Haro x 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may need to follow up after the brass brush with a little 0000 steel wool.

I know the purists believe that steel wool will leave microscopic steel particles in the chrome thus causing more rust eventually.

My theory is...it's already rusting...who cares...ha ha! :lol:

Looks like the 180's are the ones bringing in the cash. I'm still not getting why these are so great. Guy at the LBS said I can get those from a catalog what's the big deal? I just looked at him stupid and said, I dunno. He looked back at me, I looked back at him raised my eyebrows, and said, " so you'll take em off then". I think he thought I was looney. Oh well..

No luck ar wally world on the brass brushes.....Did get some super seven chrome polish..

jtdaddy said:
Looks like the 180's are the ones bringing in the cash. I'm still not getting why these are so great. Guy at the LBS said I can get those from a catalog what's the big deal? I just looked at him stupid and said, I dunno. He looked back at me, I looked back at him raised my eyebrows, and said, " so you'll take em off then". I think he thought I was looney. Oh well..

No luck ar wally world on the brass brushes.....Did get some super seven chrome polish..

I don;t know enough about them either to tell the difference. I gave Kev a shout so he should let us know what he thinks soon. I have found that some bike store guys don't always know what is hot on Ebay...thankfully.

You need to hit Home Depot or Lowes for the brushes....they sell them in the paint dept....usually in a package with a stainless steel and plastic brush too.

I found some brass brushes at lowes in the welding stuff they where 1.47 each. Hey Rat Rod what do you use on the aluminum parts? I have a 1983 Mongoose 26in mountan bike that could use some cleaning. And its chrome with aluminum cranks and wheels.

I use Mother's Aluminum polish...works really well.

05100-05101_193px.jpg

jtdaddy said:

175s and 180s are good stuff.

Flight single pinch cranks (like you have) were the cranks to run back in the day. The guy at your LBS can indeed order flight cranks. However, the ones he gets are newer double pinch overseas built cranks.

Many, many, many people want the flight single pinch cranks. There were tons of them built and quite a few still remain out there to buy. It doesn't change the fact that the demand is greater than the supply.

maddogrider said:
I found some brass brushes at lowes in the welding stuff they where 1.47 each. Hey Rat Rod what do you use on the aluminum parts? I have a 1983 Mongoose 26in mountan bike that could use some cleaning. And its chrome with aluminum cranks and wheels.

I would love to see your 83 Goose....Is it a Kos Kruiser?

Thanks guy for the education.

Exactly what "Hutchxl24" just said.

word for for, he is exactly correct.

The Bikes you have are not worth a lot..
maybe 100 - 150 each at the most,
and the redline Cranks are only worth about $ 250.oo because they need a lot of attention.
They may clean up with an Oxilic acid Bath...but they look pretty far gone.

I have owned quite a few sets of those redline's...I Love them.
yours need some serious Love if you plan on getting a good buck for them.

nice score...

Kev.

HutchXL24 said:
maddogrider said:

I would love to see your 83 Goose....Is it a Kos Kruiser?

Yea man i will post some pics of it its an ATB i bought it bran new 18 speed. Its a pretty cool ride.

Will Oxilic acid work on rims? I soo hate trying to polish these rims....

Ok opinions on these pics?
DSCF0032-1.jpg

DSCF0033-1.jpg

DSCF0034-1.jpg

Let me know your ideas..

I think I need to take them out in the sun shine....

You just need to take a few shots out in the sun and throw them puppie on Ebay and see what happens.

Maybe set the reserve at $200 or something.

I'd photograph and sell the pedals seperate. The real market is for the cranks, not the pedals. Other than that, I thought your pics were okeedokee.

Oh, and make sure you get a pic of the splines of the spindle and the splines inside the crank arms. Are they in good condition? If any splines are rounded off, broken, cracked, or worn too bad, it will determine how well they sell. Also make sure all the threads for the pinch bolts, pinch bolt holes, and pedal bosses are clean and not stripped. It's hard to tell from the pics...are there any dents in the arms or hammer marks? Most serious buyers are going to ask these questions and the more you let the buyers know, in advance, the more likely they are to bid. Also, include super size pics in your listing.

Back