Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 42104
:eek:
I wonder which one of us underslung the handlebars first? I have the identical bars on ALiEN FiRE.
Same Huffy tandem frame, similar idea on the forks (I love his) I found this pic searching Google images...

Carl.
I did a bottom mount bar setup in 06 lol. Awesome bike

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

I did a bottom mount bar setup in 06 lol. Awesome bike

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
Cool! Haha, I only meant his burrito or my ALiEN FiRE since the bars were the same... I'd love to see a pic of your bike! You haven't built an inflatable tank yet have you? ;)

Carl.

View attachment 42104
:eek:
I wonder which one of us underslung the handlebars first? I have the identical bars on ALiEN FiRE.
Same Huffy tandem frame, similar idea on the forks (I love his) I found this pic searching Google images...

Carl.
That right there is confirmation of your idea Carl!

Yeah it's chili outside and in my kitchen....
Tore down the old drive train.
Will be reusing a few of these parts.
71c7cd64f5c5b2fcd1efc12313e004bb.jpg

Nice repo bow pedals
a128374ad60ea9c98e2d73b739cf3d15.jpg

May use the og crankset.
3e8153d181a92c908b80b9c1b2107fc4.jpg

Now I'm back in the house for some hot chili...

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Last edited:
Love the tandem rear steer. :cool2:
That's a been big part of the design since before, when the Harlequin was going to be a clown bike. But, I've been rethinking the "Colson" style rear steering. I believe they used gears at each end with a section of chain for each, coupled together with rods. Modern recumbents often use a similar system, but do away with the gears and chains. Using small arms with long rods attached, is more like the auto industry and in my mind a simpler system with less moving parts to achieve the same results.
Doubling the rods Colson style, one on each side, I think will help it be bullet proof. While eliminating the gears will simplify and remove a source of possible slop/play.
Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Carl.

Last edited:
Q. When is a burrito not a burrito?
A. When the rules describing my build become obsolete.

Carl.

Got a few of the extra bits cut off today...
KIMG0345.JPG
KIMG0349.JPG

Frame is smaller than you'd think. Pedaling will be easy enough with the BB up n' forward, not sweatin' the chain line, it worked before and as long as I get the BB straight it oughta work fine, straight or bent. BUT, the planned position for the rear steer tube puts the stem between my knees...
I really don't want to steer with a tiller, and even though I could reach stretched bars from the new seat position, I wonder how high I can raise the stem before it looks stupid?

Carl. o_O

Looks really cool Carl! I'm thinking bars in original head tube, with a real long sweep back, they make them new I think for stretch cruisers. Not a lot of rise to them....

Looks really cool Carl! I'm thinking bars in original head tube, with a real long sweep back, they make them new I think for stretch cruisers. Not a lot of rise to them....
Yeah but but but, I WANT the rear steer!
(I've even been thinking about a steering wheel T-Bucket style)
Please, please can't I have a rear steer?
reality sets in. ah man...

Carl.

Yeah but but but, I WANT the rear steer!
(I've even been thinking about a steering wheel T-Bucket style)
Please, please can't I have a rear steer?
reality sets in. ah man...

Carl.
I don't know if it's possible diameterwise, but maybe you could use the front seat tube as a stearing tube for the rear steer to get it in front of your knees...

I don't know if it's possible diameterwise, but maybe you could use the front seat tube as a stearing tube for the rear steer to get it in front of your knees...
I like the idea but it's not enough. I was planning on getting it in there between the two front tubes and a couple inches wouldn't be enough different when I'm pedaling. Plus there an old seat post down in that tube! The last post I had pushed it down some but it's right there now that it's been cut down.
Harlequin T.jpg

But I wonder if I can mount the steering tube vertical now that I want to use ball ends and rod? Adds to the T-Bucket look and even a little higher if needed to clear my knees might not look too bad.

Carl.

Last edited:
Maybe tilt the steering column at roughly 45*, then pivot the steering control left and right to steer.
Then you could use an old ten speed handle bar as flight control.

Any idea what I'm talking about?

Maybe tilt the steering column at roughly 45*, then pivot the steering control left and right to steer.
Then you could use an old ten speed handle bar as flight control.

Any idea what I'm talking about?
Yes, no, maybe? Haha. Imagine the things between your knees... Ya gotta lean back, but it's still gonna be kinda close to your chest. That's why I drew the bars pitched forward so much. So you got this pizza shaped deal maybe a few inches above yer knees, ya gotta lean back some.... I don't know man it's gonna be tight. It's gonna look wild but I want to ride it, ya know?

Carl.

Yea, just spitballing. Problems like this are why I haven't built a recumbent yet.

Yea, just spitballing. Problems like this are why I haven't built a recumbent yet.
It's easy on paper! (or paint.net)
Man I got ideas spinnin' around in my head...
Hows about a two point rear bumper so I can stand the bike on end? Ha...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back