Maybe one more

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U.S.,
I agree that it isn't your style, but dang!
It was, and still is, a cool idea, maybe weld a few of the same type/style together with spacers in between to achieve the thickness (could even wrap and weld chain around it for 'safety' and rigidity) and then weld it to a gusset that attaches where the frame comes to a point and make it match the curve/look of the dropouts?

Sorry, just 'air designing' other folks builds :D See what you started, U.S.? :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Dr. T

zoso said:
need to laser/water jet a custom thick one that just looks like a sprocket maybe.
Mark and I were talking and it might look cool if you designed a bike around bike parts. He suggested maybe some rear sprockets for the dropouts too. If I had welded to the BB instead of the edge of the skiptooth sprocket it would have worked ok. Might not have looked as good.

Decedent said:
Hey U.S.,I am seriously diggin' that BB idea.What's the best way to smooth out all the welds to make them look super clean? Lookin' forward to the finished product.
Those flap disks on a 4 1/2'' grinder and the best way. They come in all differant grits. Once you use them ,you dont want to use the regular grinding wheels anymore.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
U.S.,
I agree that it isn't your style, but dang!
It was, and still is, a cool idea, maybe weld a few of the same type/style together with spacers in between to achieve the thickness (could even wrap and weld chain around it for 'safety' and rigidity) and then weld it to a gusset that attaches where the frame comes to a point and make it match the curve/look of the dropouts?

Sorry, just 'air designing' other folks builds :D See what you started, U.S.? :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Dr. T
There are endless posibilities to solve the problem ,but it seemed to me it was getting out of hand. I design pretty much simple and this wasnt it. :wink:

Working under a handicap...pulled a muscle in my back.....got the BB welded in and most of the welds sanded. Still will be lots of die grinding on the ones I cant get to with my sander. Looks better anway.

normal001.jpg

normal002.jpg

Thanks Mark. I was thinking pain pills. :roll: :roll: Might as well be happy while you hurt. Got some left from my tooth repair fiasco. They dont make your back any better , but you dont care. :wink:

Hey thanks ...the bike is fine I'm sick....just kidding , its comming right along. Not fast but it will get there.

frame turned out sweet. needs a big fat brooks welded right to the frame and some flipped moon bars to complete it.

Cool, that looks pretty good for a guy with a bad back and all litt up on pain pills :lol: :lol:. Really do like the BB on there better than the sprocket deal. Good luck with your back man. Like my father in law always says "getting old aint for the sissys"

Stretch you forget 'm older....need a comfy seat .....long pull back bars. If I was 20 years younger I could do the crunched up riding position.

Maddog thanks. Seems like this build is in slow motion. I grind and weld and still there is more to grind and weld. I'm dreading the bondo the welds part. All the twin tubes are going to make it a nightmare. I will never use double tubes again. I should have already been finished with this one. I like the BB mount too....what was I thinking? I guess I was trying to keep up with the cool bikes. :roll: :roll:

The bottom tube and the back seat post are 1'' and the rest double tubes are all 5/8'' od. Got it all welded and sanded ,so maybe this weekend I can get all the bondo work done. I'm ready for this one to be finished. :roll:

Actually I got the welds really smooth and I'm going to try just the nitro stan and see how it works.
nitrostan001.jpg

Thanks Mark ,as with the rest of the build they were a pain to build. I wont do anymore like that either. If the tubes would have met and then the dropouts were on the top or the bottom of the tubes ,It would have been really simple.
Got the seatpost done too, so it was a fairly productive day

nitrostan003.jpg

I'm wondering at the rate I'm going if it will ever be in my garage. :roll: :roll: Useing all the twin tubing made it heavier, I hope its not a gravity bike. Oh well maybe the Honda 125 motor will end up on it anyway. :lol:

Been watching for 10 pages. Everytime I think I have a comment or exclamation, you do something else to make me speechless. I really like this frame. very nicely done.

Back