The Short…Beach…Food…Cape Cod Trail Ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is an exploratory thread to see if there is any interest this month in a Sunday morning ride on the Cape.

Provisional dates: Sunday 14th, 21st or 28th

Meet-up: 9AM at the Cape Cod Canal

OR: Wait until early spring

GL, I would appreciate some logistical help with food stops, beach and ride route locations.

So, what do you guys think? Later this month or early spring...

I agree, GL!

Skip, what Sunday would work best for you? We’ll meet-up at the head of the trail parking lot, unless GL has a better meet-up spot in mind, after all, it is in his back yard!

Well there is a band of three now.
Let’s define the trails a little more. As suggested the Cape Cod offers the trail along side of the canal on the Cape and mainland side. It's the closest to all of you guys. I've only ridden the mainland side twice, once being with Mr. and Mrs. Kota. Scenic yes but the food is not on our path as it were. Easiest to get to. The Cape side I'm not sure where to access but it's a little shorter.
A little farther on the Cape is the trail in Falmouth. Never been on that but they say it's great.
And then there is the trail in my hood. I'm located at the center of the Rail Trail where the Nickerson State Park trails meet. The State Park has it's hills but I use it to make my connection to the Rail Trail. I have in the past brought my friends from my house to Coast Guard Beach and around the town of Orleans where there are all sorts of places to wine and dine at many levels, the Land Ho being one of them, and the tour of the wall murals around town and maybe a trip down to Rock Harbor.
Also there is the Chatham trip that takes us to the light house at the cut to the ocean where we boast the largest Great White sharks known to Cape Codders. That trip is nearly 40 miles round trip and has the Chatham Squire as the favorite local watering hole and eatery, love that place.

Wife and I can do Oct. 21.......Not sure about 40 miles. :roll:

Oh yeah the secret meeting place is where route 6 and route 3 meet before going over the Sagamore Bridge. You work your way towards Friendly's and drive past it to the Canal. The parking lot is right there. From there we would go left on the trail to the Cape Cod Bay and then back the other way to Mass Maritime Academy at the Buzards Bay end. There may be places to eat down there I'm not sure but if at the end the ride we can pop over to other places in our cars. Bobby Burns Pub or maybe Sea Food Sam's next to the Coast Guard Station on the Cape side of the Canal (you can see ships pass by while eating your meal). I see that the dates are listed for the mid to end of October, all good with me.
Kota that sounds great, :shock: 40 miles is the Chatham trip.

GL

We might even get a chance to see something like this.
004-21.jpg

Well, 9AM, Sunday the 21st it’ll be, with the meet-up place being at the parking lot near the confluence of route’s 6 and 3 behind Friendly’s; GL, would that be the Friendly’s on Canal Road and could it possible to Google Map the meet-up site and post it here?

Thank you ZL for all the work you put into this ride. I can see we are collecting a few riders already. If you have friends that want in by all means bring them this should be fun. I know my weekend bike friend can't pass this trip up so he can check it off his bucket list ( Cape Codders please easily). So if I did this correctly we will meet here :D On the left hand side of the screen you will see listed RRB Canal Meeting Place click this. You can zoom out from there to see a larger map. Also at the top left you can mess with that box and find Bicylcing, click that and the trails light up 8)
Also it has become clear that we can cross over the bridge with our bikes and get on the other trail to get to Sea Food Sams over by the Coast Guard Station to eat. That's pretty cool we can get over the bridge.

Graylock

GL, when I clicked onto the link, I got a generic map of the United States, Canada and Mexico. :(

Would it be possible to post the street names and junctions i.e. 1st and Main?

PS I consider this ride’s organizational aspects as a joint effort between you and me. 8)

When I clicked "meet here", the left side of the screen...I got California. That's, that's just to far for me to drive in one day.

Graylock said:
Also it has become clear that we can cross over the bridge with our bikes and get on the other trail

Graylock

What bike you bringing?

My wife is all for this ride, she has been trying to get me to bring her to the cape but I refuse to drive there in the summer, this is my cue to fullfill her request. I will be coming with the wife and probably one son. She is looking forward to meeting a few Ratrodders, (Yes I did warn her).

KZ1000 said:
My wife is all for this ride, she has been trying to get me to bring her to the cape but I refuse to drive there in the summer, this is my cue to fullfill her request. I will be coming with the wife and probably one son. She is looking forward to meeting a few Ratrodders, (Yes I did warn her).
Just told my wife.....She's smiling...Tell her to load up on pain killers. Because after spending time with Graylock and myself (mostly Graylock), at the end of the day she'll have a sore neck, from shaking her head back and forth.

ZygoteLittle said:
Well, 9AM, Sunday the 21st it’ll be, with the meet-up place being at the parking lot near the confluence of route’s 6 and 3 behind Friendly’s; GL, would that be the Friendly’s on Canal Road and could it possible to Google Map the meet-up site and post it here?

9AM?

it'll take me 2.5- 3 hours to get there. Can we start a little later?

I'm with Larry on the length of the ride. no 40 miles for this oldish out of shape guy.

thatismytruck said:
ZygoteLittle said:

9AM?

it'll take me 2.5- 3 hours to get there. Can we start a little later?

I'm with Larry on the length of the ride. no 40 miles for this oldish out of shape guy.
:?: :arrow: I too have a three-hour drive, we’ll survive – somehow :!:

2.5 hour drive for me. Anyone using a single speed? I'll try to get my Flat Lander bike rolling if so.

2.5 hours for me too, Graylock you really must be special to get us to drive that far and that early to spend the day with you.

Back