The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Admin
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Trying to gauge interest for this winter. Please choose where you think your interest would lie if you participate

Previous guidelines

ORBO
  • -BMX suitable for an adult to ride, can be set up for park/race/dirt/tricks whatever...
  • -Klunker/Bomber/Hybrid/MTB... (anywhere from period correct early single speed coaster brake Bomber/Klunker to current carbon frame, hydraulic disc, full suspension Mountain bike)
    • This is not a build-off for your everyday cruiser, perfect restoration, or your ride to the shops bikes... This is for bikes that are meant to be ridden hard and fast, jumped, skidded and abused in an off road setting!
MBBO

The 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 options:

• Rear tire larger than the front (Wider or taller or both)
  • Banana or polo seat
  • Muscle bike appropriate bars (Apehangers, steering wheels, "weird" bars...)
    • You CAN have all three options!

And for this year it has been proposed to do a "skinny" wheel build-off category

SBO

Tire width less than 1.5" (40mm). Anything else goes

I'll be building Off Road this time, but the Skinny idea really intrigues me. We could wind up with some good stuff there. It there going to be a limit on the number of entries a builder can enter in any given category?

Last edited:
Any way to promote the voting thread to get some more voices heard?
An admin can probably put a push notification on it. Or people can just keep posting and keep it at the top

Feel free to tag others I may be forgetting

@GTHOtrod @Mr. Monkeyarms

I'd like to, but I can't promise anything. It's a busy school year for me
Right there with you! To bad that my two weeks autumn break start one week before the start of the WBO... Would have upped the chance to get some serious wrenching done within the first days of the WBO. But I'll try anyway...

Of the 7 scrap frames I got from the junk shop in 2020, I have one left. A mixte that was made for 27" skinny tires. All I've done is straighten the stays that were bent from the being at the bottom of the pile.
I think the tire width should be 1.50 and less, although 35mm on 700C is probably what I'll go with. 1.5 seems skinny to me.

mixte.JPG

1.50 tires

Molly 2 16 apr 21.JPG

Of the 7 scrap frames I got from the junk shop in 2020, I have one left. A mixte that was made for 27" skinny tires. All I've done is straighten the stays that were bent from the being at the bottom of the pile.
I think the tire width should be 1.50 and less, although 35mm on 700C is probably what I'll go with. 1.5 seems skinny to me.

View attachment 208344

1.50 tires

View attachment 208345
ISO 38C = 40mm = 1.57inches
I doubt anyone would see or feel the difference between 1.5" tires and 38c at 7/100ths of an inch. So I agree, 1.5" or 40mm
Flip that mixte over and look at those lines! I've been daydreaming of that build for a while...

Carl.
And... When does this WBO start?

Last edited:
It was asked in the other thread as well. Probably 11/1 to 3/1
Two months from now?
I drum up all this buzz for the skinny and then pfft....
all the air goes out of it.

zzz :crazy:

The positive to the build off being almost 2 months away is all the time to collect parts without killing your wallet. We should all be able to build fantastic and unique bikes with all this prep AND maybe I won't be finishing this next one on the day before the deadline...

Carl.

A BuildOff is a little bit like Christmas: You're preparing for it over a long time and then suddenly out of nowhere it's here before you're ready...
santa-is-coming.gif

And aunt edit(h) says:
Oh, and I almost forgot: in the end you get a great present!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back