Replacing Schwinn S-* wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

This may have been covered elsewhere that i couldn't find, but I was wanting to keep the Bendix rear hub and rebuild the rear wheel but retain the 2 speed kickback.

Do I need to use the old style, heavier spokes or can I move over to some DT Swiss spokes?

Can I just pick any 26" rim with the appropriate width (and holes) and lace in my old Bendix hub?

Since the Bendix hub is essentially a single cog, can I assume that the dishing will be equal on both sides?

Suggestions for replacement rims for a 1953 Typhoon, if not an S-* type?

Thanks for any guidance in this area.

- AP

I've only done a few wheel builds myself. I can answer the spoke gauge question I think. If the original wheel has heavy spokes, the heads on standard spokes will fall out of the holes on the hub. Easy fix I found was going to Ace hardware and getting little brass washers to slide onto each spoke before lacing. I don't think the old Bendix hubs need to be dished, should be close enough anyway....I think. Some more experienced member will chime in with some more solid advice I'm sure. Good luck :)

If your hub is original to the Typhoon, it should have holes punched for 14 gauge(.080) spokes. Use any .080 spokes and you'll be alright. Straight gauge or double butted. Any rim with the same amount of holes as your hub will work. No dishing necessary.

LowpowerD said:
If your hub is original to the Typhoon, it should have holes punched for 14 gauge(.080) spokes. Use any .080 spokes and you'll be alright. Straight gauge or double butted. Any rim with the same amount of holes as your hub will work. No dishing necessary.

Awesome! Thanks.

Any recommendations on rim replacements to be of the same sizing as the S-2 style? I was hoping for a black rim with newer materials to lighten the bike up a bit.

Thanks again!

Awesome! I found some Alex rims (not ordered) but these look like a better fit.

Thanks LowPowerD!

I was given a trike that had the thick spokes on both the trashed back wheels and I laced them with normal spokes using the tiny washer method and it worked just fine. Few bucks at the hardware store is better than $50 PER WHEEL at the LBS JUST FOR THE SPOKES! I asked him at the LBS and he said I couldn't do it that way but I proved him wrong...... :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
I was given a trike that had the thick spokes on both the trashed back wheels and I laced them with normal spokes using the tiny washer method and it worked just fine. Few bucks at the hardware store is better than $50 PER WHEEL at the LBS JUST FOR THE SPOKES! I asked him at the LBS and he said I couldn't do it that way but I proved him wrong...... :lol:

You can actually buy DT spoke washers and other brands, but hardware store washers or about 1/10 the price :D

Latest posts

Back