My Boney Finger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few shots of my '08 Boney FInger....it's got a lot of cool details, and and I've added apes and lights.

bike1-1.jpg

bike8.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

bike5.jpg

bike6.jpg

bike9-1.jpg

bike10.jpg

bike11.jpg

bike7.jpg

NICE! I love the color combo.

Thanks for the compliments....I wish I had the time and resources to build something cool though. What's great about these bikes is that they are light (aluminum) and that internal three speed hub. It's a great bike and everyone who rides it wants one....

This winter I'll try my hand at building/restoration with a 70s Schwinn Lil Chik for my daughter. I don't know if I'm gonna go the restoration route, or get creative and do something kustom. I'll be browsing the forum for ideas, though!

Love the bike. Just curious..what made you decide on the Boney finger vs. the other electra choppers? I have been thinking about getting one, put I can't make up my mind. At this moment i am leaning towards the Sraight 8.

I loved the colors, the scallops, the pinstriping....the overall hotrod look. Before these came out, I wanted a Rockabilly Boogy with the red oxide primer look, but that one was discontinued and instead offered in a flat sand color which doesn't look bad, just not exactly my cup of tea.

When I saw this one at the bike shop, it was sitting next to a flat sand Rockabilly and a Straight 8. To me, it was a no brainer to get the Boney! The day after I put money down on it, my neighbor reserved the Straight 8, so we have a little gang now....lol

If you're into the blackout look, the Straight 8 is the way to go....if you like black and chrome, maybe a Ghostrider. If you like some color without a lot of chrome, maybe a Rockabilly would be more your style.

I'm seriously considering getting a Nirve 26" wheel in cream for the front (as far as I know, Electra doesn't offer one in cream). I'm hoping it's a close match if I decide to go through with it. Following that will be a triple clamp fork so it has the same overall motorcycle look as the older green and white R.F. models. I'm also wondering if a 26" wheel with a skinnier tire would work with the stock fork?

We'll see....I hate to spend that kinda money all at once, so it would be a slow evolution....PLUS I have a guitar build project in the works....the other variable is whitewalls or blackwalls....what's everyone out there think?

I like the look of the triple tree fork electra has, but i think this bike really works better with the standard fork. The scalloped paint really sets it apart. As far as whitwalls go, I'd have to see it. (might work up a photoshop for you later) Whitewalls are hard to pull off with Cream wheels

The only bad thing about these electra bikes is that they are too cool from the get go. You really have to get creative to make them custom. a lot of the part swaps are going to be a lateral improvement as far as cool goes. (if any of that makes sense)

That's kinda what I feared with the cream wheels....very "balloony" Howver, maybe a 26" up front with a white stripe, rather than a ww? I know I can't go wrong with bw's....thanks for the image!

I also agree with you about the forks....I love the look of triple clamps, but it would be hard to give up my scalloped ones. That's why I wonder if a 26" skinnier tire would fit?

My buddy should be getting his Rat Fink today....can't wait to head over to his house, then ride together to Applebee's for happy hour and a Brewtus. :wink:

Love the bike. The boney finger has a neat looking chain guard. It's different than the other bikes in the range. I still have the old stock fork from my rockabilly and I also happen to have a 26" wheel and tire sitting in the garage. I will do a mock up and let you know if the 26 fits the fork later tonight. You will have your answer soon.

BTW as far as the triple clamp fork goes, it's a nice fork but I had a heck of a time getting the lower crown race on the steer tube. I broke one race, then I went to a bike shop and had them have a go at installing it and they broke a second race. The hardened steel races were cracking clean in half! I then bought a new headset (came with two races) and went back to my buddies shop and spent some time filing the steer tube down. It seems that the part of the steer tube where the race seats was ovalized and not round!!!! :x I filed away for about 20 minutes then had a third go at installation-- cracked the third one, filed for another 20 minutes and FINALLY was able to press the race on. Man what an ordeal. A 30 minute project took the whole night. I wrote Electra about the problem. I'm not sure if I got a bad fork or if they are all like that. They never really got back to me on that issue. In the end I think the fork really improved the overall look of my bike. I was bummed that i couldn't get an older Rockabilly that already had the fork installed but I am now really happy with the bike. I also modified the fork. I sandblasted the lower down tubes and painted them satin black to better stay with the overall look of the bike. So be careful if you order those forks. You may want to order them from an LBS instead of direct from Electra. If you had any problems you could then have someone to complain to/help out.

