First Ride in 50+ years: 2023 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Walking the walk

I have just finished reading the entire thread and have really enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Looking forward to reading more of you and your fil time spent together. :D

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Washin',drivin',eatin'

Hey AJ, Turtle Bread is on 4205 East 34th Street in South Mpls (Longfellow Neighborhood)
There are several of them around but sorry, no donuts, but lots of other good treats and food though
http://www.turtlebread.com/Home/

IIFIFM, “duathlon” that’s super funny!!! Now I’ll have to think up something new other than walking and call it a triathalon, know he used to swim (but I’m a bad swimmer) and don’t want him to drown

I’m thinking about maybe playing air hockey or even pool but not sure.
Trying to get him to enjoy something enough to concentrate on it and get some physical activity too…

Thanks Kingfish! The thought of roller blades scares the crap out of me :lol:

Hey Nick, it’s funny how some people hate walking. I know it’s really different but sheesh! :lol:
With my arthritis, I have to rotate between riding, walking, elliptical, and running
so I don’t take out my knees again rolling eyes, so I HAVE to walk now…
It is kinda slow and more boring…

Youthgeye, you guys and your skate suggestions, I’m not purposely trying to have him fall :lol:

Thanks Buckfiddy. The entire thread?! Hopefully it was a pretty fast read.
Glad you like it. :D Stay tuned…

No walking last Sunday, didn’t feel like hearing the excuses
Had him help me with a few chores instead
Parked my car outside for only about an hour and a flock of birds seriously pooped all over it :shock:
So we went to the car wash, they did a really nice job on it
IMG_8312.jpg

FIL liked the new car especially the heated seats and backup camera
We filled the tank then headed for Peace Coffee Shop
http://www.peacecoffeeshop.com/
FILpeace1.jpg

Wonder what the guy, with the surprised look, was supposed to be doing, other than slackin' at the coffee shop :lol:
IMG_8314.jpg

Nice place and staff. If you buy the non-fancy coffee (but good tasting) it’s bottomless (buzzzzzzz)
We had some double chocolate cookies (Mmmm!) and FIL had hot chocolate too
FIL asked if his hot chocolate was bottomless and I said sorry, no. He knows but he tries :lol:
IMG_8318.jpg

Sat and looked around. He remembered the store across the street being open years ago
IMG_8315.jpg

IMG_8320.jpg

He says “People forget that it costs money to drive to the big grocery stores”
Must be kinda tough to see some of the smaller businesses shut down (where you knew the owners)
Interesting to see even the bigger business chains shut down due to online sales now
His change and now mine…

Saw this cool light fixture made out of old rims. I guess they are big into “reuse”
IMG_8321.jpg

FIl all sugared up, notice the smile on his face now :lol:
FILPeace2.jpg

Showed FIL how all the bikes outside had skinny tirez in the winter
Said because the hipster kids are trying to be super cool, he laughed
I mean “good for them” to ride that way, it’s definitely a skill but just a wipeout away
I just heal too slow to do that anymore :lol:

Next week maybe we’ll go to Fireroast Mountian Coffee shop
http://www.fireroastmountaincafe.com/
It’s basically around the corner from his house, then maybe after he’s all sugared up,
we’ll walk the same route as he takes the dog (about only 1 mile) whether he likes it or not :lol:

Think we both had a pretty good time, and FIL enjoyed walking less
Thanks for Looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Washin', drivin', eatin'

Love seeing that smile in the last photo and reading between the lines on this update showed less frustration from FIL, which is nice, I think just getting out is best.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Washin', drivin', eatin'

yoothgeye said:
Love seeing that smile in the last photo and reading between the lines on this update showed less frustration from FIL, which is nice, I think just getting out is best.
Thanks Yoothgeye for reminding me of the most important part, hangin out together
We don't have to do something physically challenging or mentally stimulating every time

