schwinn kickstand question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the 600 lb Harley Davidson kind. :p
WLA3quarters.JPG

I will agree that the integrated kickstand is a feature Schwinn used, but they weren't the only ones to use it.

I've got a few bikes in our fleet of cheap cruiser/MTB type bikes that have an integrated stand. They're all early-90's steel bikes from major manufacturers. Columbia and Huffy both used them on some models- and others had a bolt-through type. Some Huffy ones have an external black wraparound spring instead of the sprag, spring, bushing and pin of the Schwinn design.

Here's a Huffy Savannah, probably late 80's, that we used for our Bike Share program, with integrated stand. (Nice shirt too!)
bikeshare2.jpg

There are exceptions to every rule- there are Schwinns made by Panasonic, Giant, and other Japanese builders going back to the early-70s' LeTour models that are completely different frames from any of the American built bikes. The Schwinn "select series" bikes for sale in bike shops are Pacific Cycle built bikes from China- and most have integrated stands.

The Electra and Felt models for their cruiser lines have integrated stands, that look a lot like a Schwinn piece. The basic idea hasn't changed much.

As far as removing one from a frame, I use a large vise (6" is minimum, needs to be a good big one) and a special tool I make- I've made a number of them from 5/8" stainless tubing- to compress the bushing and spring and allow the pin to be pulled out.

The tool is simple enough but maybe hard to describe. It's a 1" long piece of tubing cut open on one side. I cut it so it's about 60% of a circle- enough to fit over the 1/2" kickstand rod and stay in place tightly. A big C-clamp or huge channel-lock pliers can do the compression job too.

Press the bushing in until the pin releases (usually about 1/8"). Remove the pin, try not to lose it, and gently release tension on the clamp or vise. Really really helps to have a second person. The stand won't go flying across the room, it only come out about another 1/4" when tension is released.

The sprag is driven out of the frame using a punch or small socket extension. They can be stuck but usually pop right out with one tap.

I can make a tool if anyone wants one, just pay shipping.
Sorry I don't have a picture of it handy.

--Rob

well, i have a friend that bought a schwinn and it seems that somebody chopped off the built in kickstand. is it possible to buy this so it can be welded back?

Back