Justin's Bicycle Shop, Open For Charity!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general, I don't think there is much "collectable worth" to a lot of ladies bikes. They are typically worth more as parts bikes for mens bikes. I will be removing the tank, front and rear racks, chainguard, seat, etc....... from my Meteor Flite.

I feel the same, had that JC Higgins been a man's bike I'd be thinking about what I was going to do with it, while I already know what I'm doing with the lady bike... turning it into a pile of parts. The lady it came from was the original owner, she paid $20 for it new. I need to save these old lady frames for a burrito build.

Justin,
I don't know what your plans are for the tricycle (flip it/part it), but there are some cool 'reusable' parts on it. Those emblems would look great on rat rod tank for starters, the front fender would look great on the rear of a scooter, and that headlight cowling....... :roll:

You may be able to pull the emblems and still flip it (best of both worlds)

Good luck and great work you're doing. You may never know the influence you have on the kids you help out, but trust me, you do.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Justin,
I don't know what your plans are for the tricycle (flip it/part it), but there are some cool 'reusable' parts on it. Those emblems would look great on rat rod tank for starters, the front fender would look great on the rear of a scooter, and that headlight cowling....... :roll:

You may be able to pull the emblems and still flip it (best of both worlds)

Good luck and great work you're doing. You may never know the influence you have on the kids you help out, but trust me, you do.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Doc, right now my daughter is riding this tricycle, I also have one of the trikes like you get at farm supply stores with the heavy duty frame and big pneumatic tires that will remain in the family, but I've also recently acquired 2 heavy duty school playground tricycles and a cheap Mongoose tricycle that I will be donating to my son's preschool, currently the kids fight over the tricycles they already have there that are falling apart.

You are right though, very cool parts/ideas on this tricycle. I will be fixing the light, just has a bad battery pack (already have a replacement) and needs the switch on the handlebars rewired. Why does a tricycle need a headlight? I don't know, but it will stay.

Today at Justin's Bicycle Shop I will be doing some spring cleaning (per Mrs. Justin), this will include scrapping some bikes. :( :shock: I normally give any scrap steel to the roving junk men to cruise the alleys here, but today I have enough metal all at once to actually reap the benefits myself. I will be piling all the steel I can on my trailer for a trip to the recycler for some money. I know my scrap guy won't be happy when he sees some stuff gone and knows that it didn't go into his truck, but it's my trash, I might as well finally make some money off of it.

Don't you hate it when the CEO makes you downsize!!!??????

kingfish254 said:

Haha, I would if she was indeed making me, she just says its time to clean up, and I see this as a good time to throw out some stuff and make some money at the same time. Scrap guy stopped by a few minutes ago, he's circling like a shark, he won't be happy when he sees some big pieces gone.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Haha, I would if she was indeed making me, she just says its time to clean up, and I see this as a good time to throw out some stuff and make some money at the same time. Scrap guy stopped by a few minutes ago, he's circling like a shark, he won't be happy when he sees some big pieces gone.
Ive been thinking about telling the scrappers around my area the first one that brings me a cruiser that dont look like its been ran over can have the 10 or so frames I have stacked up

dragnusa said:
Ive been thinking about telling the scrappers around my area the first one that brings me a cruiser that dont look like its been ran over can have the 10 or so frames I have stacked up

If you get them on a regular schedule to your house and just give them something here and there, they will bring you bikes. My guy offers me bikes and sometimes I'll take the whole thing, sometimes I just grab a wrench and grab parts off of it.

Hold onto a small collection of copper (old pipe, wire, whatever) and offer that up as a good trade.

Thursday April 5th: The boy I gave the Mongoose frame to the other day showed up today with his old bike taken all apart on a wagon with the new frame. I started putting it back together to find that he had lost many important parts. Ugh. So I dug around and put together as much as I could to help him and then sent him on his way as we had a Maunday Thursday service to attend.

