Sturmey Archer 2 speed kickback hub operation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sachs became SRAM, so they're related, not sure if there's a direct evolution of the hubs though. I don't remember a kickback version of the SRAM, only automatic operation.
Fitchel & Sachs Duomatic
4fichtel-sachs-torpedo-duomatic-adjustment.jpg

SRAM Automatix
images (5).jpeg

Oh jeez this is incredibly cool. I didn't know F&S hubs were black in the forties. Must not have been a lot of exports to North American in that decade, for reasons. He suggests that they made millions of them, perhaps tens of millions. Now I gotta keep a secret from Duck Norris, he'd want a set of those

It made sense to me.

I actually just bought one. Got the idea from this thread. I am working on a friend’s all blacked out beach cruiser. He lives in a flat area (Richmond VA) and mostly rides to the local breweries . He was complaining that he needed his bike to go faster. Well for some reason it came new geared ridiculously low. Like granny gear. It is a single speed coaster brake. Bought during Covid, so maybe it was due to lack
of parts.

Anyways, I am going to re-lace the rim onto the SA kickback and use a smaller sprocket. Goal is to have a fast and 38% faster gear. No cables!

I am really excited about this. Just got the hub yesterday and still need to calculate spoke length.

If this goes well, I may build another.

Thanks for the idea!
Is that bike a 26" bike? Usually one speed generic cruisers have a 44 tooth chain wheel with an 189 or 19 cog, it must have a 36 or 40 on there with a 20 cog. If so, the cog on the wheel it has may work well on the kickback, and you won't have to change the length of the chain. I've changed them out on mine, they are the same size just less teeth. In fact that's the way to go to keep it simple.

Oh jeez this is incredibly cool. I didn't know F&S hubs were black in the forties. Must not have been a lot of exports to North American in that decade, for reasons. He suggests that they made millions of them, perhaps tens of millions. Now I gotta keep a secret from Duck Norris, he'd want a set of those

Yeah this guy has a bunch of fascinating videos. He lives in a “village” in northern Germany and apparently makes a living repairing and refurbishing these old hubs…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Is that bike a 26" bike? Usually one speed generic cruisers have a 44 tooth chain wheel with an 189 or 19 cog, it must have a 36 or 40 on there with a 20 cog. If so, the cog on the wheel it has may work well on the kickback, and you won't have to change the length of the chain. I've changed them out on mine, they are the same size just less teeth. In fact that's the way to go to keep it simple.

26” wheels. It came with a 40t front chainring and 22t rear cog. I’m not great with gear ratios. I just go by feel. I’m have a few other rear cogs to choose from.

IMG_5613.jpeg

Latest posts

Back