lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. But I bet we're all about to! I look forward to your skillful adaptation.:thumbsup:
i opened the shifter hoping to use the mech in a different way , but its much more complex inside then i expercted , i still have a idea , but i first need to rivet it back togeter before i do anything else :doh:

DSC00694.JPG

From the MBBO #4... Cycledelic
I didn't end up using the tiki dude since it's resin and it was heavy.
I swapped it out for a chicken foot! Then just recently it has been changed again to a drawerpull that looks like a 4 speed shifter knob. FYI in the position shown it's in 3rd and it pulls back to up shift to an easier gear.
croppadelic.jpg

Carl.

EDIT 3/19/16: Thanks to Webshots the photos disappeared. Thanks to RRB, I am now able to put them back.
This shifter still works great and is now 10 or so years old.

RatRoyale.jpg
Linkage.JPG
Shift Mech.JPG

Somewhat primitive in design, but with the "idiot proof" theory applied. This is now 6 years old, and still works just like it should. One up close shot, one from far enough away to see the shift lever. Can you say "suicide?"

Not as nice as some of the more machined pieces that have come along in the last few years, but I did what's here with what I had on hand at the time. I don't have any welding equipment so it is a bolt-on piece.

Thanks for looking, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
For mine I took some inspiration from this thread, so it's more then fair to share the result:
PhotoGrid_1431547318892.jpg

It's made out of a standard gripshift as a base, a long threaded bolt and a piece of a (chinese) pedal as lever. The housing used to be a camera lens extension plus the backside of a pocket watch in it's first live.
Works like a charm!

How are you guys attaching shift knobs to the HBBC shifters? Do you have to buy a second shifter handle with threads on top?

Last edited:
Here's my idea. It's for a nexus 8 hub made out of a rapid fire shifter.

5c440dda357915f29cc3f333b48edaa2.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-N910F mediante Tapatalk

b22514a269e2b1ecb97c8919f6fb8f30.jpg

a51b9b9184007628f684f3f90b948d01.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
How does the backside of the shifter look?
or
How did you fix the long lever to the original lever?

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

Is machined out to fit over the original lever.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Nice work! Thanks for the info!

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

Here is my latest creation. Anyone know why a picture that is upright on my computer shows up rotated when I post it here?

IMG_1952.JPG

Repurposed downtube shifters to look something like cockpit adjustment levers of some sort.

upload_2016-9-5_19-15-5.png

How it looks now (bikes are seldom finished)

upload_2016-9-5_19-16-34.png

Just got my custom BoxKars shifter in the mail. So pleased with it! Jeff the owner was so helpful and easy to work with, he even provided me with 2 inserts for the clamp, just to make sure it fit perfectly on my frame. It's a 7" shifter, mounted so I can reach it with my right hand without much strain, as I have a injury in my right shoulder. It's perfect for me. Only took a few minutes to install, and works like a charm. I also got the 8-ball shift-knob, a real poolball. Makes me wonder how many sets of billiard balls Jeff has laying around, all missing the 8.. :D I've just installed it, and theres about 2 feet of snow here right now, so I only have inside-pics.. They'll do for now:) I highly recommend these shifter and Boxkars, super high quality and fantastic customer service.
20170130_182903.jpg

Safe packaging made sure it survived the harsh trip half way around the globe.
20170130_185834.jpg

Looks great on my Ghostrider.
20170131_021143.jpg

Here it is in 2nd gear. Easy to reach.
20170131_021158.jpg

:D

Last edited:
20170413_181110.jpg
I made a "sequential" or slap shifter by combining some random front shifter off a mountain bike that returns to center position after you shift with a Shimano 333 hub.. the spring helps support the weight of the shift knob...

Latest posts

Back