(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should throw some flipped bars on it and make it a board tracker.
:emo:

Seat frame looks killer! Love it from this angle especially.

21879172370_73e0649243_z.jpg

Another thought on this...you could leave some of the frame tubing showing on either end of the seat like this. Or make the seat even smaller. I think the back part that looks like a pointy sissy bar should be visible.

pedro2_zpsof1mbfbp.jpg~original

40" apes?
Holy shut the front door.
Now that's reaching for the stars.
Yeah the 40's sound great!
40" would look great!

40's were always the plan, even back on the original drawing from nearly 2 years ago:

18231441344_5063b41ba5_z.jpg

The design has changed enough now that the 100cm (40") length can all be above the headtube though and still be comfortable for almost anyone to ride. If I was building it only for me I could head more towards 50"... :eek:

40". With a twist.:cool2::thumbsup::39:
Curl up some 40" ramshorns....

Carl.
You guys are making it hard for me to surprise everyone when I get these bars built! :envy: Just kidding about being upset, I think everyone had realised by now that nothing on this bike will be in any way normal or stock looking so probably realised something was going to be special about them.

Here are some ideas I have had but the final design I came up with last night is the best fit for the bike I believe and I am keeping it under wraps until they are built.

22124567152_243488e76a_z.jpg

I think you should throw some flipped bars on it and make it a board tracker.
:emo:
Um... So, that is 5 votes for 40" apes and one for boardtracker?
Looks like the 40" tall boys win! Sorry King... :(
Seat frame looks killer! Love it from this angle especially.

21879172370_73e0649243_z.jpg
AWESOME,that frame......ART
Thanks Guys! I know I have said it before but, this bike is designing itself as it goes along to a certain extent, if you look at my original design I posted up higher, there is very little left of the original design aside from the short wheelbase and tall stance, the rest has pretty much just happened as it was being built. It has been great fun, sometimes I start the day with a goal in mind but end up somewhere far beyond what I had imagined...
Another thought on this...you could leave some of the frame tubing showing on either end of the seat like this. Or make the seat even smaller. I think the back part that looks like a pointy sissy bar should be visible.

pedro2_zpsof1mbfbp.jpg~original
That looks great! I have thought about this, but I have some other plans that fit in with a full length seat. I think the way I will be doing it may fit in with your point about the exposed sissy bar point though...
The padded and upholstered seat area will actually only be between the bars, it will not cover them at all, so the flow of the tubing is still there and not covered up. There will be enough padding on the seat though that it should still be comfortable and not feel like you are sitting on the steel tubes.

Kind of hard to explain, so here is a very quick Paint.net mock up using your colours:

22147553741_0a545b34ca_z.jpg

Not sure I explained that very well, but hopefully it gives you some idea?

Luke.

40's were always the plan, even back on the original drawing from nearly 2 years ago:

18231441344_5063b41ba5_z.jpg

The design has changed enough now that the 100cm (40") length can all be above the headtube though and still be comfortable for almost anyone to ride. If I was building it only for me I could head more towards 50"... :eek:

You guys are making it hard for me to surprise everyone when I get these bars built! :envy: Just kidding about being upset, I think everyone had realised by now that nothing on this bike will be in any way normal or stock looking so probably realised something was going to be special about them.

Here are some ideas I have had but the final design I came up with last night is the best fit for the bike I believe and I am keeping it under wraps until they are built.

22124567152_243488e76a_z.jpg

Um... So, that is 5 votes for 40" apes and one for boardtracker?
Looks like the 40" tall boys win! Sorry King... :(

Thanks Guys! I know I have said it before but, this bike is designing itself as it goes along to a certain extent, if you look at my original design I posted up higher, there is very little left of the original design aside from the short wheelbase and tall stance, the rest has pretty much just happened as it was being built. It has been great fun, sometimes I start the day with a goal in mind but end up somewhere far beyond what I had imagined...

That looks great! I have thought about this, but I have some other plans that fit in with a full length seat. I think the way I will be doing it may fit in with your point about the exposed sissy bar point though...
The padded and upholstered seat area will actually only be between the bars, it will not cover them at all, so the flow of the tubing is still there and not covered up. There will be enough padding on the seat though that it should still be comfortable and not feel like you are sitting on the steel tubes.

Kind of hard to explain, so here is a very quick Paint.net mock up using your colours:

22147553741_0a545b34ca_z.jpg

Not sure I explained that very well, but hopefully it gives you some idea?

Luke.
Sling seat...

I love your frame builds,altho Im not a great fan of big tire bikes yours are done very well,this may been asked and answered before but have you ever made for or produced frames for anyone?I know people stay away from doing that because it can go from doing what you love to do to being a job,I used to always build good quality older MTB's but I started to hate it because it became a job rather than a passion,plus your average joe wanted something cheap rather than a well specced older bike which made it too much of a hard sell,anyway,if the cost of shipping wasnt so much over the ditch I would have been keen on a frame made by LukeTheJoker.

