STBO Kraveliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be a step thru frame bike built on a gravel bike theme, but not with drop bars, it'll be along the lines of a klunker but with skinnier tires. So a mix of gravel and klunker.
I originally though this was a cheap frame the wife bought, but as I cleaned it up found it was decent Japanese quality.
frame1.jpg

I found a registration decal on it that I thought was in Japanese.
reg.jpg

The Japanese only keep their city bikes for a few years then trade up. The old ones get shipped to other countries, and the Philippines gets a lot of them. There's a big market because of their quality and utility. I went to a translation webpage and found out this bike was registered in the Niigata Prefecture in Japan.
niigata prefecture.jpg

I built it up as the Leopard Lady, using 26" wheels as it came with new. Maybe 26 x 1 3/8ths.
08 Apr 24 copy2.jpg

It didn't see much use, so it was fair game for this build. I painted it like a leopard but it will get something completely different for this build.
I have a wheeleset I built recently, 700C using gold spokes and a Sturmey Archer kickback hub with coaster brake. They fit this frame and forks. Tires are 38mm, the widest I found at the time.
frame.jpg
With the 2 speed, it has a direct and high gear, so a smaller chain wheel will give me a good low gear for offroad and high gear will be good for normal cruising on the road. I have 39 tooth and 36 tooth chain wheels to choose from and can swapout the cog on the kickback hub if needed. I'll start with 39/22 and see how that works out. I have 2 leather seats to pick from also.
seats cranks.jpg

No handlebars yet. I would like klunker bars. If I'm lucky enough to find a good American step thru frame this all could change.

I threw the parts together using BMX bars for the time being. They might work ok. I may swap out the standard fork for a chrome newer style. I'll get in a test ride soon and see how the gear ratio is. Not today or tomorrow even though it just needs a chain. We have flood warnings with a tropical system ready to dump a lot of rain.
01 Sep 24 mockup.jpg

01 Sep fork.jpg

I checked the chain line and it's way off.
02 Sep chainline.jpg

The old bb extends out too far for any of my cranksets. I have a new sealed bb that is just right, but the old bb won't loosen up.
02 Sep bb.jpg
02 Sep wrench.jpg

I'll take it by the bike shop and let them get it loose.

I tried the chrome fork, just barely enough room at the top for the tire. I like it better than the originals.
02 Sep fork.jpg
02 Sep fork2.jpg

IMG_5579.png

Just put a long bolt straight through there to hold it all together. Nice and tight.

Then tap with a mallet.

Or

With everything bolted as shown. Line up the wrench handle just an inch or two below the chain stay. Then wrest the bottom bracket on the floor. Then step on the chainstay. Same type of leverage as a pair of bolt cutters. It should pop loose.

I tried it. The spindle wasn't hollow so I had to find a bolt long enough with the right threads. There were none with the right threads so I used a
standard bolt and it threaded into the spindle about 5 turns, which was enough to secure the bb adapter thing.
02 sep bba.jpg
02 sep bbb.jpg

I should have put the wrench on before the bolt, the washer kept the box end of the wrench from sliding over, so I used the open end and laid it on the floor. I should have worn my good slippers for pics.
02 sep bbc.jpg

That damaged the bb tool as the wrench rounded off the edges, so I redid it and used the box end up on the workbench and used the hammer to tap it. Success!
02 sep bbdjpg.jpg

First video of the build off?

The new bb went in with some grease on the threads and the chain line looks good.
02 sep bbfjpg.jpg

Now it's a rider and ready to test. I think a plain matte black paint job would work on this.
02 sep bbgjpg.jpg

Latest posts

Back