RRBO4 POLL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the next build off allow frame modifications?

• Create Two Classes

Votes: 34 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
Here's my take on this. Allowing frame mods in the build off will push the hobby to a new level, that's a fact. It's also a fact that allowing this can pave the road to frame modded bikes winning most of the time. Let's be frank here, with this additional weapon in it's arsenal, a builder as an edge over someone who doesn't. So it boils down to a Catch 22, do you want the hobby to move forward? or do you want everybody to have a decent chance? The only compromise in my opinion is to make 2 classes.

My .02 Peace. :)

sensor said:
well...if you do go 2 builds why not make the custom build a real custom build where you have to make everything(except for hardware, chainring,bearings,crank, and chain from scratch) just start out with a headtube, drop outs, and b.b. thatd level the playing field and make for some interesting builds :mrgreen:
I totally agree, if you're inclined to do frame mods, build it from scratch and impress us. I predict a ton of builds started, but a mere fraction actually getting finished.

kram said:
It doesn't really matter to me either way. If you leave the rules how they are those with fabrication skills could always make custom parts to be used with an unmodified frame.
yeah..think hoochs rrbbo#1 bike,or clothespin s bike(also rrbbo#1) those pushed the bar with just simple bolt ons...then look at all the custom forks,bars,tanks from the last one
icyuod2 said:
i got a perfect fix/ie change of rules.

rule number 1..... if your not having fun, your disqualified. :p

(if its a slow week, we can vote on members fun levels. :lol: )
personally ive always had fun with my builds(if i didnt i wouldnt be building anything and id spend more time on my cars and guitars :wink: )....anyhow............to better illustrate what my useless $.00 was intended to be ill toss this up for consideration...think unlcestretchs colson clone frame....
scratch built so (again my $.00)it would qualify as a full custom
btw.......the only time i wont take a challenge is when itd risk my familys life or jail time
just wanted to say sorry wasnt trying to rattle any cages.....everyones opinions about 'custom' differ just remember that there are lots of highly skilled guys that do have the tools,knowledge, and skills(think gkoolkustoms,chopper ollie,monstermetal,kennyp,ej599,kcdesigns,kota,unclestretch and about 200 others i cant think of right now)
and btw i was SERIOUS when i said ill take any free tubing/scrap bikes and make something if there is a full custom build :mrgreen:
and the only challenges ill back away from are ones that would endanger my son and wife(or possibly risk jail time)

as for giving up before i start....i dont...i just dont need peoples vote to tell me i built something nice..........if im happy with what ive made then i dont really need X amount of votes to tell me its good i know whats gone into it and if im happy with it thats the only vote that matters to me

anyhow...........sorry for taking this space up! and again i wasnt trying to upset anyone just tossing my $.00 in the mix since i thought worthless opinions were welcome :mrgreen:

i have an oldder columbia that i want to cut up and streatch, lower, ext. to make a somewhat custom, where in this would it be considered?

Outlaw

in my best Roberto Duran impression "NO MODS!"
personally I like using stock frames and no powdercoating or pro paint for the annual buildoff
it just makes everyone feel like they can join in
the super custom bikes are welcome here and I love seeing them but just not in the annual buildoff
I tend to build bikes on the spur of the moment when I get an idea and always fail in the buildoffs because I lose interest in what I am building
so Everyday is a Buildoff so build all you want :)

Done both, stock frame and modified frame (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7178). I have more TROUBLE building with the stock frame!........I say KEEP it to stock frames. You wanna build full blown customs or modified frames, you don't need a build off, just BUILD it! Part of the success of this site is the simplicity of the bikes. Look at JoeyMac's Devil Wing, a straight forward simple (very cool) build, that keeps getting COPIED over and over, that's the beauty of this site. ANY bike you see you can build it!........We're supposed to build bikes we can ride! I haven't seen ANY customs (choppers or stretched) that will perform as good as ANY of the bikes in the last three official build offs. RAT ROD BIKES = Looking cool and PERFORMANCE too............Try taking any custom and putting it against one of "Yeshoney's" bikes............If it ain't broke....don't fix it (leave it to stock frames)

if you want to get crazy, you can always break off the builds like the klunker and spacebike builds. Keep them all seperate....that would be overkill for some I'm sure.... :roll:

CCR said:
ultimately, i vote for whatever is easiest on Steve. :mrgreen: i feel sorry for you sometimes Steve !!!
lol
bnaward.jpg

I voted for 2 classes. If 2 classes is not doable, I say stay with the stock frame rule.

From my stand point I say if you exclude people, than this site isn't really doing what it's mean to do. That is...let everyone have fun and join in with bikes in general. Sure, I may be able to build my own frames, but that doesn't mean I have any more money in it than some guy who buys a donor bike. Remember my last post about that Goodrich bike...$90!! My custom frames don't hardly cost that much. I absolutely refuse to pay that much for something when I can make something I like better for myself. That being said, there are some .... cool bikes on this site that I would really love to have. I really dig the boardtrackers. But for me the fun comes from creation and bending tubes. I don't like scraping paint and getting rid of rust. So why should I be excluded from a build because I go about it a different way. I guarantee not everyone will like one of my builds more than an assembled production bike. How did Monster Metal get to do a build with a highly fabricated front and rear end...just because he didn't build the frame? I'm not ragging on him at all. I just think that if you let that count as a "non modified frame" then anyone should be allowed. Afterall, it seems the underlying theme here is...TO HAVE FUN!
I think guys who can make old bikes look cool have a talent I don't. I'm terrible at restoration. But then maybe I have a talent they don't with bending tubing and metal. That's the beauty of creation and art.
Sorry for the long post. I'm reluctant to submit it because undoubtedly someone will take this out of context. I'm not mad or anything...just expressing a thought. This is in no way a bash on anyone or this site. This place is great and I enjoy seeing all the bikes and being a part of it. I'll support any decision made, just felt like participating in discussion.
Ewheeler.

Well I'll tell ya...I got an ear full from several folks about Larry's bike on the last build off.

It took me a week to decide whether I should let him stay in the competition or not.

I knew he would end up winning when I saw how much fabrication was going into the bike, but in the end, I decided that he wasn't altering the frame geometry so he could stay.

I guess I'll see what the majority think with this poll and decide what to do from there.

You all are gonna get a reply just like I gave the last time. The RRBBO is an evolutionary concept, not a revolutionary one. That being said I voted for one class just as before. My phiosophy is this ~ When the BBO is over you are left with a bike, which, is your prize! You better like it and want to ride it or why did you build it in the first place? To impress the voters? Hope not. The only one you have to impress is yourself and your ability to satisfy your own style. If you want to build a trailer queen, nobody's stoping you? Want to build a true no dollars homologation - build it because it makes you happy! The fun in all this reverts back to a rather childish observation that when summarized reads "It's not about the prize, it's all about the journey getting there!" The long drawn out build threads are what keeps this community tight. The sharing and non selfish behavior are what appeals to this crowd. And I may not "really" know all the people I have met, but I do know that we share a few basic human principles and philosophies and that makes me want to be part of this community!

Thanks for letting me share!

Joe

Back