(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya'all know that sissy bar is around a foot wide? I'm guessing Luke will curve it around the tire. Me, I like the skateboard seat better....

Carl.

I'm thinking 'naner seat set up in the middle pic above. Something about that just looks right...balance....
Thanks for the vote!
I like the nanner with the simple sissy. Would be a great way to make it a runner.
Thanks for the vote!
Would need a wheelie bar for sure that far back, bit it does look cool in that middle pic. Basically riding the Hoosier. LOVE IT.

Building... riding...
Thanks for the vote!
I like the first one.
Thanks for the vote!
I don't think #1 detracts at all! This is just a slightly custom bike... (wink) So my vote is to go with one and keep the custom going. Looking great, Luke.
Thanks for the vote!
Ya'all know that sissy bar is around a foot wide? I'm guessing Luke will curve it around the tire. Me, I like the skateboard seat better....

Carl.
A foot would not be enough Carl! The tire is 14"! Yes, I would have to curl it around the tire, may even put some springs in there too if I go that way...
Thanks for the vote!
I vote saddle.:113:
Maybe: wide saddle.:39:
Definitely a wide saddle if I go that way!
Thanks for the vote KJV!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, still undecided as to what I will do.
Part of me wants to fit a standard banana seat to it to really highlight the width of the tire mounted underneath, but those standard skinny ones can be so uncomfortable!

Luke.

Thanks for the vote!

Thanks for the vote!

Thanks for the vote!

Thanks for the vote!

Thanks for the vote!

A foot would not be enough Carl! The tire is 14"! Yes, I would have to curl it around the tire, may even put some springs in there too if I go that way...
Thanks for the vote!

Definitely a wide saddle if I go that way!
Thanks for the vote KJV!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, still undecided as to what I will do.
Part of me wants to fit a standard banana seat to it to really highlight the width of the tire mounted underneath, but those standard skinny ones can be so uncomfortable!

Luke.
Luke, some of us have "hardened up" over the years in the saddle. My polo saddle on SF Woody doesn't feel bad at all. As long as everything is, um, arranged properly.....

Luke, some of us have "hardened up" over the years in the saddle. My polo saddle on SF Woody doesn't feel bad at all. As long as everything is, um, arranged properly.....
:21:

You might convince me yet!

Luke.

I spent way too much time deciding on the seat, in the end the answer came to me just as I was getting ready for bed last night...

The seat needed more curve!

So I drew this up:

21444865834_1c06fe23c2_z.jpg

Flows with the frame much better I think.

So today I went to work trying to build that seat, well, it kind of took on a life of it's own, in the end I stopped trying to fight it and just went with what it wanted to be...

Confused? Let me explain:

Started with some curved tube joined to some pieces off yet another set of kids bike handlebars, this time a Pacific Schwinn :

22054921562_c632d98e24_z.jpg

Welded them up and then discovered they were too long to fit where I wanted, but they looked good... So I just decided to cut the top of the curved frame tube to the right height and run the tubes past it with a tubing brace:

22041169276_b153e8bff4_z.jpg

All joints sleeved of course:

21879469488_16fabc46f6_z.jpg

I then started to try and think of how to join the sissy backrest side to side, ideally I needed a really tight radius bend, but I don't have anything like that, so while I was thinking about it I moved on to bracing the bottom bracket to the lower stays:

21880462949_749bc1e0dd_z.jpg

I then did the final trimming on the bottom bracket and fitted the crank arms for clearance check, all good!

21880461119_1c7df325de_z.jpg

Then I went back to the seat... I decided to run each side up to a point in the middle rather than a curve, so chopped more of the handlebars up to create a nice curved point and then decided to join that to the seat with whatever remained of the curved tube I had left, there was not much, so I just measured it and cut it in half, one piece for each side, I figured I would just cut it down to the correct height when I worked it out...

I should have gotten photos at this point but I got carried away and went a little crazy!

With that all tacked up I held it up to the bike and tried to see how much to cut off, it looked really good at that height, so I cut nothing off the tubes!

Then I needed to check the angle, it was too vertical, so I laid it back a bit, looked better, a bit more looked better still, a bit more, a bit more, a bit more until I ended up with this:

21879172370_73e0649243_z.jpg

21446208373_01048b6110_z.jpg

In the end the seat kind of built itself, and I am really happy with it!
It is far crazier than I had it in any of my drawings but it works really well!

The fit for me riding is great, but now the seat is longer there is more chance of wheelies, I may need a wheelie bar yet!

Luke.

The metal work seems to happen so naturally for you, Luke! Turning ideas into gold....or steel as the case may be. Maybe a set of drop bars on the front to keep you pushed back in the saddle.....A nice big ram's horn type of drop....:wink1:

Slick seat frame work. It flows so well.

Really nice job, I like where it's gone to so far, all the curves blend together very nicely. The profile looks like a stick-man is leaned back and already riding it. :thumbsup:

The metal work seems to happen so naturally for you, Luke! Turning ideas into gold....or steel as the case may be. Maybe a set of drop bars on the front to keep you pushed back in the saddle.....A nice big ram's horn type of drop....:wink1:
Thanks OJ! It is surprising but I find the seat works perfectly and I don't slide forward on it...
I have some crazy bars planned, all I can reveal so far is that they will be tall!
Slick seat frame work. It flows so well.
Thanks KF! It really did design itself as it went along! Used up every inch of that 10' length of tube I curved up by standing on it back at the start...
Really nice job, I like where it's gone to so far, all the curves blend together very nicely. The profile looks like a stick-man is leaned back and already riding it. :thumbsup:
22043907966_6bb18a8e84_z.jpg

He looks happy! ;)

Luke.

It's all grins up at this end of the web. That bike is perfectly straddling the line between cute and tough. I like it a lot.

Carl.

What about what we called "Bull horns" when I was a kid and take a set of 10 speed handle bars turned up backwards, the bull is Lamborghini's logo you know. :nod:

That bike is perfectly straddling the line between cute and tough.
:thumbsup: Nice way to describe it Carl! Thank you!
Love the lines... Perfect!
Thanks Roadie!
Sweet :cool2::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Now,onto the ,
"Bull Horns ",,
Handlebars. :rofl:
What about what we called "Bull horns" when I was a kid and take a set of 10 speed handle bars turned up backwards, the bull is Lamborghini's logo you know. :nod:
So you guys are not feeling a set of 40" ape hangers? :39:

Luke.

Back