Rear axle diameter and thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would work like a trike. Only one wheel would be the drive/brake wheel. Its not like I want to do anything more than just cruise along on it. No extreme riding etc. But to do it I need to figure out the axle size to be able to but the hubs on it. Or I may just weld two axles together but I don't think that would be as strong. I have seen bikes online with the dual rear wheel setup and am trying to do my own version of it. If necessary I can always weld the center of the two hubs together to make both the brake on one side and the cog of the other side work or I could extend the brake arm forward to the bike frame itself. But first I need to get the axle length part solved, lol.

Last edited:
Trikes tend to have pillow blocks to reduce stress on the axle(s).

Your hubs almost certainly take 3/8x26tpi, if you already tried a 3/8x24tpi and it didn't work.

Yes, this.... or, if you want to use 24tpi rod, use Shimano or KT coaster hubs, which take 3/8x24tpi hardware

Yeah, a couple KT hubs might be the cheapest way to go. I have to admit I've never seen a 3/8" axle asian CB with anything other than 24tpi. What brand are they so I know what to look out for?

Last edited:
If you find 2 hubs that are 24tpi, and you brace up the middle, use a extender? nut to attach the 2 axles in the middle. Then you don't need to buy anything else. They look like a nut that's a couple inches long.

Yeah, a couple KT hubs might be the cheapest way to go. I have to admit I've never seen a 3/8" axle aisian CB with anything other than 24tpi. What brand are they so I know what to look out for?

I was wondering the same thing. A lot of Asian freewheel hubs and fronts take 3/8x26tpi, but the Shimano, KT, and Falcon c/b hubs take 24tpi.

I used to work for that company...never again. And they don't really have all they claim to. Just saying. They don't have 3/8-26 for sure. Plus also FYI you can negotiate price with them. Just ask.

I used to work for that company...never again. And they don't really have all they claim to. Just saying. They don't have 3/8-26 for sure. Plus also FYI you can negotiate price with them. Just ask.
Thats good to know. Thanks. I was told by the friendly guy at the local ACE hardware store that they have it all. I did get some acorn nuts there and it seemed like they have a lot of stuff. I'll have to go back to the industrial park and look around at their store. There is a lot of heavy duty stuff available around here because of the mines (got a giant anodized eye bolt to connect my raft to an old manhole cover I use for an anchor) but small stuff is harder to locate.

Back