VINTAGE MOUNTAIN BIKES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This vintage Takara Scout MTB sat out in the weather for a while it was at the curb with a free sign on it my son rescuded it from his neighbor in Prescott AZ. I tore it completely down and cleaned & cleaned & lubed everything, replaced the head set, bottom bracket & chain, brake pads, derailleur & brake cables, grips, tubes & tires, reassembled it and adjusted the brakes and derailleurs the thing rides and functions like a champ. It's a complete gas to ride. I can't believe what people are willing to toss out or just give up on.
IMG_5669.JPG
IMG_5670 (1).JPG
IMG_5670 (1).JPG
IMG_5672.JPG

I bought a Takara 10 speed back in 83, I didn't know that had mountain bikes. That one looks great with the bull bars.

Yes you saw it! It is a 1965 Schwinn Fleet 26" I built for my wife it's been on the trail now for a couple of months. It started out as a frame/fork with complete bottom bracket that was usable everything else I had to round up. My friend owns a sandblast/powder coat shop that I make good use of..........so this is what she gets and she really digs the build.

Attachments

• IMG_6348.JPG
    IMG_6348.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6349.JPG
    IMG_6349.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6350.JPG
    IMG_6350.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6351.JPG
    IMG_6351.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6352.JPG
    IMG_6352.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Went to the weekly ride with this one…caught a flat and was also told that my front brake was inadequate therefore it was strongly suggested that I not ride by the “experts” ( now as far as the fixie and bmx crowds are concerned there’s never a discussion of riding sans brakes but I’m not supposed to realize that) personally I could see the low key envy in his eyes. Then again this is the same shop where someone told me that a regular chain would work on a skiptooth setup 🙄. Anyhoo, I wasn’t going to waste a 20 minute trip so I went against their advice and went on a solo excursion and still had a blast. I normally bring a different bicycle every time that I show up and it’s to the point where people are waiting to see what I’m rolling on next. But due to this circumstance they’ll see this classic aluminum (aircraft grade…no weight wienerdom here but this has to be the lightest bike that I own and its a blast to ride) multi terrain beautiful brute next time I show up there. So for the haters until they find a way to cope just keep crying…for I can use those tears to jazz up my coffee a bit. Anyhoo, I’m done rambling. One love y’all.

Oh and it’s a ‘93(?) GT Panthera…
V brakes are more than adequate for Mtb Bike use. I live near the Sierra's and have raced in them. Long downhills at absurd angles happen and the bike rims get very toasty but other than that never had any problems with good Mtb rim brakes. Good luck with your great looking older Mtn Bike.

Latest posts

Back