I guess I'm just spoiled with our bike rides because it's one of the few things we have in common
Can't wait to start up again when it's safe, until then, I'll try to enjoy whatever happens

Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Hangin out

Took a short walk on Sunday with FIL to Fire Roast coffee shop for some treats
Decided to just hang out and not push for a longer walk (this time)
IMG_8340II.jpg

It’s funny, when I mentioned hot chocolate the first time we went to Turtle bread,
he kinda sneered at the idea. :roll:
At Peace coffee last week, his eyes lit up and he loved it.
This week he again didn’t like the idea again, not a big deal but kinda funny

FIL had a fudge peanut butter bar, I had a PB choco chip cookie, and got a Ginger Molasses for my wife.
He thought I was taking a pic of him (so he posed) and laughed when I said “not this time…”
IMG_8341.jpg

Mine tasted pretty good but definitely not gooey, pretty sure everything we ate was vegan
FIL didn’t complain (lots of oatmeal in his) so it was fine

FIL was perfectly happy to just hang out while I finished my coffee,
which is new because usually he wants to leave instantly, so that was different and kinda cool

The place was decorated for Christmas and had some interesting people there
IMG_8343II.jpg

A group of women were crocheting and one was spinning her own yarn on a mini spinning wheel
Glad the new owners are continuing to be a community focused place
They have a little play room for kids, free WiFi, and community events

It was one of those foggy (and groggy) days where you just kinda stare out the window
IMG_8342II.jpg

IMG_8345II.jpg

Lots of small independent garages in MN. I guess I notice them more because I used to be an auto mech
The one across the street has a kinda neat color scheme,
seems this neighborhood has several with interesting paint jobs
IMG_8344II.jpg

As we were leaving, I was showing how they had an open mic night there
IMG_8347.jpg

FIL said we should come down and he would sing a song
He started to quickly sing a dirty little ditty and it totally cracked me up!!!
Don’t know where that came from, but somehow he has seems to remember all the naughty stuff :lol:

IMG_8348II.jpg

Think we both had a good time just hanging out

We’re supposed to get some accumulating snow this weekend,
so we’ll have to see what we actually do this time...
Thanks for looking
Steve

Please go for open mic night and make a video! I love seeing hippies blush. :lol:

aka_locojoe said:
The cookies and coffee sure look good. Probably a good thing though that we don't have places like that near by. I think that's the first time we've seen FIL without a hat.

I thought that too, but I went back and saw there are other hatless and helmetless moments, just none as close up.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Break for Snow

Hey Youthgeye, I laughed when it was just us but it might make some people cringe :lol:
Randy, you're right, the place is close enough it usually takes a lot of will power not to stop there everyday
Never realized I didn't take many pics with him hatless or helmetless
Think he normally likes to have a hat on in public
Just set the camera on the table and happened to snap it then, not sure what I get

Well I looked out the door at about 2:30 and we already had 6" on the ground
IMG_8360.jpg

Some people wait to shovel until it's all over and it gets kinda treacherous to walk
People walk in the street with the tire ruts if they have to get out
But it's not really safe, so we decided to not go this week :(

I went riding later but I'm responsible for breaking my own neck and not his :lol:
We'll be back next week
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Playing Santa

Well we got out this weekend. It was colder at ~18F with 3F wind chill
Decided to walk to Fire Roast Café again because its so close
and because they have a Toys for Tots drop off box

Asked FIL if he wanted an ice cream cone today,
“ Sebastian Joe’s was voted best in the Twin Cities” It didn’t take much convincing
http://sebastianjoesicecream.com/ice-cream/ click on the flavor list :shock:
"What kind do you have?" He says and here starts the problem…
S:Egg Nog? F:Argghh!
S: Nicollet Avenue Pot Hole? (Chocolate ice cream w/ fudge, truffles, heath bar & sea salt) F: What?
S: Minneapolis Vanilla? F: Vanilla?-okay (I had the Egg Nog, mmmm)
So the owner gave us some good portions and in a nice bowl with a metal spoon (unlike DQ)

