Why would anyone want to make ratrods?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s an old thread, but since it’s been resurrected, I just wanted to add my 2 cents. With the advent of the TV show American Pickers, suddenly everyone and their neighbor thinks that old rusty bike or frame in their garage or back yard is a gold treasure. Even if I wanted to restore a bike, the cost of and rarity of some of the parts would make it unprofitable. Building or restoring bikes is like restoring or building a hot Rod car. You build it for your own pleasure, because more than likely you won’t make a big profit if at all when you sell it. Rat On !!

Why make rat rods? Because cool can be made for less than it can be purchased for.At least that was my plan.

Step 1: Go to SprawlMart and see what a new bike costs
Step 2: use that as your budget to build a rat
Step 3: blow the budget outta the water with whatever crazy stuff you can imagine
Step 4: stand back and know that you selected and/or modified every piece on the deathtrap you've created which may or may not be fit to ride
Step 5: call it cool, be proud etc.
Step 6: go buy that new bike from step 1 so you can ride while you take apart your rat for the thousandth time.
Step 7: call it a hobby so she don't get mad about what you spent in order to save money.

Some people here find just a frame or frame and fork then build something off that. The frames are often dented and bent and need straightening. I was given the remains of an old bike shop that went out of business in 1960. I had a trailer full of discarded vintage frames, wheels, all the parts. So I built frankenbikes. I ride them, non are original, their made from discarded parts and cut up and re welded frames.
B43CDAE0-1028-4C10-AE5F-C452775FCC75.jpeg
0ED7C365-1105-40FF-BC58-02CF625872E6.jpeg
A638B0E7-2CBB-44E3-9916-5F4D0D1940DE.jpeg
615C0990-8A06-4647-A07C-D02E31C4E419.jpeg

What a hot topic old thread.
Of course being new to this site, today is the first time i've read though this thread.
Hadtogo, or whoever started this thread, is most likely gone.

But the question remains. And there could be as many answers as there are people.
Just like the bikes. The differences of build and choices is what makes the the subject,
the hobby, and this website worth taking the time to notice.
And participate in.
And share the same with others.
And find encouragement for life in a troubled world.
And express individuality.
And to be inspired by those differences.
And to see how things might look, without needing to build it first.
And also to be encouraged that your own ideas are as valid as another's are.

Plus it's a lot more fun than being stuck with what is 'for sale"

Some people here find just a frame or frame and fork then build something off that. The frames are often dented and bent and need straightening. I was given the remains of an old bike shop that went out of business in 1960. I had a trailer full of discarded vintage frames, wheels, all the parts. So I built frankenbikes. I ride them, non are original, their made from discarded parts and cut up and re welded frames.View attachment 196969View attachment 196970View attachment 196971View attachment 196972
Nothing in these photographs qualifies as a Frankenbike in my mind. They are all way too nice looking.

I’ve heard it said many times in many ways, but…

You only need lots of time and money to restore a classic.

Ya gotta have balls to cut one up.

The silver one is made from 9 cut up bikes.
Can the ordinary guy tell from close-up that it was?

If not, then that qualifies it as a full radical custom.

A Frankenbike wants obvious welds and some fence bolts or maybe a faucet.

Artistically, it could aspire to the front page of Chicagofreakbike.org

<edit>
I just realized that I used parts from 8 different bicycles to build the one I’m riding now. Plus new parts. I guess it can get complicated real fast huh?

Now this is not a rat bike, but it is a mild custom. Remaining parts of the original bike are the frame, headset, derailleur, bottom cups, neck, seat post, grips, rear wheel assembly and liner.

Rear tire and tube, front wheel assembly, tire, handlebars, lamps, forks, seat, reflector, pedals, cranks and sprockets, free wheel, chain, sissy bar and brackets, plus cables, all came from other places.

That’s a lot of bits and pieces from a lot of places and bikes, but I don’t consider it a Frankenbike.
8C84AA80-180D-4145-803A-536AD770155F.jpeg

Last edited:
Why make rat rods? Because cool can be made for less than it can be purchased for.At least that was my plan.

Step 1: Go to SprawlMart and see what a new bike costs
Step 2: use that as your budget to build a rat
Step 3: blow the budget outta the water with whatever crazy stuff you can imagine
Step 4: stand back and know that you selected and/or modified every piece on the deathtrap you've created which may or may not be fit to ride
Step 5: call it cool, be proud etc.
Step 6: go buy that new bike from step 1 so you can ride while you take apart your rat for the thousandth time.
Step 7: call it a hobby so she don't get mad about what you spent in order to save money.
maxresdefault.jpg

I don’t think i’ve ever had anything with wheels i’ve left stock and most of the cars I have owned had nice paintwork.

I’ve had a 65 fastback for 18 years. Nice all original panel car with an ordinary paint job over the original. The body has heaps of flaws, some are original like the lead fill humps where the rear quarters meet the roof panel. There are ripples in the panels some of which are also from the factory like in the tailight panel which is still curved like it should be. Those features are missing in every restored f’back i’ve seen. Rather than doing the body I put my money into a sweet 331 stroker, 5 speed tremec, posi diff, some sensible suspension and steering mods. I went through the whole car, repainting the floor in red oxide primer, rewiring and new brake and fuel lines. It looks better underneath. People tell me I should do the body. Maybe one day, before I pass it on to one of my girls.

Last edited:

Artistically, it could aspire to the front page of Chicagofreakbike.org

<edit>
I just realized that I used parts from 8 different bicycles to build the one I’m riding now. Plus new parts. I guess it can get complicated real fast huh?

Now this is not a rat bike, but it is a mild custom. Remaining parts of the original bike are the frame, headset, derailleur, bottom cups, neck, seat post, grips, rear wheel assembly and liner.

Rear tire and tube, front wheel assembly, tire, handlebars, lamps, forks, seat, reflector, pedals, cranks and sprockets, free wheel, chain, sissy bar and brackets, plus cables, all came from other places.

That’s a lot of bits and pieces from a lot of places and bikes, but I don’t consider it a Frankenbike.
View attachment 197074
That’s a definition of Frankenbike that I wasn’t aware of. Locally a bike made from parts is a Frankenbike. To us, your description would be called a maggot. It gets muddy, even here, as a rat, maggot or Frankenbike is some times called a Jukari bike, Finglish for homemade motorized work machine.

download (3).jpeg

It is all interpretation, just like van Gogh's definition of art is different from van Rijn's.
I've always heard it used in the "pieced together from the bodies of the dead" context, graveyard parts assembled to make your monster.

View attachment 197223
It is all interpretation, just like van Gogh's definition of art is different from van Rijn's.
I've always heard it used in the "pieced together from the bodies of the dead" context, graveyard parts assembled to make your monster.
It seems you are redefining what a monster is. You’re confusing beauty and the beast.

But it’s a very mixed up world where bad is good and people are down to get up. I can’t argue anymore about this. It’s time to go ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back