Brazen 🔥 (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm impressed with what you were able to do with that dremel stand. Even though it didn't fit, the 13 tooth turned out nice. Great work!
Thank You. It turned out better than I had hoped. I have tried thinning sprockets before freehand with a grinder, but have had varying degrees of success doing so. Really wish I had access to a mill again.

A good friend told me yesterday, quit messing with the drivetrain and get this thing ridin'.

So, I switched gears, figuratively, and actually.

I pu the thin, 16 tooth on the back last night
20230616_190312.jpg

20230616_190416.jpg

I re-trued the wheels now they e settled. Broke one spoke on the front. Will replace it soon.

Then I cut in the chain and screwed in the tensioners this morning.
20230617_100113.jpg

Oh, the other day I didn't mention I added some pedals.
20230617_101408.jpg

Took it for a spin around the block. This thing rides like a high end Lincoln or Chrysler. Sooooo smooth.

Took a few pics.
20230617_101324.jpg

20230617_101351.jpg

20230617_101433.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that long wheelbase, wide rims with high volume great riding tires, and compliant frame make for a great ride!
Chain ring and pedal match is perfect. Do you have any of that seat cover left? Matching grips.... ? :nerd:

I believe that long wheelbase, wide rims with high volume great riding tires, and compliant frame make for a great ride!
Chain ring and pedal match is perfect. Do you have any of that seat cover left? Matching grips.... ? :nerd:
Thanks Oddjob.

Yes, I have a lot of that hide left over. Enough for a dozen seats. You read my mind on the grips. I Am planning to make cable ties with it as well.

This happened to that new sissy I got the other day. Should be cured enough tomorrow to put a seat to it.
20230620_114707.jpg

Also, found a 21" nanner. Not sure I like the flames, will put it on with the new sissy tomorrow. Once it and the grips are on, can figure out if it's a go...
20230620_114645.jpg

Tore this bell apart to add some details to it later.
20230620_110958.jpg

Take something new, rip it apart, drill holes in it, reassemble, see if it works....
View attachment 237884
View attachment 237885
Seat has 2 more sissy holes....

Still not 100% on the seat cover. It is growing on me. I did like the comfy leather one on there, just the wrong size.
View attachment 237886
View attachment 237887
Gotta be honest, I'm not too keen on the flame nanner either. It just seems a bit gimmicky for your build and it pulls the eye away from the other details on your bike.

Gotta be honest, I'm not too keen on the flame nanner either. It just seems a bit gimmicky for your build and it pulls the eye away from the other details on your bike.

Take something new, rip it apart, drill holes in it, reassemble, see if it works....
Still not 100% on the seat cover. It is growing on me. I did like the comfy leather one on there, just the wrong size.

Thanks Oddjob.

Yes, I have a lot of that hide left over. Enough for a dozen seats. You read my mind on the grips. I Am planning to make cable ties with it as well.
I think here you've got your answer... 😉😁
(and it's not the cable ties...) 😂

MC, you are a master saddle coverer. Work your magic. I do like the size and position of the flame 'naner. And I don't 'hate' the cover, but do agree that it pulls away from your ultimately unique and super-cool work on the rims and cranks!

And maybe it's a different material altogether. I mean, you know how much we love shopping for material at the fabric store. Purse matches the shoes.... :nod: :nerd::bigsmile:

That's a good word to describe it. And I agree it pulls the eye to the seat, which when someone new looks at it they'll say, 'hey, nice seat' and miss the details.

I think here you've got your answer... 😉😁
(and it's not the cable ties...) 😂
Very good reasoning. Fully agree.

MC, you are a master saddle coverer. Work your magic. I do like the size and position of the flame 'naner. And I don't 'hate' the cover, but do agree that it pulls away from your ultimately unique and super-cool work on the rims and cranks!

And maybe it's a different material altogether. I mean, you know how much we love shopping for material at the fabric store. Purse matches the shoes.... :nod: :nerd::bigsmile:
Gotta have a matching purse. Saw an older lady the other day with a nice big dark dark brown leather purse that wouldda looked great on this build. I haven't been to the goodwill for purses in a couple of years.
20230622_052404.jpg

This 14oz+ thick, extra soft water Buffalo half will work. So far it's made 3 seats. Will use the lower skirt which is the softest, almost spongy soft and a bit stretchy. Right next to where I cut the banana that was on the bike was cut from.

Disassembled.
20230622_072938.jpg

Found the perfect spot on the hide to get a lot of cool grain patterns on the seat.
20230622_161942.jpg

Cut it with 1/4 to 1/2" to spare for the fold over
20230622_163006.jpg
20230622_162946.jpg

Depth with a ruler is 0.21 inches. A Guage would have compressed it a little. Assuming 12-13oz leather.
20230622_163511.jpg

Goth the skiving blade out
20230622_164744.jpg

This is where the old hands come in. After being hit with hammers, cut, bruised, broken knuckles from the car, etc, My pinch and grab is close to broken on the left hand and the right hand also complains a bit. Wonder if the wife misses it or is releived...

... Anyhow. After about 30 or so minutes I've done what I can do this evening.
20230622_171108.jpg

Probably 30 percent thinning on the edges so far. Have a ways to go. Maybe a session on it tonight and a few tomorrow after work.

Hopefully ready to sew the folded edge on Saturday. May cut extra foam padding before then, we'll see.

Take your time, you've got everything else almost dialed in. That cover is going to be just the ticket!

My hands hurt just looking at your pictures.

Looks great that's a thick hide hope those hands are feeling strong when stretching it. Soaking will help.

Disassembled.
View attachment 237950
Found the perfect spot on the hide to get a lot of cool grain patterns on the seat.
View attachment 237951
Cut it with 1/4 to 1/2" to spare for the fold over
View attachment 237952View attachment 237953
Depth with a ruler is 0.21 inches. A Guage would have compressed it a little. Assuming 12-13oz leather.
View attachment 237954
Goth the skiving blade out
View attachment 237955
This is where the old hands come in. After being hit with hammers, cut, bruised, broken knuckles from the car, etc, My pinch and grab is close to broken on the left hand and the right hand also complains a bit. Wonder if the wife misses it or is releived...

... Anyhow. After about 30 or so minutes I've done what I can do this evening. View attachment 237956
Probably 30 percent thinning on the edges so far. Have a ways to go. Maybe a session on it tonight and a few tomorrow after work.

Hopefully ready to sew the folded edge on Saturday. May cut extra foam padding before then, we'll see.
The leather texture is just wonderful!

Back