Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might throw my hat in for Class 1. I have a 20" Rollfast that needs to be built up.
1692224621286.png

Like most things in the world, if you have to ask then the answer is no. i.e. "Is my bike a muscle bike?" the short answer is NO.
That said, think about pig bikes. Late 50's early 60's mostly 20" bikes that kids in the later 60's upgraded to look like the new Schwinn Sting-Ray. Apes, banana seats (or polos) all the doodads, like grip streamers and sissy bars, soon after chopper forks. Were those bikes originally muscle bikes? No. But if you rolled one of those built in the late 60's pig bike conversions out now, you'd have a killer muscle bike no question. So what class would it belong in? I'd say class two.
We all know what the original muscle bikes are. A bmx frame build isn't an original muscle bike, neither is a converted 26" cantilever frame. Are they muscle bikes after our builds? Sure. But not original muscle bikes (or reasonable facsimiles). Now a nice stingray upgraded to a Krate is class one in my mind. A nice cantilever mimicking a Penguin is too (ha, look that one up...) and there have been a few 26" builds that were created as "Adult" sized muscle bikes. Super cool idea but class two in my mind.
The biggest problem I see, that causes problems in our discussions, is the idea that class two is some kind of downgrade. It's not. Class two is freedom to express, it's a chance to build something that never was before. That's original but in a personal sense of the word, whereas a Huffy Rail is original in a hardware sense and pretty hard to dispute.
So is my build a class one build? Well, if I had a bike to restore, yes. But I chose to let my creativity fly. I almost always build in class two, in every build off.

All of this is just my opinion.

...Were those bikes originally muscle bikes? No. But if you rolled one of those built in the late 60's pig bike conversions out now, you'd have a killer muscle bike no question. So what class would it belong in?...
represent the defined “genre-correct” muscle bike traits

Class 1 is what I interpret this as being. Even a BMX frame built up as a muscle bike with no major modifications to the frame would qualify.

represent the defined “genre-correct” muscle bike traits

Class 1 is what I interpret this as being. Even a BMX frame built up as a muscle bike with no major modifications to the frame would qualify.
Current rules say "true nature of muscle bikes with a stock frame" so yeah we can build whatever we want and call it macaroni.
It also says Super Modified only has to meet rule #1 and I think they mean the 2 of 3 rules...
The above is only my opinion. I realize it's probably better to be more inclusive and let anyone do whatever they want.
But you and I both know what a real muscle bike is and I feel what waters down the definition ultimately hurts the sport.
So in that spirit, I'm looking for a Schwinn Sting-Ray chainguard so I can run a Walmart bike in class one....

Last edited:
Discussing what defines a muscle bike is sort of like discussing what defines a rat rod. I'm pretty sure you can build anything that you desire as long as it meets the 2 out of 3 rule.

I can remember when the whole idea of dividing into classes came up years ago. It was started because some of the members felt that those members with either the skills or resources to build or heavily modify their frames had an unfair advantage. It has nothing to do with what is built, just how it is built.

Discussing what defines a muscle bike is sort of like discussing what defines a rat rod. I'm pretty sure you can build anything that you desire as long as it meets the 2 out of 3 rule.

I can remember when the whole idea of dividing into classes came up years ago. It was started because some of the members felt that those members with either the skills or resources to build or heavily modify their frames had an unfair advantage. It has nothing to do with what is built, just how it is built.
I agree 👍 who is really concerned with the true definition of a muscle bike is restore or custom. A modern day stingray (even though called a chopper) is all means a modern "muscle" bike just build the thing and ride it.

I agree 👍 who is really concerned with the true definition of a muscle bike is restore or custom. A modern day stingray (even though called a chopper) is all means a modern "muscle" bike just build the thing and ride it.
Based on how I read the rules.

Class 2, that never finished on time. Built from frame parts of three bikes to stretch it out, widen it a weld on a stick shift 8 speed.
20230817_114521.jpg

Class 1
26" cantilever frame painted, shined and dressed up as an adult sized muscle bike.
20230817_114531.jpg

Is there a difference between a "muscle Bike" and a "Dragster"??? I always thought Dragsters were Dragsters, rear wheel bigger than the front, in fact the term "muscle Bike" ive only ever heard from you guys on here!, in Australia they are called Dragsters! any muscle bike just has to look really fat squat n tuff! thats here though! maybe its hemishpere specific! What do they call them in Europe?

Is there a difference between a "muscle Bike" and a "Dragster"??? I always thought Dragsters were Dragsters, rear wheel bigger than the front, in fact the term "muscle Bike" ive only ever heard from you guys on here!, in Australia they are called Dragsters! any muscle bike just has to look really fat squat n tuff! thats here though! maybe its hemishpere specific! What do they call them in Europe?
Hence the 2 out of 3 criteria. Too many definitions and ideas of what should and shouldn't be

Open to interpretation to a degree

It's a "theme" not redefining the genre. All in fun!

As a wise man once said "we're just grown men (and women) playing with kids bikes" :D

Hence the 2 out of 3 criteria. Too many definitions and ideas of what should and shouldn't be

Open to interpretation to a degree

It's a "theme" not redefining the genre. All in fun!

As a wise man once said "we're just grown men (and women) playing with kids bikes" :D
I think a lot of us are guilty of looking at the rules set out and then trying to find a way to skim around the outside etc, to me the two out of three rule is pretty well simplified! , I think they way youve set it out is good, 2 sections, rebuild/resto...and full custom,

I think a lot of us are guilty of looking at the rules set out and then trying to find a way to skim around the outside etc, to me the two out of three rule is pretty well simplified! , I think they way youve set it out is good, 2 sections, rebuild/resto...and full custom,
Same. I'm a self admitted loophole junkie. Always push those boundaries. It's welcomed

I think of it more as no (minimal) fab/fab

Back