Mofo / MoFaux 8/1 They're Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mofo / Update on MoFaux

Happy 4th
Happy anniversary
Happy birthday

Happy Get To Building Day!!!

Eye on the competition bump.

e5193975.jpg

I had a lot of things going on this past weekend with all the celebrating...I didn't work on the MoFaux build but I did manage to squeeze in finishing two other projects; the 24" and 26" Hopalong Cassidy bikes. This has been a two year restoration, researching and collecting many of the unique Hoppy items. I'm really happy how they turned out.
2402bb8f.jpg

94d9e001.jpg

19a5a9a2.jpg

I also have a girls Hoppy bike to complete...I'll work on finishing it later this year. Once it's done I'll have a nice stable of rare steeds. :wink:
8cdf6068.jpg

Hoppy saddles are very rare with a distinctive horsehair grained vinyl and were specifically made for the Hopalong Cassidy bikes. Generally if you can find a Hoppy saddle it will more than likely be a girls seat because girls took better care of their bicycles.
5c23e3af.jpg

Also unique and distinctive to Hoppy bikes were:
• Distinctive Longhorn handlebars
• Horseshoe Rollfast head badge
• Chrome hub caps – (the only American bike to be so equipped at the factory)
• Western style chrome studded Delta Rocket Ray fender light
• Hoppy medallion and Hoppy’s name in white rope script on each side of the tank
• Built in jeweled white Western leather holsters.
• Two black gripped George Schmidt Hoppy cap pistols.
• Western style chrome studded fenders and chain guard
• Black long ball end grips with B&W streamers
• Longhorn bandoliers on front and rear fenders
371b2b6e.jpg

Now with this finally behind me, I'll focus on completing the MoFaux :wink:

Just when you think you’ve made it to the shallow end of the pool, life pulls you back to the deep end.

Two years ago my middle sister was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer, it was brutal on her and our entire family. But she’s an incredible fighter and was determined to kick Cancer to the curb! I’m happy to say she’s now cancer free!

So yesterday she calls me to tell me our eldest sister is now dying of cancer and the doctors feel that chemo will not benefit her since the cancer is in an aggressive stage. How could this be? I just talked to her 2 weeks ago to ask about her husband, who's bedridden with an advance stage of prostate cancer! Talk about a double whammy, now they’re both home convalescing with hospice care. Sometimes life just sucks!

Anyway I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish Mofaux after receiving this terrible news…family’s take precedence over self-indulgence. At least, Mofo is done and ready for its beauty photos.

You're right about family. Sorry to hear this news. You are in our prayers.....

That is so very tragic.

Hope you know your RRB Family is sending out prayers, support, and sympathy to you and your family.

Hang in there buddy and don't worry about the bikes.

God Bless You and Yours,

Your RRB Family

kingfish254 said:
That is so very tragic.

Hope you know your RRB Family is sending out prayers, support, and sympathy to you and your family.

Hang in there buddy and don't worry about the bikes.

God Bless You and Yours,

Your RRB Family
I'm with you in spirit. Peace

You and your family are in my prayers, you're a solid dude and it just sucks that this is going on for you.

God bless your sister and her hubby and you as well.

Cheers,
Rob

I'm not the praying sort, but I feel for ya brother. My heart goes out to you, I've had friends and family that have dealt with this. It's never easy, I wish the best for you and yours.

Thoughts and Prayers are with you during these tough times. Remember all the good stuff, it helps!

Joe

Hey...I need to focus on some positive joys and challenges that'll relieve some of the current stress...therefore I'm back and I'm committed to finish this build, so watch out!

Last night I was playing around with the skirts I bought on feeBay a couple of weeks ago, and of course I ran into a roadblock...apparently the skirts were made for a JC Higgins and the Mofaux's frame is a Rollfast with rear stay's that bow outward...so I'm going to have to gently massage them to fit :wink:

442c774f.jpg

I got a big job ahead of me if I want them to work!

Man, I got in late on this build. Been lookin through the pages and am supremely impressed with your graphic design/application/art/fabrication skills. Really inspirational for someone like me that has an art/graphic background. Of course, I read your latter posts about your family and as you can see, since we all share a common like/love, we also become a sort of "community" that care about one anothers troubles. I'm sort of new around here (1 year) but I know we all send good thoughts your way and wish you peace in a difficult time.

Ok. here's some better pixs of the rear of the frame and the Higgins skirts...you can clearly see the bow in the stays.
d831e742.jpg

dcce1f6d.jpg

Nothing was going to deter me from manipulating the framel, it's amazing what a blow torch and a bench vice can do :)

I've got the frame to fit the skirts
2b8762df.jpg

Thanks guys, but I'm not out the woods...after I mocked everything up and quickly noticed the horizontal lines on the Higgins skirts did not flow with the lines of the Rollfast frame. So I needed to rotate the skirts backwards, cutting out new holes for the frame stays, so that the lines at least flow with the aesthetics lines of the chain guard and tank.
93e2420e.jpg

19f2897a.jpg

Back