You in with what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't decide if I want to enter or not. Already have several projects (home and yard) planned for this summer. And I want to go through the bikes I have and freshen them up some. Plus with 2 grand kids now a couple hours away, at least one weekend a month is mostly spent there. A weeks vacation to Arkansas to see my wife's family is planned mid May and a trip to Ohio in August to see my folks is also planned.

I have been kicking around an idea for a build using parts from Build-Off bikes past, sort of a reboot of the Lean Mean Green Machine using my Spaceliner frame with more of a '60's/'70's muscle car vibe than a vintage hot rod. Yes, the chrome frame would be painted. Thinking a lime (or Sublime) green maybe. But then again, Plum Crazy also sounds interesting...

BRE, my brother and sister-in-law are in Amsterdam and celebrated your King's Day! Orange garb and all!
Awesome! Did they have fun? And did they specifically come for this day?

Today I met a guy at a shop in Geesteren with some leftovers from kings day. He was about to throw stuff away, then I said: Can I purchase that crank and chainwheel from your bike?
He came back with tools I did not expect, something we call a 'straaljager' (jet fighter or angle grinder):

20230428_160523.jpg

And I got a nice metal toy car.
20230428_185854.jpg

20230428_185902.jpg

50 cents, that is a great puchase!

Anybody familiar with my methods knows my bikes change in their final vision almost everyday, before, during and even up to the last minute. When it's posted in the "finished bikes" column, even then, it's only that fixed point in time that is being judged. My bikes evolve (or disintegrate into donor parts...) well after the BO's are done and it's no different this time. Same frame, same Class 2, but my Taco Truck 's vision is a rear drive front trike, like an Ice Cream delivery. Can't hardly wait to get to cuttin' and weldin', (now I'm hungry for tacos... lol)
IMG_20230414_161206460~2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Did they have fun? And did they specifically come for this day?

Today I met a guy at a shop in Geesteren with some leftovers from kings day. He was about to throw stuff away, then I said: Can I purchase that crank and chainwheel from your bike?
He came back with tools I did not expect, something we call a 'straaljager' (jet fighter or angle grinder):

View attachment 229501

And I got a nice metal toy car.
View attachment 229502
View attachment 229503

50 cents, that is a great puchase!
I'm pretty sure they had fun....
FB_IMG_1682685536740.jpg

Build Off 18 Build Up...from, the BACK40.

Great to hear from you again OJ! I thought we lost ya for a while!!!!

hope you enjoyed your time in AZ! Back 40 looks great.

-you got a mixte for inspiration? If I run across a cheapie, I’ll grab it…. Will do in a build off ‘one day.’ maybe a fat tire or MTB mixtie? That’d be a different build.

I had a dig through the recesses of my shed behind all the building materials and tools to find what parts and complete bikes I brought with me when we moved...

Now I have a decision to make...

I have a Hoosier slick to build another crazy muscle bike,
All the makings for another Detroit locker style trike differential including whitewall Harley tires,
A complete rare, but rough 1960-70's Malvern star Skidstar in need of restoration,
The makings of an offroad beater/klunker,
A few other crates of bits,
Of course I still have the two MooseGoose copies, but I can't use them as I built the frames already...
Other than that I have my CyclePro, but I'm happy with how it sits...

🤔

I had a dig through the recesses of my shed behind all the building materials and tools to find what parts and complete bikes I brought with me when we moved...

Now I have a decision to make...

I have a Hoosier slick to build another crazy muscle bike,
All the makings for another Detroit locker style trike differential including whitewall Harley tires,
A complete rare, but rough 1960-70's Malvern star Skidstar in need of restoration,
The makings of an offroad beater/klunker,
A few other crates of bits,
Of course I still have the two MooseGoose copies, but I can't use them as I built the frames already...
Other than that I have my CyclePro, but I'm happy with how it sits...

🤔
1960-70's Malvern star Skidstar, a restore in section 1(nice and easy to get the blood flowing)
Besides they are a great frame and part of Oz history.
And maybe a bitz n bobz trike in section 2.

My first ride starts on the 10th not the 18th,so 9 days to build, not 17...
But I could use my old daily for that ride, and continue to have 7 more days to iron out kinks...1 day to take pics, before any scratches :21:.
My daily at the moment(or my work horse)
1682745941735.png

1960-70's Malvern star Skidstar, a restore in section 1(nice and easy to get the blood flowing)
Besides they are a great frame and part of Oz history.
And maybe a bitz n bobz trike in section 2.
The SkidStar scares me a bit, it is missing quite a bit and I don't know enough about them to know what it is meant to have...

I went to gather all the trike bits and pieces together and realised one hub is missing, I could make another, but my lathe is not set up yet and I have no room currently to set it up...

Thinking, thinking....

Like last year, I'm still trying to find a vintage American frame. All my vintage skip tooth stuff will stay stored unless something shows up.
I went through all my leftovers and have the makings of a swing bike. Class two of course. That's what I'm thinking right now.
I need to build a couple wheels and work on what the frame will need. I'm going to research the geometry of swing bikes as I've seen a couple different angles to the headtubes on the ones I've seen. I'd also like to make it lock in standard bike mode.

29Apr23 parts.jpg

Like last year, I'm still trying to find a vintage American frame. All my vintage skip tooth stuff will stay stored unless something shows up.
I went through all my leftovers and have the makings of a swing bike. Class two of course. That's what I'm thinking right now.
I need to build a couple wheels and work on what the frame will need. I'm going to research the geometry of swing bikes as I've seen a couple different angles to the headtubes on the ones I've seen. I'd also like to make it lock in standard bike mode.

View attachment 229538
I see we are heading in a similar direction as I'm planning a kid sized version of my adult swing bike I recently built....
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/kirsch-special-swing-bike-project-no-welds-so-far.118129/I'm happy to share experiences when our build threads are up (angles and so on...) 👍

In.

I bought this quite rough 1982 Pugeot today and the plan is to fully restore and upgrade it.

Story so far here:
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/a-specialized-for-the-fleet.118258/#post-1247881
View attachment 229544
These bikes are awesome; I’ve tinkered and rode one on and off the past 20 years.

Mine has a biopace chainring, which I love, as to me, it’s a torque rocket. (There’s a lot of controversy over the biopace chaining)

I still need a nice saddle on this thing, but I’ve made a number of upgrades like you’re thinking about and the bike has responded greatly
76F55142-32DC-4A98-A70F-F61E4FFF4750.jpeg

Last edited:
For a couple of weeks now, I think my wife has been drugging me 'cause for the last 2 weeks I have been entertaining building a rear steer bike out of a couple of "tag-a-long" bikes I got for my children years ago; can't find the other one yet. I feel that rear steer has GOT to be a bad idea, so any comments, criticisms (don't hold back), successes, and more importantly willingness to show/discuss failures would be wonderful.
Since driving a fork lift is a huge part of my work I would find a rear steering bike insanely fascinating.
I am quite curious about both the way you set up the steering and the learning curve to be able to confidently ride it.

Back