VINTAGE BICYCLE PHOTOS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the stunt rider deserves my attention but what seems to be a 1971 Roadrunner with the 2x4 tunnel ram caught mine. I think that is the last year before they were terribly muzzled by anti-smog equipment.
That one definitely appears to be able to breathe!

I’ve done that too, only it was after I ran into an open car door when I was a kid !
I did it but over a hood. car was backing out drive way. I was attempting that trick. when wham I hit car/station wagon I did not see backing up..

Back when I did the endover the door I was on my paper route. I remember getting chewed out by the driver who opened his door, never asked me if I was ok. He called my dad that night demanding that we pay for the dent in his inner door panel. If I remember right, dad called his insurance company , then told me to be more careful out there. Now days that driver would probably get charged and sued !! Times sure have changed in over 55 years !

fb_img_169593385635365162fd848.jpg

Just discovered this thread and thought it needed some swiss flavour... :wink1:
Most of the pictures I found on this site: https://www.xn--schweizer-militrvelo-pzb.ch/
Some posing pics first (probably around WW1):
VELO01.jpg
VELO03.jpg
VELO15.jpg

Formations:
VELO02.jpg

VELO12.jpg

Switzerland has some mountains, you know...
up...
VELO04.jpg

...and down
VELO08.jpg

Forward march in full atom gear:
VELO07.jpg

Bike with heavy machine gun-carrier (I was trained on these guns). Look how the mud built up inside the wheels..
VELO14.jpg

a bike with full packaging (looks like a paramedics bike):
VELO11.jpg

One of the guys in blue could be me (I remember wearing those scratchy blues for cleaning duty), learning maintenance on the bike:
Parkdienst_12.jpg

In the back on the right you can see the rims still covered with red plastic protection. This means that this recruits just got their fresh new bikes and have to piece them together now. Cueing from the boots and hats this must be some of the last years (early/mid 90ties) where these bikes were handed out...
Parkdienst_14_1994.png

Also this uniform is remembered (hated it)... and I learned to get of my bike like this as well (helped me a lot later on dismounting my MTB when a branch got stuck in my front wheel when going down hill)
Gubler-725x1024.jpg

But despite not liking to be in the military per se I really enjoyed my time as a military cyclist, as the cameradery was absolutely great in these troops!
VELO10.jpg

and some of us also had real fun
VELO09.jpg

My platoon:
Bat_6_Rdf_I_6-1024x1024.jpg

More vintage fotos of swiss military cyclists you can find here: www.ordonnanzrad.ch

Last edited:
Switzerland had also some great race cyclists:

Ferdy Kübler (early 50ties):
FerdyKuebler.jpg

Hugo Koblet (early 50ties):
HugoKoblet.jpg

Beat Breu (pictured here winning Alpe d'Huez in 1982))
BeatBreu.jpg

Albert Zweifel (Cyclocrosser 70/80ties)
Albert Zweifel.png

A little more swissness...

A swiss bike company:
poster_196135_z-3553945047.png

Poster for the 1923 World Championship in Zürich
f9be887f96c942c1072b4f3fe72c9e27-2501391148.png

1973 in Zürich a big protest ride against cars in the city took place (it didn't help...)
Zürich 1973.png

Last edited:
Great pic, Kevin B. I haven't been in Stark since I was purchasing some steel a few years ago. From the address on the door (100) I am guessing it is the building that is still standing on the intersection of Call St and Walnut. The church across the street to the right (barely visible) is probably where the movie theater is now. The street light that the solder is leaning against is "spot-on" to the street lites that are currently in use there, just moved around a bit....md

Great pic, Kevin B. I haven't been in Stark since I was purchasing some steel a few years ago. From the address on the door (100) I am guessing it is the building that is still standing on the intersection of Call St and Walnut. The church across the street to the right (barely visible) is probably where the movie theater is now. The street light that the solder is leaning against is "spot-on" to the street lites that are currently in use there, just moved around a bit....md
It was on my Florida History feed.

Latest posts

Back