What's cooking?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken strips in blush wine vinagrette, sauted chives, garlic, onion, calabasita squash and basmati.
99CA2268-B212-4863-A64C-59157AE05EC2.jpeg

Also no Mexican I ever met would use a green bell pepper for anything.
Poblano maybe, a handful of Jalapeno's sure,
but there's no reason to use a nasty green bell pepper in anything authentic,
with the possible exception being stuck in the artic circle somewhere they don't have good peppers...
lol.
I’ve been married to a Mexican woman for 34 years. She loves them. ;) YMMV

People here sell poblanos, but it’s more common to use the Fresno chili here in Fresno County. Go figure?

I asked my wife about this issue but she is not the authority on cooking. She said call her cousin Lulu, who is. This is what Lulu said: It’s really a local thing and Carl is right.

When she cooks for herself she uses different chilis than when it is for a party. Then she uses green peppers and mild red peppers for color and leaves the jalapenos on the side.

BTW, We went to Modesta’s and Antonio’s. She is strictly a red chili person when it comes to rice.

I don’t care that much. I’m not usually that fancy and I usually just use some tomato sauce and some Tapatio or Valentina’s.

I usually use red and yellow peppers with veggies, green with meat.

I'm no authority either but I am in a different part of the country. 60 miles south of Chicago. Lots of Mexican restaurants here, my favorite cuisine, followed closely by pizza. In fact I can honestly say even the worst pizza I ever had was still pretty good...

I marinated this pot roast in genuine imported Worcestershire sauce for two weeks in the fridge. On the bottom, beef stock, potato, zucchini, white onion, bell pepper, carrots, & celery. On top, salt, pepper, garlic and chives.
E7D2D7EF-B086-44F5-95C5-FFC9C9FA069A.jpeg

This still has 5 hours to cook.

Took the easy route tonight and dressed up some ramen noodles.

Two packets of chicken ramen, a bag of frozen veggies (broccoli, baby corn, sugar snap peas and carrots), dash or two of soy sauce, a scrambled egg and a big dollop of spicy mustard. Easy, cheap, and tastier than I expected.

PXL_20240106_223328584~2.jpg

I marinated this pot roast in genuine imported Worcestershire sauce for two weeks in the fridge. On the bottom, beef stock, potato, zucchini, white onion, bell pepper, carrots, & celery. On top, salt, pepper, garlic and chives.
View attachment 255852
This still has 5 hours to cook.
Any pics after cooking? I do love a good pot roast.

This has become a bit of a weekend breakfast standard for me. Toast w/ mayo and Everything Bagel seasoning (the Mrs. Dash no-salt stuff, it's great), 2 or 3 scrambled eggs, and Cholula.

Unfortunately my hens stop laying in the winter, so these are just store bought eggs - very pale yellow compared to the rich orange I've become accustomed to.

PXL_20240107_150248422.jpg

93D2E0DF-4337-4E55-BC1C-1B1417BF551F.jpeg

Mushroom soup, made with vegetable soup stock. Potato, celery, carrot, bell pepper, red pepper, onion, yellow squash, & garlic.

You have to make a thick base with the squash and veggies, then chill and reheat, before adding the fresh mushrooms.

Then you don’t loose the character of the mushrooms.

Tofu tacos for dinner.

Tossed the cubed tofu in egg wash, then seasoned polenta (cumin, turmeric, coriander, oregano, onion powder, salt & pepper) and fried in veg oil.

Topped with shredded cheddar, baby arugula, chopped cilantro, Cholula, and a lime & coconut drizzle. (Yes, I put the lime in the coconut).

PXL_20240128_224030507~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back