Lets See Those 26" BMX Styled Cruiser Builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sell-out move, installing a chain like that. :crazy: Is that a Monterrey? I rebuilt one of those for a friend; it was a lot of fun on the post-tune shakedown ride. Hers was a SS CB model. Frame looked just like yours.

Actually, I don't remember... I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago. Took the sticker off the chain guard soon after. I kinda think it said Good Vibrations, but I could be wrong. (edit: found an old pic. it actually said Beach Comber) There's actually a bike on the very first page of this thread that looks like the same exact one as mine down to the color and the cheap caliper brakes and 5-speed drive train that mine had.

Funny about the Monterey, though... I have a Monterey frame in the basement with really nice burgundy paint that looks like the exact same design as this one except that the fork and rear bridge aren't drilled for caliper brakes. If I come across a set of 26" coaster wheels, I'll build it up as a coaster twin to this one.

Last edited:
Aaaand here we go. Think I got pretty close to the look I was going for. It's amazing the huge visual difference you can get just changing the seat and tires. Not crazy about the sprocket design and I want to upgrade the cheap brakes, but they're never really done, are they?

20160904_093250sz.jpg

20160904_093306sz.jpg

20160904_093756sz.jpg

--rick

Older build, long since sold (money got tight last summer) so I know it's been seen before, but a fun one nonetheless- '39 DX:
IMG_20150717_200104.jpg

And my Jr. High commuter, here about 1981 before it got the Team Schwinn cranks and CBR forks :)

Cruiser.jpeg

That rear hub is a S-A 3-speed with an external 3-speed cluster conversion.

Aaaand here we go. Think I got pretty close to the look I was going for. It's amazing the huge visual difference you can get just changing the seat and tires. Not crazy about the sprocket design and I want to upgrade the cheap brakes, but they're never really done, are they?

View attachment 33101

--rick

I know it's kind of a junker, but I liked this one so much I built it a sibling. Not a twin, but the same general idea. My 12-year-old likes the blue one, so now we can ride them together.

20160917_154247sz.jpg

20160917_165458 (2)sz.jpg

20160917_154901 (2)sz.jpg

20160917_154624 (2)sz.jpg

The aluminum wheels make such a difference on the burgundy one that I'm thinking about finding a set for the blue one.

I'm imagining a 26" squareback Redline style frame in nickel plate.

Oh yeah, I should probably mention that the Schwinn I just posted pics of is running a Genuine Bicycle Products alloy seatpost.

That is the plan, working with Rob from AZ..some 29" cruisers, some 26? we'll see, we'll see. While I think frames are the core of the whole thing, the small bits sell. I have a surprise for you all next week perhaps, you'll be stoked!!!

Back