LocoJoe's Recent Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Pedalers Jamboree Video)

Great video Randy! Better than TV :D
Saw the tunnel ghost guy so I feel better now :lol:
Still not sure what he was doing...

Sorry it took you so long to hear the bluegrass
Then when you got it, it was Nirvana style :lol:

How many thousands of people do you think were there? (Wow)

The whole thing sounds like a great time, thanks for sharing

great video. i prolly would have signed up to camp, and then gotten out on the trail and said, oh, man, will all these hippies be at the campsite? :) some great musical styles out there. ;)

looks like a great time. what a huge crowd of peple...

Awesome video...here are my observations...

1. What is it about bicycle related events that are so appealing to freaks & hippies? :lol:

2. Seems like Nova was handling her brewskis better than Randy on day one....where are we? :lol:

3. Not sure, but I got the feeling from your facial expressions that the day two ride back was something you weren't as excited about.

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Pedalers Jamboree)

aka_locojoe said:
Jerry I might warn you... After retiring I found out there was a direct link between having a job and having money :lol: .
wish you wouldn't say that... :D

I thought I was the only one guilty of making bike riding videos too long :oops: :D I was wishing that yours was longer!!!!
Lots of fun, great music!

Quite a mix of people, freaks, hippies, spandex types and then us... assuming we don't fall in to the freak category :lol:

Yeah we were a little bit worn out on the 2nd day but it was still a great day. We vowed to drink less beer and more water on the second day but what do we do?... go off and forget our water bottles at the hotel. The first stop we get to we tried to get bottled water but they were out. Nova was smart and opted for lemonade. It was a great time and we'll do it again. We both like this event better than the Tour De Fat which I never thought I'd say. So fun to get all the riding in.

Actually we're not big bluegrass fans and we thought it was going to be all bluegrass so we were pleasantly surprised when the first few bands weren't bluegrass.

The Boonville Daily News reported over 3000 cyclists. I didn't see that many but you are spread all out along the trail.

Flat story...
Nova got a flat from a sharp rock. I went to patch it but could not find the whole (forgot to mark where rock was when I pulled it out). I got out a spare tube which once I aired up realized also had a leak. Patched it and then the valve stem started leaking. I didn't have a valve stem tool on me so I just put the original tube back in and we milked it the last 4 miles or so to town stopping every so often for me to pump it up. Once I pumped it up she'd take speeding off and then I'd catch back up to her once it was flat and repeat the process. Oh and that reminds me... we stopped in this bike shop in Boonville which was quite the place and quite the character of an old man running it. Here's some bad photos. Wish I'd gotten better ones and would have looked around more.

P1150108.JPG

P1150111.JPG

P1150115.JPG

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Tunnel Hill Trail Illinois)

Tunnel Hill State Trail in Illinois our 2nd ride on this trip. It's a 47 mile long trail that we rode twice. We rode half the trail out and back each day.

Another 2 day ride so another long video... http://youtu.be/RAgAO9bVNAE
This video has something you've probably been expecting to eventually see in one of my videos :roll:

P1150440.JPG

P1150395.JPG

P1150406.JPG

Lots of cool pictures. It is awesome to see the places you ride and the events. I like the Xtracycle cocktail kit.

Thanks Cman.

Also want to share this photo of my best bud. She's a lot of fun and a good sport about putting up with me and my photo taking and silly video making.
Here she is on the Katy trail. Left is 14 years ago and right is 1 week ago.

Nova_Katy.jpg

Awesome videos as always Randy, wish I would of known you guys were so close, I could of told you were the better greasy spoons and watering holes were at least :mrgreen:

sometimes you end up being the freaks by just being the people who wear plain street clothes. :D

life with you certainly seems to agree with her. :)

you don't see many at-grade railroad crossings like that. i always wanted to see one that was still functional. i have questions about how they work. ;) i guess i could find one on google images, but i wanna touch it and sit on it.

that high steel trestle is awesome. i got all spinny when you held the camera out over the edge.

glad the camera survived the crash. i'm always amazed how much you ride with one hand. what made you fall?

Thanks Jeremy. Yeah it never crossed my mind we were in your neck of the woods till we were leaving like we talked earlier.

Thanks Bill. I just assumed the railroad that crossed paths with us was put in later after the one we were riding was put out of service. I never thought about there being actual crossings like that.
My fall... I was riding with the left hand while filming with the right. Nova hollered out there was a hole in the trail and I tried to brake (front) to stop but hit the hole as I was applying the front brake and up and over I go. My thought process afterwards... Did anyone see me? Is the camera ok? Did I get that on film?

My crash makes a good case for riding a coaster brake bike while operating a camera.

Bill in Houston said:
life with you certainly seems to agree with her. :)

touches home so much with ms jerrykr right here

always love the video adventures, they end too soon!

I always feel healthier after watching your videos. :lol:

I think Clif Bar needs to sponsor these trips. :wink:

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Bar Tour & Cajun Dinner)

Thanks Jerry and I gathered that about you two.

Bill that crossing is interesting. Got my curiosity up now.

Steve Mt Dew never contacted me about sponsorship so I quit drinking it and yeah maybe Clif Bars now :lol: The Clif Bars are new to us. We found them on sale and bought several for this trip. Not too unhealthy (I don't think), taste pretty good and convenient/easy to carry. We made a diet change beginning of this year and we thought the bars would be filling if we couldn't find something to eat at the Pedaler's Jamboree. Turned out not to be a problem as naked hippies were grilling up veggie burgers. So I ate both bars and burger.
No picture of the naked hippies but here's their veggie burger.
naked_hippy_veggie_burger.jpg

And the hippies weren't actually naked that's just the name they went by.

This trip we only got in 2 trails as each one was a 2 day ride and we needed to get home for a ride our friends host each year. It's a bicycle bar tour and Cajun dinner that the hosts cook. This event is different than other bike stuff we do as a lot of the participants aren't "bike people". They don't normally ride and borrow bikes and the host also provides several. Here's photos from the bar tour...

P1150907.JPG

P1150852.JPG

P1150665.JPG

P1150731.JPG

P1150801.JPG

P1150760.JPG

I've got enough RTR bikes that I could host a ride for people that don't normally ride, but since I can't really do the drinking thing, I wonder what kind of destination(s) I would plan...

Thanks Jeremy.

yoothgeye said:
I've got enough RTR bikes that I could host a ride for people that don't normally ride, but since I can't really do the drinking thing, I wonder what kind of destination(s) I would plan...
This particular event has been going on 19 years now. It's invitation only and not open to everyone like our club rides. First thing we do on this ride is ride to a place for lunch then on to bars and back to house for dinner.

Other destinations or themes could be ...

Ride for a meal and then on to another place for dessert. You could even have a destination for appetizers.
Coffee ride. Ride to different stops for coffee.
House tour. Get historic or unusual homes to open up and give tours.
History ride. Study up on the history of your area and give a tour.
Ride to a movie, play etc then for snack or dessert after.

crawfish boil, fish fry, pig roast, chili cook-off, whatever you want!

quote: "Other destinations or themes could be ... Ride for a meal and then on to another place for dessert. You could even have a destination for appetizers."

We call this "grazing". Rather than riding to one spot and drinking, eating and having dessert there, we spread it out. Drink it at one place (or two), appetizer at next place, then an entree at another place... or just keep getting apps at multiple places, then finish up with dessert somewhere else. Takes all day. Fun.

Back