Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Realizing I could strip and or paint these,
I wonder which mag is more fitting a muscle bike?
IMG_20230818_170542251.jpg

Realizing I could strip and or paint these,
I wonder which mag is more fitting a muscle bike?
View attachment 245987
I really like those star mags.

I have split up a pair of composite mags before. The second one has never been used yet. I am sure it will end up on something at some point.

After another 2 hr round trip I came home with this today!, its gonna be parted out but he gave me a few extra's in the form of 2 banana seats, a smaller sissy bar and a cool set of forks for a 20" wheel that even has the head tube n bearings still on it and already sleeved to be fitted to what ever!!
I was really after the wheels, first set of 72 spokers ive owned, I do have plans for them,... all of a sudden ive found myself in abundance of big fat bicycle tyres. the apes will be of use for just about anything in fact if he could of found them he would of given another set to me but they were buried too deep, he did look though! the frame itself is very small, I could keep it for a replica build of my very first bike.
But just to let you guys know im ready for this build off!! whats coming who knows!

PXL_20230819_051156686.jpg

The guy made his own stuff too, he had a couple bikes round the back and I took a pic of this small muscle build he made, not the best pic, I loved his seat arrangement!, it was a chopped and changed step through! it had the fattest 20 inch rear wheel ive ever seen, I think he said 3 inch rim width, but we did ummm and Rrrrrrr and I said I had to go before I made an offer, ! it had killer forks on it too, I was eyeing the whole thing off.... if I can get back to work soon enough I have his number and may just rub shoulders again!..... this MBBO is starting to kick into gear.....where was that counter! :cool:
PXL_20230819_011942161.jpg

Are you going to use just one? Then the loose one is better.
I really like those star mags.

I have split up a pair of composite mags before. The second one has never been used yet. I am sure it will end up on something at some point.
Both sets are alloy. I actually have two sets of the airy squared off mag which I kinda like better. I think they're Mongoose and I haven't seen many around so I'm surprised/lucky to have two sets. The stars are more common I think. Could repaint them for a red, white and blue patriotic build. Hey are we building BMX down the road?

Both sets are alloy. I actually have two sets of the airy squared off mag which I kinda like better. I think they're Mongoose and I haven't seen many around so I'm surprised/lucky to have two sets. The stars are more common I think. Could repaint them for a red, white and blue patriotic build. Hey are we building BMX down the road?
The stars are more common, they were from a Walmart goose. Those other ones are Lesters, older and so much cooler. I want a set. Be aware: they are heavy and many use specific hub parts that may be hard to find.

The stars are more common, they were from a Walmart goose. Those other ones are Lesters, older and so much cooler. I want a set. Be aware: they are heavy and many use specific hub parts that may be hard to find.
Lester and ACS made a lot of the early mags. I think I recall that Lester's were on the scramblers and mongoose. ACS on redline and PK. Can't remember who made the Diamondback mags.

Very cool and thank you for the info. Both sets I have are in great shape, straight and no pitting. The bearings seem to be a standard flat roller bearing that fit an axle thru the middle. I haven't really looked at the cog connection as both sets freely spin. I suppose the Lester's provenance make them the logical choice for the Muscle Bike build which is cool because I was leaning towards them anyway.

i have a question can we prep are work before the build off starts like stripping paint and fixing parts that are being used or is that cheating
cause i had hide the bike i am going to use cause i JUST WANT TO DIVE IN AND GET ER DONE!!!!!!!!!

i have a question can we prep are work before the build off starts like stripping paint and fixing parts that are being used or is that cheating
cause i had hide the bike i am going to use cause i JUST WANT TO DIVE IN AND GET ER DONE!!!!!!!!!
I'd say your good just no building

Just post what you’re starting with when the time comes so we can see what point you are “officially” jumping in

Has anyone done a muscle flavored tall bike?
View attachment 245918
View attachment 245919
So my earlier post about a muscle flavored tall bike got the cogs turning in what remains of my brain. I’ve looked at a lot of builds and watched several videos and I’m intrigued. It’s not my brightest idea but I can probably do this. I have some junk frames.
IMG_0340.jpeg

And I have some other parts
IMG_0342.jpeg

The rear of the upper frame would get chopped off, the head tubes joined with a piece of tubing and the upper bottom bracket welded to the top of the lower seat tube. Extend the steer tube (in a junky fork, not this one). Long sissy bar. Drive chain on left side using lower BB as jackshaft to gears on right. Yeah, kinda nutz. But I can’t get it out of my head.

My other idea was to use some old car headers as a frame for a chopper-ish build but I took a look at the headers and it doesn’t look right.

So my earlier post about a muscle flavored tall bike got the cogs turning in what remains of my brain. I’ve looked at a lot of builds and watched several videos and I’m intrigued. It’s not my brightest idea but I can probably do this. I have some junk frames.
View attachment 246049
And I have some other parts
View attachment 246050
The rear of the upper frame would get chopped off, the head tubes joined with a piece of tubing and the upper bottom bracket welded to the top of the lower seat tube. Extend the steer tube (in a junky fork, not this one). Long sissy bar. Drive chain on left side using lower BB as jackshaft to gears on right. Yeah, kinda nutz. But I can’t get it out of my head.

My other idea was to use some old car headers as a frame for a chopper-ish build but I took a look at the headers and it doesn’t look right.
Theres a higher power at work here!.... I was awake early this morning, sipping coffee and flicking through pintrest! I found myself spending an age on a board that had modernized "penny Farthings". the things guys and gals have made across the globe is mind bending! and all along the same sort of thing your going to create....fast forward to present time and im looking at you planning the same thing!!!! the worlds not big enough ha ha ha !! it'll be a hoot to watch that unfold! I rekon go for it!

Back