Friday April 6th: Today I started out in the morning cleaning up the rogue bikes, stripping them down and putting what was left on the trailer to make some money at the scrapper. Part way through my morning clean up the kids showed up, once again pulling a wagon full of bicycle parts. I started putting the Walmart Mongoose bikes back together and soon he was riding, luckily they had brought a new kid with them and he was interested in learning, working, and helping. All these kids were 2nd-5th grade, about 5 of them hung out for over 3 hours working on bikes, riding the spincycle, the new scooter, the monkey bike, and others.

I would grab a bike from the yard and strip the crank + cups, the fork + cups, and anything else I might think I'd need to build bikes. One of my favorite things was chopping up a good OCC Chopper bike and throwing it in the scrap pile. :mrgreen:

I pulled out a 16" girl's bike, made a few adjustments and we gave that to a family hosting a young exchange student this Summer and told them not to give it back, pass it on, sell it, whatever. Enjoy!

After cleaning the bikes from my house I went to my storage facility over by the church and loaded up even more there. I'd say I have about 15-20 bikes on the trailer. I didn't save much except for a few frames that I envision being more tall bikes, I will not rest until I have a fleet of them.

Next project, organizing all the parts I so hastily yanked off and threw into the shop. Ugh again.

Very cool!
You are doing some good works there!

Keep your eye open on CL for someone getting rid of the plastic tubs they used for attic storage or a move. It's a great way to organize your parts.

kingfish254 said:
Very cool!
You are doing some good works there!

Keep your eye open on CL for someone getting rid of the plastic tubs they used for attic storage or a move. It's a great way to organize your parts.

Oh, I've got tons of them, my wife kept all our children's old clothes for hand-me-downs. When we had another girl instead of boy we were able to start clearing all of our son's clothes giving us lots of extras, and now every season our little daughter gets into the next batch of hand-me-downs I acquire even more. Even cooler is that the new bike shop portion of my garage use to be the kitchen in the upstairs apartment, there is a pantry, upper cabinets, lower cabinets, drawers, and built-ins on one wall. Each part gets its own place, it's turning out to be really nice, the only problem is I can't see building my build-off bike upstairs like I did last year because I think it would get stuck up there with the extra width of the sidecar. I was going to make it permanent, but thinking of making it removable now.

so, ive chatted w/ you in the past and knew you were a good guy. yer still a helpfull soul.
id like to say you've got yer foot in the door of heaven, but that mite ruin my image :lol:
so ill just say ya done a good thing.
rock on wit yo bad self!

Justin,

I've been reading this thread, and chuckling right along. I'm kind of late with a reply, but since tomorrow is Easter, let me just say that I think you are a "Good Egg" for helping all the kids out. Believe me, they will not forget the times spent at your place as they go thru life. GOOD JOB! :D

Thanks for the props guys.

Well, like I said I was going to do, I loaded up the trailer. It all started with 3 steel poles, about 7 foot long each. They were the poles that held up one side of my old carport that was destroyed in the hurricane. Each one was very heavy, so I kept adding. Bike parts, other scrap steel, a storm door, bike frames, bed frames, etc... I drove to the scrap yard and onto the scales this morning. I didn't know what I was doing and had to ask help, but it was pretty easy. Drive across scales and out to the guy with the hard hat. The hard hat guy used a big claw to grab the stuff off my trailer, watching old bike frame fly through the air as he released them mid swing was fun. I drove back across the scales watching the weight... OK, I'm not that great at subtraction... that can't be right!? I thought I might have had 4 to 5 hundred pounds, but 1,160 lbs!!!! I just made $159.50 for just throwing stuff away... awesome.

I came back home and kept cleaning the yard, it's all clean now, but the shop is a mess. Gotta get that straight. I have all the "outdoor" bikes cleaned up now, and I added 2 bike racks, 1 to hold and secure the tall bikes and some old adult part bikes, and one beside the shop door for "customer parking" since most kids around here ditch their kickstands.

2 of the customers stopped by today just to see what was going on. Tomorrow is Easter and after morning services I have the rest of the day off, maybe the neighborhood kids will give the shop a day off... :lol: yeah right.

This morning:

SAM_0511.jpg

Back