Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Villiers board tracker

I'm curious to hear what the outcome will be. My math, and build experience, says that a 9:1 to 10:1 ratio is what you'll want for a small four stroke engine this size, using a 26.0" wheel. This ratio will give you decent power right from a dead stop to up around 30mph. If you want to go faster than 30mph you can go to a 9:1 or 8:1 ratio, but 4:1 is way off. I'll wait patiently to hear the outcome.

Hey there Dowie.
Yesterday I got almost everything assembled. Did'nt finish because I broke the kill switch, but I've allready got a new one :D
Anyway, because the engine fell of my bench (see previous posts), I was anxious to see if everything worked ok, so I had to try it out. It was late allready so I did'nt go out, but I fired it up indoor and gave the throttle a few twists. It seems to have the same "torque", or even a bit higher strength than it had with the previous assemble.
Don't get me wrong, and don't think that I doubt your experience and math; in fact it is me that is building a motor bike for the 1st time.
I just wanna see what I can do with the stuff I have before having to buy something new.
Even If I get the same result as previously, I will probably want to tweak it up and that will mean gettin' the stuff you gathered for me a while ago.
Thanks for your patience and support.

No worries (stocksucks). I really like checking back to see your progress. A two stroke motor usually sees twice the rpm of a four stroke. This is why you someimes see a two stroke motor with a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio for a bicycle set up. I'm curious to see what your outcome will be for a 4:1 ratio on your small four stroke motor. It will push your bike, but it will probably be geared way too tall to be efficent. Anyhow, if you decide to go the jackshaft route I can provide all the details you may need. Looking forward to hear the outcome of your upcoming road test.

Hey there.
It's almost done and ridable:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've allready tryed it on that back bumpy road I talked about earlier and it handles and rides very similarly (correct speling?) to the previous assembly.

I had allready talked to my friend to shoot a video today but last nigh all H#"" broke loose and the gratest thunderstorm happened with lots of rain, so I'm not sure.

I'll keep you posted.
Keep rollin'

Just now I noticed that on the two first pisc I flipped the bike to the exact same position... Take a look at the distance between the front/rear wheel and the screwdriver charger...
It is a great coincidence, since the bike is about 2m long and weighs some 45 to 50kg..
Does that mean something :roll: ??
Maybe it will explode on the run!!! That would be glorious :lol:

Love it. I seriously think you should shoot that video tommorrow and not Saturday. I cant wait that long. Very much looking forward to a video from you and also Cobrafreaks bike in action. Cant wait!!!!!

Sorry for the absence guys.
I'm on vacation so I don't care much about this computer :D
Here is the vid. It's short but cool.

I did 59.4kmh (some 37mph) on this one when I let go of the throttle.
and yes Dowie, I'm gonna go for the jackshaft (I'm thinking about a CTV like cobra has - what are the pros and cons?).
I'm really happy with the looks, sound, stance, but I need to go faster :) I want to go faster :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL26UnAN8zE

thanks a lot and keep rollin'

Re: Villiers board tracker VIDEO!

The motor is able to get me going by it's own, but it takes a while before it reaches a decent speed.
As you saw I had to go some distance to pass the camera with some speed and only at the end of the road (when the bmw hit the brakes 8) ) did I made 37mph, let go of the throttle and started braking.
I think I nailed many aspects of the btrs but I lack the speed.
What is your advice concerning CVT and the jackshaft?
Thanks very much

Nice job..... that thing is sooooo cool!!!! Good work. I love this bike. So original

stocksucks said:
The motor is able to get me going by it's own, but it takes a while before it reaches a decent speed.
As you saw I had to go some distance to pass the camera with some speed and only at the end of the road (when the bmw hit the brakes 8) ) did I made 37mph, let go of the throttle and started braking.
I think I nailed many aspects of the btrs but I lack the speed.
What is your advice concerning CVT and the jackshaft?
Thanks very much

You could use a CVT if you wanted, but it's not necessary for your machine. I would still reccomend the jack shaft route. You can better gear your machine. By the sound of your video, you were only hitting around 3,200 - 3,600 rpm when passing the camera. With a jack shaft you can bring your rpm up to around 4,200 rpm at 30-37 mph. This will give you more low end power, and quicker accelleration to top speed.

stocksucks said:
Thanks guys.
Dowie, the jackshaft will only improve the low power or will it also be able to increase top speed?

The jackshaft and proper sprocket ratios will help both your low end torque and top end speed. Right now your motor is not achieving top rpm. You want to dial in your sprocket ratios so that your bike is going 30-35 mph at 4,200 rpm. Right now your bike hits 50+ mph when on the stand, (no rider) at top rpm right? You want to change your sprocket ratios so that your bike hit's 30-35 mph at top rpm on the stand. You will notice a huge improvement in accelleration to top speed.

Back