UNLIMITED LumberJacked

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your oil / petroleum jelly technique! I also really liked the black on the primer! Maybe you can sand away (with a white vinegar loaded #0000 steel wool or S.O.S. pad) some of the khaki green to bring those back up a bit. Be interesting to see how you incorporate the mustard into the mix.

RaT oN~!

I did some wiping off the oil and petroleum jelly then a little sanding and I'll try the #0000 to see what happens. The black is REALLY thin to let the red visually come thru. I am also Really liking how the petro jelly (with just a light dab from the tip of the bristles) mimics chips or other impacts.

As far as the mustard mix, I am still a little shy to implement. Time permitting, I'll find your and/or @The Renaissance Man BO thread for guidance.

Lookin’ groovy,baby, yeah!!

Cool. Thanx. I did some light sanding and I feel that it's actually looking kinda good for my 1st time.......

Be interesting to see how you incorporate the mustard into the mix.
OJ, I forgot to ask; do you apply the mustard mix to bare metal only? I do have a few locations where I have steel uncoated/unprotected.....

Cool. Thanx. I did some light sanding and I feel that it's actually looking kinda good for my 1st time.......

OJ, I forgot to ask; do you apply the mustard mix to bare metal only? I do have a few locations where I have steel uncoated/unprotected.....

The mustard is typically applied to either the bare metal, original patina that you want to save, or your rat-ina coat of primer / rust colored spray / etc. Then your top coat is applied immediately on after the mustard is splotched on where you want it. Wait about 15 mins or so, depending on humidity levels. Then using a strong spray from a garden hose, spray down the whole frame, lifting the mustard off and revealing what's underneath.

Without seeing what your frame looks like after petro jelly removal, from your description I'm guessing you have achieved a similar result.

Latest posts

Back