Then I got some cookies for my Wife, visiting Niece, and an extra for FIL and me
BTW: The chocolate chip cookies were definitely not vegan, major chewy and still hot, mmmm

FIL split the cookie early on and then after a while, couldn't handle me not eating me part,
so I said he could have more :lol:
16Dec12003.jpg

Brought some gifts so FIL could be a Santa for the Toys For Tots box (My wife said he enjoyed it)
16Dec12007.jpg

We just hung out for a while and talked with the owner who seemed like a pretty nice guy
IMG_8414II.jpg

Looks like they made a little snowman and left some treats on him for the squirrels
(Nuts for eyes and mouth, carrot nose and prune button)
16Dec12008.jpg

We headed home only 2 short blocks but the Northwest wind was biting
FIL says, "I can't wait until summer, so I can complain about the heat" We had a good laugh :lol:
We both had a good time and laughed that we enjoyed ice cream on such a cold day

Thanks for Looking
Steve

MplsCoaster said:
As we were leaving, I was showing how they had an open mic night there
IMG_8347.jpg

FIL said we should come down and he would sing a song
He started to quickly sing a dirty little ditty and it totally cracked me up!!!
Don’t know where that came from, but somehow he has seems to remember all the naughty stuff :lol:

I can just see FIL up there now

There once was a man from Nantucket......... :oops:

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Playing Santa

MplsCoaster said:
(Nuts for eyes and mouth, carrot nose and prune button)

Prune bottom... :oops: That's awkward.

MplsCoaster said:
FIL says, "I can't wait until summer, so I can complain about the heat" We had a good laugh :lol:

So did I! :lol:

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Christmas Break

Kingfish, you would be imagining right, he knows them all... :lol:

Thanks Peatbog for sharing your very cool story! Bikes are like magic aren't they? :D
Sure glad you like the thread.

Youthgeye, Glad you had a good laugh too. FIL loves to make people laugh.
Now I went back and immediately checked the spelling and thought of context
and I think I got it right: ButtoN not BottoM :lol:

So didn’t really have enough time with all the Christmas parties so we took a break

Got FIL together with his older brother for the first time in a while
His older brother is still reasonably sharp but is losing a lot of his vision, He can see shapes is all
IMG_8439II.jpg

So you can understand I was amazed when FIL's Brother said he would sneak down the basement of the senior living and ride his bike around. :shock:
He said someone saw him riding one night and that someone started riding during the day.
Then that guy got caught and now nobody can go riding in the basement. FIL brother looked sad
It was probably too risky and it could have been “a story” but it still seems kinda sad

Anyways, the Brothers took off later to find some other resident who may have worked with FIL
They were gone for at least an hour and nobody knew where they were
With one not seeing well and the other not remembering well, we weren’t sure if they were okay
They came back eventually. Things like that must run in the family

Got FIL a warmer hat for our walks to the coffee shop, think he was teasing me about the size
IMG_8490II.jpg

Hope you had a great holiday season and we’ll be back next week
Thanks for looking
Steve

I haven't been posting (or building) much in the last year. I missed this thread completely.... I just read it, in it's entirety. I write this post with tears streaming down my cheeks. The love you have in your heart, for your FIL, is just overwhelming. It's made me realize how much I miss my father, and the things "we" should have been doing, he's been gone for over 20 yrs. now... A few years ago we bought a couple of Electra Townies. My son liked them so much he went out and bought one for himself. We have gone on many rides together, my son and his wife. I'm the "old" man now, but I can still put the kid away on a bike.....But that won't last much longer.......Steve I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, for the best thread, ever written, on the Internet...May "HE" continue to bless you and your family.

Thank You
Larry

Larry, know this - we miss you when you're not here.

Great thread. I never miss the updates. Merry Christmas to you, yours, and FIL.

Back