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Regards,

Two Spot

A buddy of mine relayed to my LBS that I was thinking of getting a triple clamp fork, and they told him those forks don't fit the new ones....I thought that was incorrect when I saw yours, but now that I hear what an ordeal it was for you, I believe them.

I probably would have had them do the install since I'm such a hamfist, but since they say it won't fit, I doubt they would do it, since it would mean more than a simple removal and replacement, you know?

It would be awesome if you got back to me about the 26" and the stock fork....I was thinking about borrowing my wife's front wheel to do the same thing, but if you've got the parts just sitting around and you don't mind, that would be great!

One more thing....do you have any close-ups of your headlight bracket? I'm thinking my buddy is gonna need something similar for his Rat Fink....Thanks!

Actually it IS a direct fit. Electra shows two different triple clamp forks on the website. The one you would want is part number 469628. They call it the LONG triple clamp fork. It is meant to be a direct fit to the Hellbilly, Rockabilly, Boney and Str8 8. In fact, I was told that it was the same fork that they used to have on the bikes from the factory. I just observed a quality control issue that made getting the bearing race installed impossible without busting out a file. If you or your buddy have questions regarding parts Laura at Electra has been very helpful she has always made sure I got the right stuff to fit my bike (or my gals Townie for that matter.)

For the headlight bracket I just flipped the stock bracket and added a small piece of aluminum flat bar to drop it down a bit more. The aluminum tab is secured to the top fork clamp with a 1/4-20 screw and there is a nut behind the aluminum tab acting as a spacer. I did have to drill and tap the fork clamp for the screw. I had to make the aluminum piece because the housing of the headlight didn't clear the stem. Here is a picture:

IMG_3366.jpg

Regards,

Two Spot

BarnesTO said:
A buddy of mine relayed to my LBS that I was thinking of getting a triple clamp fork, and they told him those forks don't fit the new ones....they say it won't fit, I doubt they would do it, since it would mean more than a simple removal and replacement, you know?
Of course "They" say it won't fit. "They" are part of "Them". "They" are always trying to kill creativity. It's all a conspiracy! Seriously though, you're on RatRodBikes.com. Where there's a will there's a way. You could make anything fit. And if you don't know how, Then there's someone here who could tell you how. There may even be someone close enought to SHOW you how. There's even guys on here who can tell you how to make your own frames...
Early ratrodders MADE those small block chevy engines fit in ANYTHING. "It won't fit" was a foreign concept to them It's part of the ratrod spirit. Enough ranting... I guess I just wanted to point out that it can be done. A friend of mine was building an old Harley 45 chopper and we went to this old guy's place to buy some parts and he'd ask us what we were thinking and kept saying "Read my lips. It WON'T fit!" But as you can see from this crappy cell phone pic, it DID fit. All sorts of things fit. Like a Subaru clutch pedal and cable that became a brake pedal and cable, a Briggs and Stratton gas tank that became an oil tank, and my spare Yamaha rear wheel that went onto the Harley...
2870697617_4a1d1c95e2_o.jpg

I guess my point is don't let someone else tell you it won't fit or won't work. Because there's always a way to make it work...

I know what you mean....I just don't want to do irreversible mods to a new expensive bike, you know? Anyway I don't really wanna lose the scallops on my stock forks....

In other news, rode my buddy's new (to him) Rat Fink last night....WOW. It feels like driving from the back seat because it's so long....but I like it! It's definitely a SWEET bike and we make a pretty good pair, I think. :wink:

He wants to personalize it with some whitewalls....we'll see what else he does....

Yeah I see what you're saying about not altering an expensive bike... But from what I could tell, you'd be altering the steer tube of the fork if you're altering anything, not the frame. But I do agree. Those scallops on the stock fork look way sharp. But don't let the guys at your LBS discourage you... And it wouldn't hurt to check with Electra themselves. I imagine they make a fork/bearing kit that would allow you to install one on one of their bikes. After all, why would they make something that you couldn't use on something else they made? The Scallops are cool, but remember, don't take no for an answer unless its the answer you want. :mrgreen:

Great advice, thanks! I think the general consensus is that while the triple clamps are cool, the scallops are cooler....now, if a 26" wheel would work with my stock fork.... :roll:

Hey! I checked the 26" wheel/tire on the old fork from my Rockabilly and it fits! I didn't inflate the tire because I don't have an inner tube for it so I assume the tire will grow a bit, but there was probably at least an inch of clearance between the "crotch" of the fork and the tread of the tire so you should be ok.

Regards,
Two Spot

Latest posts

Back