Brazen 🔥 (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your time, you've got everything else almost dialed in. That cover is going to be just the ticket!

My hands hurt just looking at your pictures.
I've taken more time doing the details on this build than I've done in the past. Stopping to think things thru longer when challenged. I feel it has helped up the quality in the result.

I know Arthir causes you similar issues to mine. Ortho said there is a surgery to clean things up that he says will really help, but my job is in software development and I will need to figure out when now. It's bad enough, it's no longer an If I decide, but when.

These gloves helped reduce the fatigue causing the pain on the session I did this morning before work. I need to get another couple pair of them.
20230623_104027.jpg

One more round of thinning the edges and it will be ready to sew.

Also, the flames were fighting with the leaf. This is the way.
This is the Way.

I totally agree. Especially the yellow. For a shiny muscle bike I may have just taken it apart to over stuff it with foam and put it back on.

Looks great that's a thick hide hope those hands are feeling strong when stretching it. Soaking will help.
It's waterproof front and back. Water just rolls off. I'll give it a good waxing with beeswax as it goes together. Fortunately it's soft enough and stretchy enough because it's skirt leather it shouldn't be too bad to put on the seat

I am also thinking ahead and preparing for the stretch. Will glue on the foam and compress with twine. Sewing a foldover with twine in it to tie it off. Similar to the faux suede cover I put on this one.
20230623_104555.jpg

And once I tie the cover on will release the foam, which will then stretch out the leather. And then the final stretch to clip it a little tighter to the seat.

The leather texture is just wonderful!
Thank You HBN. When I saw this hide a couple falls ago, and it being on sale, and knowing I like rust and metal colors, I knew it would all be used eventually.

Thanks Bobby. That was a weird movie in the 90s. Not so weird now.

Everything is coming together so well on this bad boy. The paint effect still blows me away and red is a great accent to it. That tiny chainring is killer too. Loving this build!

Everything is coming together so well on this bad boy. The paint effect still blows me away and red is a great accent to it. That tiny chainring is killer too. Loving this build!

Glad you are liking how it's taking shape.

Still Got a few details yet to figure out. And maybe a surprise or two yet to work through. (Like shoe-horning a slighly wider GT tire in.)

I'm happy it's on the finishing details now.

Really enjoying this build and seeing your work on the seat cover - amazing!
Thank You rgrrbt.

The first banana that I reskinned was in MBBO3 ( Back when the muscle bike buildiff had a number) . I've picked up a few tricks since then, and re-covered a bunch of seats since then.

The details I post in the journals may help the next builder along in one of their next builds.

I will post it up to the saddle gallery when it's done. A lot of cool seats have been done here.

Awesome build MC! All the details have really come together. I wouldn't have guessed that style of handlebar for this bike, but yeah, it's working really well. The crankset matched to the wheels is fantastic! The larger seat really improves the proportions. It's just a great package all around.
I will post it up to the saddle gallery when it's done. A lot of cool seats have been done here.
Looking forward to checking it out. The recovering process documented here is amazing. I can't imagine doing it with hands that can be painful. :thumbsup:
:cool:

Awesome build MC! All the details have really come together. I wouldn't have guessed that style of handlebar for this bike, but yeah, it's working really well. The crankset matched to the wheels is fantastic! The larger seat really improves the proportions. It's just a great package all around.
Thank You Pondo!

I was surprised the bars looked as good as they did with the seat as well. You will probably see this layout on more than one of my future builds.
Looking forward to checking it out. The recovering process documented here is amazing. I can't imagine doing it with hands that can be painful. :thumbsup:
:cool:
As we get older we all live with stuff we never thought would happen to us. Cold and hot compresses can help, but eventually the ortho will have to fix it for me. Hope it lasts for the rest of my life when I do.

I don't know how many times I saw Ricardo Montalbon on the TV talking about nice soft comfortable leather.
20230627_173541.jpg

This seat kinda reminds me of what I thought leather seats in a Cordoba would feel like. Dad had an '82 Cordoba. Had soft, plush Velour seats... Comfy, but, not the same as what Ricardo was sellin.
20230627_174402.jpg

Now the seat on the Blue bike that I had on here for a couple weeks is one of those seats that the second you sit down on it, its soft to the touch, but you know you could ride it for 100 miles today, at 33 mile stops. It has more foam compressed into a smaller space than the new seat.
20230627_173503.jpg

The tie down marks leveled in overnight and I sat it in the sun most of the day.
20230627_180533.jpg

At lunch I tied some of the folds on the front of the seat together to flatten it out.

Took Brazen out for a short ride this evening around the block. The seat feels firm as you sit down it immediatly becomes soft as you put your weight on it. Haven't had a bicycle seat yet like this one.
20230627_181824.jpg

I plan to take it on the Wednesday night ride downtown tomorrow 🌙
. Will see how it rides for a few hours.
20230627_173620.jpg

Last edited:
Well. Last night was a fun ride. Probably at least 200 bikes riding in the group.

At.night the foil shines even in small amounts of light
20230628_204420.jpg

20230628_214008.jpg

So. One really cool thing. The person who handed me this frame to build, Juan, a good friend, handed me this mug last night after the ride. 2016 was my first OBC.
20230629_172929.jpg

I took the Bomber40 special to the show that year. A few years later gave that bike to my best friend of 42 years.
20230629_172935.jpg

These mugs are few and far between. Honored to get one. Had to put a little sumpin' in it for the pic.

Ok, back to the bike. A few things already need to be fixed. Plus a few things are on the list to be finished.

Fix List.
1. Steering got really stiff at the end of the ride. I thin it is from the lower race, but will see what falls out when I take it apart.
2. Fork is clearly bent. Can't see it by looking at it, but it rode like it's bent. Fork has to go if I want todo #7 below anyway.
3. A gear or two randomly step outta gear with a little clunk. Need to figure out the fine tuning on that hub.

Finish list.
1. Faux Tank will be next. Rather than doing darts will tank it.
2. Shifter need gilding.
3. Grips need to match the seat. Curtains gotta match the drapes....
4. Need to make some cable ties from the same leather.
5. Fenders? Maybe...
6. Light? Maybe...
7. 2.5" wide tires if they will fit

Last edited:
Would love to hit the OBC sometime! There is one in April as well, right? Maybe drive up from Mesa.
It is usually in April. This year they weren't able to pull it together. We are awaiting news if it will be here next year. Fingers crossed they will have it in 2024.

The local clubs still put on a Vegas bike week with planned rides and activities this year on the planned OBC dates, for those that still were planning to come to Vegas, ending with a big BBQ on Sunday.

When I hear news I will let you know.

Cut a cardboard template and a few pieces of mesh at different gradients this morning.
20230702_074032.jpg

20230702_080328.jpg

20230702_082845.jpg

When the different gradients make the different layers show thru in different spots.

20230702_082933.jpg

Still figuring out how I'll attach them. Thinking brass wire.
20230702_083945.jpg

Was thinking walnut up front, textured rust at the back and a sunburst red and brass in the middle.
20230702_083014.jpg

Back