Sling seat...
Good definition!
Way cool , seat design .:cool2:
Looking forward , to thè Bars.:tmi:
50" that would be my choice.:thumbsup:
:21: I have thought about it, believe me! 50"s would put me at full stretch, which basically means that very few other people could safely ride it, and I love sharing the thrill of riding one off customs with everyone I can... ;)
I love your frame builds,altho Im not a great fan of big tire bikes yours are done very well,this may been asked and answered before but have you ever made for or produced frames for anyone?I know people stay away from doing that because it can go from doing what you love to do to being a job,I used to always build good quality older MTB's but I started to hate it because it became a job rather than a passion,plus your average joe wanted something cheap rather than a well specced older bike which made it too much of a hard sell,anyway,if the cost of shipping wasnt so much over the ditch I would have been keen on a frame made by LukeTheJoker.
Thanks for the props EChain! Means a lot that someone would actually want me to build something for them!
I have in the past tried to build for people but my health is the biggest issue...

The other issue is that if someone wants a fat tire bike, I pretty much have to build the whole bike for them, not just the frame, or just the wheels... The frame needs to match the wheels, which need to run a custom hub set up to work, plus a matching width bottom bracket... I basically end up building a 90% bike, just needing finishing and paint, which is still cool, but not really what the customer wanted, they wanted to do part of it themselves...

It would be possible for me to build frames to suit readily available fat wheels like a 26x4 or something but then it really is just becoming a job as you said, there is no creative thinking there that others have not done before...

As always, shipping is the biggest issue with any of my builds, they just dont fit in a standard bike box... :21:
Holly Cow Luke !this is freaking amazing , i'll take one just like it but a bit longer haha!
Awesome bud !
Thanks C1!
Amazed. Just amazed. :41:
Thanks Crash! Hopefully I can get it completely done and maybe try for some cool paint before the deadline!

Luke.

totally agree with you on the fat tire builds,a frame built for standard wheels/ 2.30" tire at the most would be more of a reality but like most of us we love to build for ourselves,family and maybe only close friends,I have had so many people see my builds(to which I am an average ratter)and they are like "this is so cool build me one" then there is the fact that in new zealand cool old bike stuff is very hard to non existent so the price I would have to charge would be too hi for someone who can't see the real work put into a build,thanx but no thanx,not that I don't want to but I don't like to disappoint people

totally agree with you on the fat tire builds,a frame built for standard wheels/ 2.30" tire at the most would be more of a reality but like most of us we love to build for ourselves,family and maybe only close friends,I have had so many people see my builds(to which I am an average ratter)and they are like "this is so cool build me one" then there is the fact that in new zealand cool old bike stuff is very hard to non existent so the price I would have to charge would be too hi for someone who can't see the real work put into a build,thanx but no thanx,not that I don't want to but I don't like to disappoint people
:thumbsup:

Luke.

with your drawings, 17 pages of documentation, photos, thoughts -- it feels like I am in your shop watching this build. Looking really cool!
Glad you are enjoying it Chief!
I actually used to post much more detail and more photos, but it gets really hard to make good progress when you stop every 5 minutes to take a photo or two... ;)

Luke.

Amazing job you're doing there, I am jealous of your skill and I will have to get a welder and start sticking stuff together soon.
I can't help but think that it would be cool to have a smoke bomb spraying smoke on the rear tire as you ride.....
:rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:

Amazing job you're doing there, I am jealous of your skill and I will have to get a welder and start sticking stuff together soon.
Looking forward to seeing it if it happens!
I can't help but think that it would be cool to have a smoke bomb spraying smoke on the rear tire as you ride.....
:rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:
That would be cool! YeeHaw!

22171444292_5d28866d29_z.jpg

Luke.

Started on the bars today!

Was not up to doing much, but thought I could get some tubing cut and get some idea of where I am headed...

My Bro-in-law @K-DIGGITYWIGGITYDAWG gave me a hand yesterday to curve up another 10 foot length of tube using the "you stand there on the tube and I will lift here" method.

Progress so far:

22225289462_33b18d0dc0_z.jpg

Not quite at the 40" mark, about 37" as they sit, I could add more tubing but will have to make that decision when they are on the bike, just holding them up to the bike, I feel going any taller may be a mistake:

22248508521_fa1af56d70_z.jpg

21615351374_b03f92f746_z.jpg

I have a few other details I may try, but again that will have to wait till I see them mounted.

22248503721_a9b1ddc94a_z.jpg

I will probably weld up the base and centre joins and leave the upper curves and grip areas just push-fitted to their inner sleeves, mount it all up and have a look.

Not sure if you can see it well in the pics, but the bar tubes not only curve towards each other but the bars curve front to back too, was a bit of work to get the cuts right for that to work!

Luke.

Just realised how out of whack the bars are sitting in those pics, there are not welded at all yet, so I just had them sitting wrong.

Here is what they should look like:

21616408884_ef93a5322b_z.jpg

Much better!

Luke.

Back