I asked if he noticed if it rode easier (I'm a glutton for punishment :roll: ) and he said
" Not as easy as my HD or Square four" and started laughing.
I laughed too because he WAS right and it was meant as a joke

He seemed to be enjoying the warm ~69F weather
IMG_8019II.jpg

I had rode earlier in the week and didn't think I see that temp again for a long time, I can't complain :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=30493&start=90

So the guy at DQ recognized FIL and called him by name so that was really nice for him :D
If you don't remember, FIL used to frequent that DQ at least twice a day when he was still driving :shock:
He gave him a mega large "regular size" and gave us a discount :D
FIL saw me and gave an unsolicited smile (great to see it)
IMG_8020II.jpg

So he wanted to go further and I decided to take some short break
so he had an opportunity to blow his schnozzola if necessary
We went of the river road bike path and stop at a overlook
Can finally see the other side of the Mississippi river
IMG_8022.jpg

That was his stoic joking face if you didn't recognize it :lol:

We headed back and hung out in the yard and I discussed the changes again and I think he really got it this time. Says he "on" for going when the weather turns colder, we'll see...
IMG_8024II.jpg

Sat and talked for a while then it was time to put the bike away, so he rode it back
IMG_8025II.jpg

So I guess I can't expect him to always be in a good/joking mood,
especially with what he he's going through, I'm learning...

Almost forgot, Picked up my Hyundai Veloster Turbo last night
Have to see how FIL likes it, I like it a lot. Still figuring everything out...
Its been raining so only an indoor shot so far, had to put the bikes down the basement
IMG_8028.jpg

Just in time for the snow :lol:

Thanks for looking
Steve

Nice looking car. While on our trip at a hotel we spotted a car that we couldn't identify. I wonder if it wasn't one of these. The only markings we could find were a V in the center both front and back. I can't recall exactly what it looked like now. It was blue with black hood and truck or something along those lines. Got our attention.

hash browns at the flame burger not the dq,ill be at the swap ya cant miss me got a mustache like the old man from occ,6 ft and 280lbs 66 yrs young,see ya there

Veloster looking cool man. Glad you like it.

Randy I wonder if you saw the new Subaru and Scion sport coupe that they designed together and are sharing? Those are slick too.

that old ford belongs to jimmy laplant he also has an old ford pickup that nice,spend alot of time at the flame burger,AJ

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Winter is coming...

Thanks Randy, Not sure what car you saw though ("V" front and rear??)
The Veloster is a bit funky for my tastes (= my Wife loves it) but it's a pretty nice car
Since I got my Wife to sell her Mini (too expensive to keep fixing, but fun handling car)
so I said she can drive the Veloster during the spring and fall and I'll drive her Mazda 3
She rarely uses the sun roof and I never what to shut it :lol:

5 Speed, I understand you now :oops: , Glad to hear you like the hash browns too
the DQ is on East Lake street in Mpls
It was good to finally meet you at the Andover swap meet
I posted some pictures here (sorry I didn't get everybody in a shot)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62743
RustyK and me were starving so we went to Flameburger, perfect!!
Thanks for naming the owner of the Ford. It is really sweet!

Thanks IIFIFM! I am still figuring things out
Have to say that I really like the heated seats now that the weather is colder :D

So after the Swap meet last Sunday (28Oct) I took a rest and then went for a ride with FIL
Much colder out this weekend (~38F and 12mph wind). My Wife really wrapped him up this time
I also made sure I was more ready with extra kleenex and was prepared to stop more

Fill was in a pretty good mood. Not quite as rambunctious as last weekend though, and that's ok...
We were kinda checking out the Halloween decorations as we went.
28Oct12048.jpg

I tell you, I dressed warm too but the Northwest wind said "Hello Winter",
But the sun was out so it was still enjoyable

The DQ owner (I think), George, recognized FIL again so FIL got the mega medium sundae :D
He said he would be staying open for the about 2 more weeks. It's going ot be the end of an episode...

I think FIL was too cold to sit on the metal bench though I don't think he wanted to admit it :lol:
28Oct12051II.jpg

He said he used to enjoy winter a lot more when he was skating or skiing

I kinda like pics in the winter, because the trees look monochroamtic and interesting against the sky
This shot was kiddie corner from the DQ but my camera made it look darker that it actually was (shooting into the sun)
28Oct12052II.jpg

So I asked FIl if he wanted ot just go back but he said he wanted to ride more :D :D
So we did our 5 mile loop along the Mississippi river. Stopped a few extra times for nose blowing, both him and me :lol:
28Oct12054II.jpg

FIL has something cross his mind and he starts worrying about it
My Wife has tried (after many repetitions) to get him not to worry
So one of his standard lines is "So don't wory about _____ (fill in the blank)"
He may say this same thing 2-3 times in about 5 minutes
Some are a bit graphic for this post so I'll just say "yes, you don't have to worry" (over and over)

After the last picture he said "So don't worry about...ANYTHING" and laughed a bit
This was the first time hearing this and him laugh a bit at himself (and didn't repeat)
I said "You're so right, you don't have to worry about anything" :D :D

This one must have caught his eye, usually he is rather focused on the road
28Oct12049II.jpg

So we headed back and kinda like this shot as the sun was going down in fornt of us
We kept miss queing each other, I take a pic, he poses, I miss, repeat... The first one turned out the best :lol:
28Oct12056II.jpg

The leaves in the picture are exactly the reason I but the knobby tires on, just a bit safer for him.

We headed straight inside to warm up after the ride and we both know we have to find a new plan soon
I'll keep you posted, Thanks for looking
Steve

Back