Brazen 🔥 (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut a cardboard template and a few pieces of mesh at different gradients this morning.
View attachment 239179
View attachment 239180
View attachment 239181
When the different gradients make the different layers show thru in different spots.

View attachment 239182
Still figuring out how I'll attach them. Thinking brass wire.
View attachment 239187
Was thinking walnut up front, textured rust at the back and a sunburst red and brass in the middle.View attachment 239183

This effect will be so cool. I remember when you did it before and it should be perfect for this build.
I love how Gritty and Groovy this build is looking!

so awesome MC,
Thank You Son of Kradus! It's coming together well.
20230703_064516.jpg

That’s gonna be a cool effect! 😎
I hope so. So far lining them up looks good. Will be masking this afternoon for the next layer.
This effect will be so cool. I remember when you did it before and it should be perfect for this build.
I love how Gritty and Groovy this build is looking!
😎 Groovy. Yes, I could see this bike a burning man with a couple of riders going across the sand having a great time. 😈 it's got the gears, the comfort, and not too worried about scratches or blowing sand hitting a show bike paint job...

The first time I did the screen effect, it was with really similar colors. Just looked rusty. Minus the sun burst.

The second time I did it, it was black chrome, silver and blue. Added bright to the tank.

This time, I was checking the layers. Was thinking maybe the brown texture on top, but so far, liking the dark on top.

With the texture on top.
20230703_101117.jpg

With the walnut on top. 👍

20230703_101218.jpg

While I'm watching paint dry, I took some time to put the layer of shiny on the shifter.
20230703_100500.jpg

The issue is the clear coat seeped under the masking tape and melted the clear window on top.
20230703_080840.jpg

Looks like a job for the dremel polisher. I have some plastic compound somewhere. Will have to find it.

I agree with you that the walnut on top looks better. The lighter color pops through the holes and is more noticable than the dark trying to peek out through the holes in the first pic.

20230704_084744.jpg

Upon inspection on the headset, I had the wrong bottom race and found a better ring of bearings that fit better for the top and bottom.

Need to clean this up and paint it to arrest the rust. Then will drop a better race on it.

------------

Painted the first round of sunburst
20230704_084335.jpg

Took the paint off and some specks of red lifted

Touched those up with
20230704_092559.jpg
a water based metallic bronze marker.
After sitting 20 minutes barely within the 60 minutes to clear coat.
20230704_093207.jpg

Sitting around watching paint dry some more .
Ha ha ha , if i can get a good enough finish off the can or gun i'll actually sit and watch the paint dry! love it, Ive mentioned I work night shift and have just watched 2 cricket test match's between Aus and England (Ash's series) over 10 days, for anyone who dosnt know, watching international test cricket has always been compared to "Watching Paint Dry". LOL. ive had a great 3 weeks at work and now Wimbledon is cranking so i'll watch that too!
That mesh is coming along great,
Would you believe I picked up my first pair of leather handgrips with that Firmstrong I got from the dump, I thought I was the only one who had these, I now see you repairing and making your own ha ha ha ... Jeeeeez I gotta get out more!
Great work man!

Spent a little time with the window. Messed up the finish a bit. After I'm done I may refoil it.
20230704_114227.jpg

20230704_120155.jpg

Finished up the grips.

20230704_075054.jpg

20230704_105217.jpg

Paint is drying. More todo, but Done for today. The BBQ Grille, beer and a pool are the plans for this afternoon.

I hope everybody has a safe 4th of July who are celebrating it.

Cheers!

Quite crusty under the bottom race. Bet it feels great to get it cleaned up. Your leather work is top btw

Ha ha ha , if i can get a good enough finish off the can or gun i'll actually sit and watch the paint dry! love it, Ive mentioned I work night shift and have just watched 2 cricket test match's between Aus and England (Ash's series) over 10 days, for anyone who dosnt know, watching international test cricket has always been compared to "Watching Paint Dry". LOL. ive had a great 3 weeks at work and now Wimbledon is cranking so i'll watch that too!
I'd hope that tennis will be a bit more exciting. :)

That mesh is coming along great,
Would you believe I picked up my first pair of leather handgrips with that Firmstrong I got from the dump, I thought I was the only one who had these, I now see you repairing and making your own ha ha ha ...
Hehehe...

I tend to make a lot of my own ___________... <---( insert part here.)

The mesh has one a layer of foil coming up in a couple of days and a final coat of clear.

Funny thing about the grips, I bought these grips brand new, knowing I was going to modify them. Here they sit with less than 10 hours of use re-skinned to match the seat. I've done similar non-padded. Hard on the hands over time. The heat down here will destroy the foam in 3-5 years at which point I may do the same thing again.

Jeeeeez I gotta get out more!
Great work man!
Thank you again !!

for anyone who dosnt know, watching international test cricket has always been compared to "Watching Paint Dry"
Sounds like preseason baseball. But with ten day long games!

Spent a little time with the window. Messed up the finish a bit. After I'm done I may refoil it.
Doooood:rockout:
Putting the finish on the gripeShift housing is bananas! This is insane
Absolutely stunned by this build o_O

Put it all back together late this afternoon.
20230705_190447.jpg

Started working on the cable ties with some brass wire
20230705_182344.jpg

20230705_181231.jpg

Still need to tighten them up with a twist, once I get the slack worked out.
20230705_183753.jpg

New bearings, lower race, antiseize, and this cool top nut with a rubner bushing, that came in the headset.
20230705_191503.jpg

Not sure I like the fork yet, it's a change...can be bright in the tight sun. Gonna sand it with 1200 sandpaper after it's cured, and polish it with wax to tame it down a little.
20230705_192355.jpg

7ish seems to be a great hour to get this bike to light up...

20230705_190845.jpg

Takes to sunlight and the camera well.
20230705_192216.jpg

Back