Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few tools I wish I had, and a tubing roller is up there on the list. That looks good Luke.

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Okay, I think I'm in. Just picked up a new project tonight, so I'll put it in the build off instead of my original plan.
0d7b5a6a3db774d58bf7f45753103ff5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hey @Skipton, @Onewheelsqueel, @Verrt, @SlyRed and @Pookie42, how many of you guys are in? The Chicago Taildraggers are a beautiful bunch of people who roll together as a family friendly bike club. I'm sure there's a couple more I'm missing. One of my brothers told me he was entering a couple days ago and last year two others built bikes, so... yeah, who's in?

Carl.
I’ve got a pile of parts screaming to be built into a cool bike
I’ll be in for build off 14

Has the 'countdown clock' been started yet?? :21:

OcdJob can't wait to get started.....he's got a file full of pics for ideas, and parts spread across the map from Arizona to Minnesota!

RaT oN~!

ratmonsteronbike.jpeg

So I wasn't going to enter because I'd been commissioned to build a low rider motorbike for a guy, starting in May. That has now been put back (thanks to Brexit) so now I'm free this summer.......
So I'M IN!
This is my first build off so I'll be asking all sorts of dumb questions, like:
What are the rules?
Where do I put the build thread?
Anyone else from the UK entering?

So I wasn't going to enter because I'd been commissioned to build a low rider motorbike for a guy, starting in May. That has now been put back (thanks to Brexit) so now I'm free this summer.......
So I'M IN!
This is my first build off so I'll be asking all sorts of dumb questions, like:
What are the rules?
Where do I put the build thread?
Anyone else from the UK entering?
Welcome to the most fun on the internet; the ratrodbikes.com summer build-off! David, as the time draws nigh , we usually kickoff the event on May 1st, there will be a thread started at the top of the 'Forums' list called RRB Build-Off #14 or some such title.

Once that is up, you can start a build thread within that Forum thread. Usually a catchy title will attract 'views' and some friendly banter / suggestions / kudos as well.

As you progress, it is a good idea to document your work with a camera / phone, and upload photos along with your posts on the recent steps in your build.

You will find this to be an international 'field' of builders from all points on the globe. Looking forward to your build and another kustom rat kat joining in the fun!

Cor! There's some serious bikes there! Gulp!
I hope I can live up to the standard!

If they let me clutter the builds, you'll be plenty fine, I'm sure!

I’m keen. Got an idea/theme to work on and starting to work up designs etc - but really should be finishing other things first. I’m considering two builds if the rules head that way. Both builds based on the one theme too, one a construct/fabricate and the other a paint and accessories job.

I wish I could go all out on two companion bikes—I've had an idea for a giant squid cruiser and step through sperm whale pair (a bit ironic with the whale's name, but the shape of the respective animal tanks work better that way), but I work way too slowly and adding even more bikes will have the hoarder patrol putting me on a watch list.

Anybody else starting to gather parts that they just can't wait to share? I'm pretty stoked about this rim set I just scored:

IMG_5894.JPG

You're probably thinking the same thing I was the first time I saw a picture of them..."What's the big deal? Just a set of steel rims?"

"BIG" is the operative word here. I took a chance and ordered them from an online vendor based on one little bit of information. You can't really tell much from just a picture of them by themselves, but it becomes a little clearer once you get a little perspective:

IMG_5895.JPG

The wheel on the left above is probably the biggest balloon tire wheel I already had. These things are monsters!

IMG_5896.JPG

Here's another comparison shot, both wheels fit 26" tires.

The picture that sold me on them was one similar to this:
IMG_5897.JPG

50 mm wide, compared to the ballooner's 38 mm width. That's about a half inch wider!

IMG_5898.JPG

Did I mention they're STEEL?
IMG_5899.JPG

I wish the seller had more. I've been looking all over for wide wheels that don't break the bank. Unfortunately they're pretty scarce in the US between 1.5" wide and 4". Especially in chrome or polished aluminum. The few to choose from cost an arm and a leg. Then there's Russia. Apparently Mother Russia is flush with wide rims, but the shipping time and cost makes it a questionable deal.

I don't know what these monsters were originally made for, My guess would be for pedicabs or vending/ice cream bikes. They're super heavy duty, and wide! Oh, did I mention less than $30 each? Shipping is still a lot, so I ended up paying around $80 for the pair, but that's less than half of what else is commonly available. They should look awesome with some 26"x3" tires on them, without looking like a fat bike. I wish the vendor had more, but I could only order 1 pair. Now their website shows they are out of stock. Oh well, at least I got something for the build off bike!

@Toeslider , dig the big steel hoops! I'm using my first pair of 57 mm for this year's build. Stuck them into a Schwinn frame I had with just a 26 x 2.125 tire on them. I like the full fit.

The front wheel is a typical wide 26 x 1.75. The back is the 57 mm wide rim.

52100098_282721672620565_4494748880889446400_n.jpg

And then the shot of just the rear wheel / tire combo.

52100052_605724466517039_4100098904589074432_n.jpg

Can't wait to get started! RaT oN~!

Been testing out jig ideas that will be used for the Build-Off bike, needed something to curve some 1/2" RHS into a 13" circle.
Tacked a split 14" rim with a center diameter of 12" to the bench and a bolt as a stop, then inserted the RHS, slid a lever over the top and start bending...
Ended up with a pretty good circle, but too big at 14" diameter, when the time comes I will tack a split 13" rim to the bench and repeat the process! :thumbsup:

View attachment 91388 View attachment 91389
How about trying a plywood circle and a ratcheting tie down or come-a-long for the bend? You could make the plywood circle with a top and bottom flange to keep it straight. Good luck, I want to see how it turns out.

I am possibly the youngest one, 26 now :D Though, i''d be happy to be wrong!
I'm 73 but there is another member that is 8 months older. When I was your age I had the same passion for bicycles as I do now. I started the love affair when I was 6 or 7, it's a lifelong thing. My first bicycle was full sized and had to run along beside it and jump on it as I was too small to get on it any other way. Can't do that now, ha. Both my kids started XC skiing as soon as they could walk and bicycling at 3 or 4. Better and smaller equipment now. They are both bicycle nuts and have way too many.

Assume this will happen again. I keep saying I’m done but projects keep finding me. Wondering who the oldest builder is. I’m still tinkering at 73.
My potential project bikes are older than I am...May 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You win, your 7 and a half months older than me, bike on.

You win, your 7 and a half months older than me, bike on.
Maybe not, born in ‘45 but not 1-1. Geezers at work here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back