BO15 WAHA-SEDB-3 (TRIKE-TOR...2nd Place)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out this solution...

https://pin.it/4QU9fNF

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Neat stuff. Lots of ideas and concepts there. Has me rethinking a few things for sure.
With my limited available tools and equipment most of the refined stuff is oh of reach. It is good to see that others have made the effort to make the concept work. I’d seen a few concepts but none as sophisticated as shows up in the Pinterest link.

Last edited:
We often weighted our front end on the tractor, for steering assistance on the rough terrain, to keep the front end down on pulling loads up relatively steep hills, to prevent 'skating' of the front wheels on icy roads covered with snow. It's also a principal used for handling on a bicycle. Weight distribution is essential for handling, propulsion, and traction.

veloplus2.jpg

https://bike-on.com/van-raam-veloplus.html

Van Raan Veloplus detail.jpg

Last edited:
Think I’d seen this one before, machine work in it way past my DIY shop capacity. Very refined though...$1000.
Thank you HF.
A couple of 2x4s and some hinges, U-bolts, duct tape and whatnot. No big deal. [emoji23]

Did you see the detail from the Etnnic adventure trike, a steering damper.View attachment 119434

Yep I had that type in mind but springs were the cheaper trial and error method. See my next post.
I wonder how many pounds of resistance there is in door closers?

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I moved the U-bolt anchor point back and adjusted the turnbuckle to get more spring tension. They are now both in tension whether going straight or turning. The turning radius/diameter equal our street width. I added a “Homer’s All Purpose Bucket” with tools for the ballast test. The increased spring tension and ballast help to tame the beastie front wheels tracking. Almost good based on the crude system it is.
0e443e9f4a79960c69a4244516b6a544.jpg

2d18e24e0cf452e14d25943cb9ea7813.jpg

2e1cc62cd1c1219012e23353a1852570.jpg

The test was with bars but there is still a plan to use the steering wheel. Still may explore the 36” long axle, thinking that would help stability and as long as the axle is fixed it would help turning radius.
72d7dd8d563c10fa59c03e444589cb4d.jpg

Different concept

That’s pretty slick. I have a couple of bikes more worthy of TreGo attachment than the old Hawthorne. Some ideas there I might try to borrow.

Last edited:
I think you might be on to something with the wider axle / wheelbase in the front, MF. Our Farmall benefited from that set-up. Of course, you have different parameters with wanting to be able to negotiate the bike paths and not 'plow' anybody over; if you know what I mean. ;)
Down on the farm.jpg

Yep, that's me riding shotgun with my 2 yr old son Luke driving and his brother and cousins, uncle and grandpa in the background.
farmall_cub.jpg

I think you might be on to something with the wider axle / wheelbase in the front, MF. Our Farmall benefited from that set-up. Of course, you have different parameters with wanting to be able to negotiate the bike paths and not 'plow' anybody over; if you know what I mean. ;)
View attachment 119594
Yep, that's me riding shotgun with my 2 yr old son Luke driving and his brother and cousins, uncle and grandpa in the background.
View attachment 119595
Farmall Cub! I keep trying to convince my wife I really need one of those to mow our .9 acre yard and till a garden. For some reason she refuses to listen.

I tightened the pivot point up some to eliminate some of the free play. I know you’d like to see video but I did ride it up and down our block, it has some elevation change. It was stable enough I felt comfortable. I didn’t use the ballast bucket. Doing some hood test fitting afterwards. I like the proportions as it is now but there isn’t much tire clearance turning. That would make for even larger turning radius. I’m thinking I need to try the 36” axle.
fa9fff9b52ea4eacfe15e96ba896875e.jpg

Think I have a bolt on hood support thought out. I’ll need to get some material to do it. Still may do a cardboard mock-up first.
37259f5845dbd01eb08719e323da7e39.jpg

ba3141c1d8e56d0b41a20ef86165fccb.jpg

aef743c69c8d2971846e271bb4c81792.jpg

Need to cut at least one notch in hood at top tube.
I ordered a pair of steering dampener struts so my wife’s Mazda is safe.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back