lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used this as the shifter in my pickup but it will be my shifter handle on my bike once i get a hub with gears
glass-door-knob-11.jpg

The frame is a Mongoose Zuma, from the late 1990s. I got it from a swap meet in Tucson. It has been a very good steed.

alright then, cools.. i had a feeling it was a mongoose, but it has the look of a higher quality ride..
id build up one.. look like a nice ride with potential..

Here is the old school Sears Spyder 5 speed shifter that I modified for Flexy. I remved the rear detent tab to get more cable travel and use it to shift my Nexus 7 hub.
It also has 4 speed ranges - Mach - Warp - Ludicrous and of course the fastest is "11" because it is one more.

aIMG_8010.jpg

Im trying to figure something out..... Im going to run a Nexus 3-speed hub on my firebike im ordering and I want to run a type of suicide shifter but do I still have to run the piece that comes off the side of the hub or can it be modified so I can have the shifter in that spot...

This is what im talking about replacing...

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/intern ... ampar4.jpg

With this....

http://hbbcinc.com/catalog/images/suicide-shifter.jpg

I would just like to be able to put the new shifter on the side of the hub where that controller is mounted. Maybe it is possible maybe not I figured you guys were the ones who would know.... In the end I guess I could mount it like on this firebike but I was hoping to not have any lines or anything mounted on the side of frame.

http://img.fotocommunity.com/images/Zwe ... 319861.jpg

Well, the shifter turns rotary movement of the level into linear movement of a cable. The "piece that comes off the side of the hub" is the bellcrank mechanism that translates that cable movement into the plunge required to slide the gear engagement back and forth. If you think about what the parts actually do and how they move, you'll realize that what you're asking for isn't real practical.

Now, you could potentially put the shifter just ahead of the bellcrank, thereby preserving the correct movement of components, but for a shifter to work mounted right on the axle end, the shift lever would have to travel side to side instead of front to back. It would be upright in second gear, and pointed either at the wheel or out to the side in the high and low. Or, I suppose, you'd have to devise a linkage or maybe have an awkward looking cable loop around somehow...

Bike might just not have a shifter then... the grey firebike is the only one I've seen I liked and I can't find a good side pic so I don't really know. Regardless it will be fine....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Here is my Project 356 shifter on Firewing with a yard sale antique glass door knob. The stem threads were smaller than the knob threads, so I just used a valve cap as an insert reducer.
IMG_2610_zpse6f7f888.jpg

WP_002478_zps81c312a4.jpg

Colyn. said:
Anyone know where I can find a stick shifter for a nexus 7 hub?

I used an old muscle bike 5 speed friction shifter for my Nexus 7 on Flexy.

kingfish254 said:
Here is the old muscle bike 5 speed twin tube shifter that I used on BO7 Flex-Liner 7 with a Nexus 7 hub. All I had to do to make it work was break off the high gear detent tab. It shifts like a dream. I added a mini 7 pool ball drawer pull knob. I also added a label that shows the available speed ranges MACH - WARP - LUDICROUS - 11

aIMG_8010.jpg

aIMG_8120.jpg

Thanks guys! I really wish I could figure out what this fluid is using because I like the way its mounted and everything. Being that the bike is bent square tubing it makes it tough to find something that look like it flows with the design and style I'm going with on it.

uge3a4ev.jpg

I want the least amount of cable possible and will most likely try to run it inside frame as much as possible if I don't mount it like the gray bike.

Colyn. said:
Thanks guys! I really wish I could figure out what this fluid is using because I like the way its mounted and everything. Being that the bike is bent square tubing it makes it tough to find something that look like it flows with the design and style I'm going with on it.

I want the least amount of cable possible and will most likely try to run it inside frame as much as possible if I don't mount it like the gray bike.

That looks like it is probably a Project 346 3 speed shifter.

Your exactly right and blah... I don't care for those honestly seeing one up close. I do however like the suicide shifter from HBBC. but it only says for the three speed twist shifter and I'm not sure if the nexus 3 and 7 use the same style shifter just more speeds.

That is really nice ED-PV! Love the way it looks! I guess also the extra weight is supported by the mount as it is held on the end rather than just the plastic on the grip shift, smart thinking!

Luke.

Back