Justin's Bicycle Shop, Open For Charity!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the kids brought me this wheel and said I could have it, said I could probably weld it back together... uhhh... no. :shock:

I think I'm going to send this photo to Mongoose and see what they have to say about it. It was a young kid and surprisingly he wasn't jumping. Mongoose has themselves covered though, their BMX bikes have a warning that says "NO TRICKS OR JUMPING" on them and their mountain bikes have a warning that say "NO OFF ROAD USE" haha, probably an indicator of what you are buying.

brokewheel.jpg

(yeah, I could've kept my foot out of the shot, but hey, that's what we do around here. :wink: )

KJV said:
yeah, it sure is.i was gonna buy one of those bikes;
just for the wheels. glad i declined .300+lbs..
that woulda been a nasty accident. :mrgreen:

The wheels do look cool, but cool only gets you so far... obviously. The other week I bought a Mongoose Rebel with the 5 star "mags" that are not the split spoke, I don't think I could brake them, they are very cool, painted black with a machined edge that makes them look sharpened. I paid $30 for the bike in excellent condition. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I've already taken the wheels off and hung them up in the shop.

Well, I've mentioned it before and will again, anyone in the area or passing through is welcome to get in touch with me and I will hook you up with whatever I can give you.

Yesterday was Easter and actually nobody came over for bike help. :shock:

Today my most frequent flyer came by and said his tire was loose? Turns out he needed to learn the difference in tire and wheel. This is the one who I gave the frame to and we swapped all his parts over onto. This bike is a Frankenstein... wish I had a banana and sissy bar, I bet he'd love it. Anyway, when he assembled the front of his bike he didn't tighten down both axle nuts on his front wheel and his bearing retainer had backed out some, well... a lot. Tightened it up and sent him on his way. He was back within an hour needing air in his rear tire, found a cut in his sidewall, that explains the last tube I had to put in for him, someone stabbed it. Well, I gave him one of those Mongoose flame tires, he'll be back so we can change it soon I'm sure.

yoothgeye said:
Well, I've mentioned it before and will again, anyone in the area or passing through is welcome to get in touch with me and I will hook you up with whatever I can give you.
If I still lived in newport news Id make a road trip lol.

dragnusa said:
yoothgeye said:
If I still lived in newport news Id make a road trip lol.

That trip has been made to my house for free parts/bikes before.

Again, my most dedicated shopper showed up today, his fork was out of alignment so I did what my dad taught me when I was a little boy, clamp front wheel in between your legs and yank the handlebars straight. And he rides off.

A girl came riding down the hill, stopping with her feet. Chain had fell off and got jammed between axle and dropouts, so I grabbed a wrench, loosened the axle nut, got the chain out, tightened axle nut and once again did what my dad taught me when I was a little boy, made sure chain was on rear sprocket and started chain on chainring and "pedaled" it back on.

Another girl riding the same bike :? showed up about 5 minutes later asking me to fix the front brake, it is completely destroyed and I told her to keep using the coaster brake. :mrgreen:

A church member called and asked if I still picked up bikes because his neighbor just put one by the curb, it was about 4 blocks away so I hopped in the Jeep and rode off. I got there and it was a Diamond Back Outlook MTB. 90s, made in USA, alloy rims, front has some rusty spokes, I threw it on the trailer. When I got home I took it off the trailer and looked it over. Someone got a smalldog leash stuck in the rear freewheel cassette. I cut it out with my pocket knife and put the chain back on. Hopped on the bike... both tires holding air (and my 200 pounds) and rode it down the street, shifted through all the gears. Wow. Stopped with front brake (canti) and reconnected the rear quick release on the that brake, perfect working bike.

I told my wife (trying to justify another bike in the yard) that this bike is better than most riding on the roads around here, she looked at me and said "Sounds like it's better than mine if it shifts through the gears." :oops: Maybe it's time to fix her shifters...

No big customers this week, just air in tires and small adjustments.

Today I'm trying to organize the shop a little and had to remove a lot of the bikes to the yard to get around in the shop, so far nobody has stopped in try and buy anything. Since I've been working an older gentleman stopped by on a road bike I sold him this summer, he hit a rock and bent his back wheel, I tried to true it up a little for him, but it has a broken spoke and I got nothing in a 700c.

Here's what the yard looks like now.

View of most:
SAM_0533.jpg

Giveaway bikes:
SAM_0534.jpg

My SS rigid 29er, my wife's old Scott MTB, and a friend's MTB I'm suppose to do something to:
SAM_0535.jpg

Cruisers:
SAM_0536.jpg

Build-off bike frame and "spare parts" and my Sand Rover:
SAM_0537.jpg

This one is bent:
SAM_0538.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
That's a cute little wreath on your shop door. Man I can't believe all those bikes fit in there :lol:

Yeah, I bought the shop from a retired clown, you should've seen his moving van.

yoothgeye said:
Yeah, I bought the shop from a retired clown.

From one clown to another! :mrgreen:

Yesterday I had to straighten some handlebars, then a boy showed up with a flat, I was tired of fixing it so I gave him the Murray USA mountain bike.

They were waiting around the corner to pounce when I got home today, I had to fix a snapped link on a kid's bike. Seems the local kids are all wanting "pro" BMX bikes, instead of Wally World bikes. I get that. I have one kid on a nice Eastern come and I work on his bike, but many of the kids have been asking me about "Framed" brand "pro" BMX bikes. I have seen the bike a couple times around town, just a white bike with black components and a very simple "Framed" sticker on it, so I looked them up today, seems like only available on eBay for $139 with free shipping. Looks decent.

That's the bike that showed up today with the broken chain link, I like the bike, but it's just got a 1 piece crank, no name brand parts, but with just a rear brake and the micro drive on it, it's a very convincingly cool BMX bike.

I then tightened up a crank arm on a Walmart Genesis BMX bike, the chrome one with fake anodized (read: candy orange paint) parts. And these boys liked bikes, so I sent them away with 2 more free bikes, a 12" kids bike and the 16" chopper I made a couple years back.

Then I was hit with the worst headache I've ever had in my life, I couldn't think, couldn't see straight. I get migraines, but mine come with nausea, this was just an intense headache, made me cry... it's still lingering. Ouch.

Back