Old Glory

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tin machine said:
looks good , I do think a chain guard to match would be awesome , that would really kick it off !! 8)

Did some searching and found an image for the chain guard that I would like to use. Now to find one that I can call my own, thats the challenge. :|

Roadmaster_zps4930e6bf.jpg

Great job, Jim! It looks great! It's good to see you put those Lightning Darts to good use. I actually mounting the ones I got from rusty513 today.
If I may make a suggestion, if you are unable to find that chaingaurd, the 40's - 50's Shelby Air-Flo/Traveller chainguard make be a good substitute. It has ridges for the stripes, and has a nice steamlined profile that would look great on a CWC frame. They are usually pretty easy to come by on ebay.

Here is the guard I am referring to:

Picture015.jpg

97674shel12.jpg

I got this shockmaster fork from uneasy rider last week and have been working on shortening the steer tube today. The problem that I have is not knowing the correct length for a boy's fork. I'm thinking that it is 6 3/4". Old Glory's current fork measures 6 1/2" but doesn't have a bracket for the truss rods so that's where the extra 1/4" comes in. Does anyone out there have one that you can measure before I start cutting?

DSC04714_zps109df030.jpg

The Renaissance Man said:
I got this shockmaster fork from uneasy rider last week and have been working on shortening the steer tube today. The problem that I have is not knowing the correct length for a boy's fork. I'm thinking that it is 6 3/4". Old Glory's current fork measures 6 1/2" but doesn't have a bracket for the truss rods so that's where the extra 1/4" comes in. Does anyone out there have one that you can measure before I start cutting?

DSC04714_zps109df030.jpg

I have maybe a dozen of the Shockmaster Springers and I've already cut two down from girls forks - one had the forward facing lower trusses like yours. The 50s springer you have is simply 6 1/2" for the boys, 7 1/2" for the girls - bracket or not. Just reduce the straight leg of the upper springer truss by the same 1", thread it 3/8" x 24tpi and you're ready to install. I had a 50s Roadmaster with the bumper style springer fork when I was a kid back in the early 60s - paid $1 for the whole bike. Never got that bike out of my system so the first thing I bought getting back into classic bikes was the 1998 Roadmaster Luxury Liner repop. I call it my Parade Bike because that is the only thing I use it for.

I have to compliment you on your ageing technique - excellent work. I'm a wrencher, not an artist so I admire anyone that can not only envision this type of look but actually make it happen. The pic you posted of the Roadmaster has a chain guard that is a little hard to find. Most of the Roadmaster named bikes from the 50s had verticle leading edges instead of the angled. Also in that era Hawthornes, Western Flyers and Hiawathas were produced all with the angled front edge with the difference being that their respective road name was embossed on the side - Roadmasters with the same style 50s guards only had lettering.

I'm always looking through the build section for any Cleveland Welding bikes. I am first and foremost the Road Master but I love all CWC produced bikes. I'll be watching to see how this comes out. Good Luck and Have Fun! Robert

Rat Pilot said:
Great job, Jim! It looks great! It's good to see you put those Lightning Darts to good use. I actually mounting the ones I got from rusty513 today.
If I may make a suggestion, if you are unable to find that chaingaurd, the 40's - 50's Shelby Air-Flo/Traveller chainguard make be a good substitute. It has ridges for the stripes, and has a nice steamlined profile that would look great on a CWC frame. They are usually pretty easy to come by on ebay.

Here is the guard I am referring to:

Picture015.jpg

97674shel12.jpg

These are great chain guards and I pick one up every chance I get. AMF purchased CWC in 1951 and then absorbed Shelby in 1953-54. After that point it was very common to see these Shelby Chain Guards on any AMF bike including Roadmasters for years along with the Shelby Slotted Chain Ring. I had two 1955 AMF Cleveland Welding produced bikes both badged as Hiawathas. One looked like it was built primarily using original CWC parts and the other was built using original Shelby parts including the 50s springer. Both had the same exact frame with the smaller diameter lower top tube but looked entirely different.

The chain guards survived into the 60s as did the slotted chain ring and I can't help but think the sprocket design was "borrowed" in producing some of the BMX sprockets I have seen.

Yes, your bike would have a great flow with the Shelby Chain Guard - I guarantee it. It's a totally different look than the 50s CWC guards so it's just a matter of personal choice. Either way, Have Fun! Robert

1955 AMF Hiawatha w/ CWC Parts - Peaked Fenders, Bumper Style Truss Fork, Rear Carrier w/ Bumper Style Support Brackets, Chain Ring commonly seen on CWC Western Flyer Supers, Straight Bar Tank
189A.jpg

1955 AMF Hiawatha w/ Shelby Parts - 1950s Springer Fork, Slotted Chain Ring
188A1955CWCHiawathaRebuilt.jpg

Road Master said:
I have maybe a dozen of the Shockmaster Springers and I've already cut two down from girls forks - one had the forward facing lower trusses like yours. The 50s springer you have is simply 6 1/2" for the boys, 7 1/2" for the girls - bracket or not. Just reduce the straight leg of the upper springer truss by the same 1", thread it 3/8" x 24tpi and you're ready to install. I had a 50s Roadmaster with the bumper style springer fork when I was a kid back in the early 60s - paid $1 for the whole bike. Never got that bike out of my system so the first thing I bought getting back into classic bikes was the 1998 Roadmaster Luxury Liner repop. I call it my Parade Bike because that is the only thing I use it for.

I have to compliment you on your ageing technique - excellent work. I'm a wrencher, not an artist so I admire anyone that can not only envision this type of look but actually make it happen. The pic you posted of the Roadmaster has a chain guard that is a little hard to find. Most of the Roadmaster named bikes from the 50s had verticle leading edges instead of the angled. Also in that era Hawthornes, Western Flyers and Hiawathas were produced all with the angled front edge with the difference being that their respective road name was embossed on the side - Roadmasters with the same style 50s guards only had lettering.

I'm always looking through the build section for any Cleveland Welding bikes. I am first and foremost the Road Master but I love all CWC produced bikes. I'll be watching to see how this comes out. Good Luck and Have Fun! Robert

That's a lot of good information, you really are "the Road Master"!

largek9 said:
Opp's ! That just pegged the Cool Meter....! Nice this is one sweet bike :D 8)

Thank you largek9!

Just can't leave this bike alone!

The white saddle is borrowed from my wife's Monark. I can't decide if I like black or white better. What do ya'll think?

I didn't like the pedals with reflectors, so I had an old black set that I swapped out. I still want to try an old white set when ever I find some.

Lastly, no self respecting red white and blue 50's American cruiser should be without a siren! So...

100_4139_zpsdffa6d05.jpg

:!: :!: :!: I'm still looking for a chain guard. I know somebody out there has one! :!: :!: :!:

This thing looks fantastic!

The white saddle looks better IMO. Some old school white pedals would set it off really well.

I'm digging the white saddle as well!

Latest posts

Back