(MBBO4 Class 1) SixtyNine Spyder: All Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this fork problem is really bothering me, and this morning it got worse. I went out to the garage and just stared at the bike. I had never noticed it before, but I think the bike took such a front impact that it actually changed the angle of the head tube. I compared what I was looking at to photos of other Spyders, and I think my frame is toast.

Please notice the slight bends down on all 4 top tubes coming into the head tube. It's slight, and it's uniform, but those bends shouldn't be there. And that's what is pushing the front wheel back. The fork might even be ok.

buQEJ4.jpg

4gOa41.jpg

7SBTO2.jpg

So now I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't really afford to buy an entire bike. The last Spyder parts frame I bought I passed along to Roadwarrior and it turned out to be tweaked.

:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
For the shifter, you can sand that and the yellow *might* come out. Then you'll have to polish it a bit to get the shine back. I have tried to do that with those types of knobs with decent results.

But, painting it would be cool too! You could always do a color to match the frame, or black or whatever. You can always paint it again if it needs it :D

Either original white plastic or paint I would sand it smooth though, it will look better that way.

Put a Big Pipe in it and bend it back! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have done it with Schwinn frames. Not the same quality I understand, but you should be able to get it straighter.

I need some ideas. Below is the grip from the shifter. It's supposed to be white, but apparently the original yellowed from time, then someone sprayed white over the yellow, and now the white is dirty and chipping away revealing the old yellow beneath.

Unless you're dead set on the T handle being on the shifter maybe just replace it with something different or unique to the bike.

Do you think it possible that it was made that way and just sent out from the factory jacked up? Looks to me that the top 4 were too long and just left that way. Cut out a section from all and re-weld ???

Do you think it possible that it was made that way and just sent out from the factory jacked up? Looks to me that the top 4 were too long and just left that way. Cut out a section from all and re-weld ???
That's a possibility, one of the tubes on my AMC was never attached to the head tube.

So now I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't really afford to buy an entire bike. The last Spyder parts frame I bought I passed along to Roadwarrior and it turned out to be tweaked.

:headbang:
You could maybe put a mild tweak on the forks.... lay them on the floor suspended between a couple 2x4's and smack the crown with a sledge hammer... put just a bit of bend to counter the frame tweak....

Carl.

Bad news about your T-handle shifter: plastic + time is not a good combination. The material is permanently yellowed and probably brittle to boot, especially if it has been exposed to harsh temperatures. Were it mine, I'd block sand the surface with fine wet sandpaper and apply one of the vinyl sprays that are more flexible than paint, and therefore less prone to chipping.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/fabric-and-vinyl

The Muscle Bike community scores again! FirstyearChevelle stepped up and gave me a great deal on a Sypder frame/fork he had sitting around with hopes of building. But he wants a complete one. So he's sweeping in and saving the day! By late next week I should be back on track!

Latest posts

Back