Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I also want to make a tank for this one out of rubber. And, I want it to be inflatable... So I plan on creating a 3D shape from rubber inner tubes. I'll probably need 1 larger tube like a car tire tube. But I also want to do it with overlapping strips, kinda armadillo like.
Do you all think tire patch adhesive will be strong enough? Or, what kind of seam will I need to be able to do?
I thought of this the other day while reading a thread by @deven_science the Alchemist Airflow. I don't recall ever seeing an inflatable tank on a bike before...

Carl.

Last edited:
This is an awesome idea! I think you might want to try to sew the seams as well as glue them.

Love it.
I'd go with some wetsuit adhesive, I agree with Duchess on sewing the seems as well.
Check online for wetsuit adhesive, it can be found inexpensively.

Also, look out for some lawn tractor/mini bike tubes.
They have an angled valve that can be placed under the tank.

Also, look out for some lawn tractor/mini bike tubes.
They have an angled valve that can be placed under the tank.
Yep, I think the valve needs to be between the cantilever tubes on the bottom. I'm playing with shapes in my head. There is going to need to be some clearance for the steering arms too. Haha, can't make it easy.

Carl.

Huffy B&W v3.jpg

if I can just get it there...

Carl. :eek:

Last edited:
Awesome concept sketch there Carl. If you even get close to that you should be pleased. Still trying to wrap my head around the 'inflatable tank' idea....?!*?

Awesome concept sketch there Carl. If you even get close to that you should be pleased. Still trying to wrap my head around the 'inflatable tank' idea....?!*?
Thank you!
I've done a layered plexiglass with vacuum tubes tank, and a tweed amplifier in a tank. So now I just gotta keep pushing the envelope. I've never seen an inflatable tank...yet. A manta ray shape has been swimming around in my head.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Last edited:
Sweet! Are you planning on using a bent springer? That may help with some of the headache.
No I have a repo straight springer. I am planning on unbolting it at the bottom of the head tube and putting a 6 inch pair of arms there to push the fork forward and up. It's early enough that if that fails I can come up with something else. I don't want to cut the frame, I may have to do a custom triple tree or a girder fork or even a combination of the two.

Carl.

I have to be at the courthouse at 1pm today. I have been called to serve on the Grand Jury. I think today is the day they decide if I'm worthy... If I make it, it's a 4 month term of 2 or 3 Thursdays a month. If I'm chosen I'll be glad to serve and if not I'm fine too. Who gonna want an old hippie type on the jury anyway???
Meanwhile my son is staining wood in the cabinet shop today, I'll be getting my bike shop back soon.

Carl.

Until I can actually use my garage as a shop again all I can do is play in paint... does this make any sense?

fork exploded.jpg

I left out the spring, top bracket and the bolts, but I hope the wrenches, extra tube and the X brace are self explanatory.

Carl.

I like the design your seeing in your head, but I wonder what steering will be like.
I'm thinking the use of wrenches to extend the fork legs out might prevent that bent springer wobble, but not sure.
Should be cool either way.

I like the design your seeing in your head, but I wonder what steering will be like.
I'm thinking the use of wrenches to extend the fork legs out might prevent that bent springer wobble, but not sure.
Should be cool either way.
Every burrito I've seen has a turning radius of about 2 football fields, and a tandems radius is almost as bad. My Rollfast with the tweed amp tank has a bent springer and while a little wonky it's very rideable, I think the long wheelbase helps and it's easy to get used to. So I have no doubt the steering will be ridiculous. But I want to get it all low first and refine the steering later... I just don't want to cut the frame around the headtube and I don't want to run a smaller front wheel. So I think I'm stuck raking it forward.

Carl.

Stretch1.jpg

:eek:
I wonder which one of us underslung the handlebars first? I have the identical bars on ALiEN FiRE.
Same Huffy tandem frame, similar idea on the forks (I love his) I found this pic searching Google images...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back