SHOW US YOUR WORKSMAN BICYCLE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frame and wheels from ind-chuckz... I'm diggin this bike!! I was gonna strip it and paint it over, but I thought the chips and scratches belong on a Wroksman..so I cleaned and waxed it..

worksman5.jpg

worksman3.jpg

worksman2.jpg

worksman1.jpg

worksman4.jpg

looks good, weakfish. i firmly believe that ind-chuckz is the single-most important contact that a worksman enthusiast can make. He sure beats the folks who actually work for Worksman!

-rob

ps-what cranks are those?

Howdy all,
I am new to this site but I just picked up a very cool Workman(will post picks later) and I have a couple of questions.
1)Is the headset a normal 1 inch? If so, will is accept any 1" headset?
If not, what kind is the best to get?
2)What is the seat post diameter?
Thanks.

BTW, some really nice Workmans

I think the seat post is 22.2 if I remember correctly. I had a little trouble finding a replacent. Bout an afternoons worth of Checking used bike stores to find the right one.

GearlessinSeattle said:
Howdy all,
I am new to this site but I just picked up a very cool Workman(will post picks later) and I have a couple of questions.
1)Is the headset a normal 1 inch? If so, will is accept any 1" headset?
If not, what kind is the best to get?
2)What is the seat post diameter?
Thanks.

BTW, some really nice Workmans

Answers:
1- No, the headset is NOT a "normal" 1". It's one of several, older-style US "standards." Basically, the headtube is much wider diameter than the smaller ones. Even most "BMX"-sized 1" headsets (which are 32.5mm OD at the skirts) will be a loose fit in a Worksman. (I put a BMX-sized Chris King in on one of my Worksmen, but I had to shim it.) Best bet is to use an OEM Worksman headset, but the Wald #4080 will fit, too. Seems like really old schwinns took the same size, but later schwinns seem to be 32.5mm.
-1a- I havent tried it yet, but Genuine Bicycle Products sells a 1 1/8" threadless headset designed to work with these headtubes. If you went that route, you could run a modern 1 1/8" threadless fork and stem on your worksman. Speaking of stems, if you are using the original fork, you'll need a 21.1mm (aka, 13/16") quill stem. This basically means old-skool or old-skool-style BMX threaded stems, Wald stems, or vintage stems. The modern 22.2mm quills found on most contemporary 1" threaded bikes (and many bikes from the 70s) will not fit without modification.
2- The seatpost diameter is, as Heyslugger mentioned, 22.2mm. This equates to a true 7/8" post, and you may well find compatible posts identified as either/or.

I love my worksman, but I have to admit that they are quirky machines. Things can get weird if you've never built an old-timey american bike before. Really, though, you just gotta be ready for the headset/stem issues, and be aware that using non-stock headsets and/or forks could lead to issues with stack-height and the amount of available threads on the danged fork.

Please put up some pics of your build!

232323232%7Ffp63576%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C856%3C9%3A534%3Anu0mrj
(can't recall if i already posted this, and I'm too lazy to go back n check...)

hth,
-rob

Thanks guys for the info.
That will be a lot of help.
The headset is fine but I may replace the stem and BMX cruiser bars for something more original so the headset was a concern.
The seat post is the real issue as it is way too short.
I am also going to replace the black Cook Bros with silver Toplines.
Tires are for sure getting changed and if I can't true the wheels they will be replaced as well.

Is it just the angle or do you have a fairly bent/crimped frame? Looks like it flexed in two places. The bottom most fram tube. I have a wrinkle in mine too where it took some head on trauma. That may just be another odd ball worksman thing. I compared a few pics to the full profile bike photos in your album. What do you think?

Its funny because I never noticed till I took these photos and thought the same thing.
I did the same thing you did and went back through this thread to compare.
Some of the frames have the bottom/down tube "wrinkle" and some don't.
The top tube has that "lift" right by the head tube but when I look at it closely I could not see any stress points or cracks.
Maybe it was built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.?:)
Regardless, it does not effect the ride.:)

GearlessinSeattle said:
Maybe it was built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.?:)

HA! Sounds like you have logically assessed the situation! Yeah my forks were both so smoothly bent back that I didn't notice the fact they were bent! Same goes with my wrinkle. I switched out the fors with some neon green 90s mtb forks and am as happy as I can be.

The frame does look a wee bit tweaked, but the truly important part is in the ride...

The original stuff was probably Wald stuff, Gearless, which should work fine with the existing headset. Also, it's dirt cheap. :)

Lookin' to sell that stem?

Porkchop bmx has excellent, chromed 4130 7/8" seatposts. The 13/16" version of the same that i got was extremely long. Should do ya well, if you dont find something closer to home.

hth
=rob

Yeah, i like than one too, Chuck. Great finish work.

I just got that yellow frame you sent me. Been strippin' the paint all evening. I think it's gonna be pretty good. What kinda plant was that one used in? Had all kinds of gypsum-type residue gathered around the BB shell....

Thanks again! (Pics to come)
-rob

I think the contractors everytime they steal these bikes they paint it a different color.
Bicycle808 said:
Yeah, i like than one too, Chuck. Great finish work.

I just got that yellow frame you sent me. Been strippin' the paint all evening. I think it's gonna be pretty good. What kinda plant was that one used in? Had all kinds of gypsum-type residue gathered around the BB shell....

Thanks again! (Pics to come)
-rob

Back