BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put this on the list. :mrgreen:
g-ratter said:
Headbadge.jpg
:lol: 8)

few more bikes this year painted without a rattle can and with a gun. i dont mean to stir the pot again but thats why i asked that pinstriping be made legal because not all can do it. i know this could snow ball but it is pretty well accepted that custom parts can be made by someone else too. not saying it would make a difference as nor would a bike that was pinstriped or not. just typing out loud.

karfer67 said:
few more bikes this year painted without a rattle can and with a gun. i dont mean to stir the pot again but thats why i asked that pinstriping be made legal because not all can do it. i know this could snow ball but it is pretty well accepted that custom parts can be made by someone else too. not saying it would make a difference as nor would a bike that was pinstriped or not. just typing out loud.

You have a point. I was just raised to do everything myself and for me, what I do is good enough.

I'd like to think that the people voting will see it this way as well, effort and execution by the builder compared to money spent and resources available to the builder, but I also know that this "contest" will be voted on by a lot of new comers and johnny come latelys who haven't followed the builds but are only seeing the finished products.

I've pretty much kept my mouth shut on this whole voting thing, because I know our fearless leader and administrators/moderators do the best they can and do it the most fair that they can, and I respect that, I really do. My only suggestion would be a vote held only by the participating builders with finished bikes. Almost like a buider's choice award.

Anyway, I've said my peace, I think the 3 votes for everyone is great, because as a new guy last year, I voted and I hadn't followed a single build and none of the 3 votes I cast had any say so in the top 5 finishers. I voted for what I thought was a cool rat rod bike, and I expect that's what most will do and that's cool to me.

All I know is that as I look back at the last build-offs, it seems like every single winner DESERVED to win! You know what they say, the cream rises to the top! :D

Rockit! said:
All I know is that as I look back at the last build-offs, it seems like every single winner DESERVED to win! You know what they say, the cream rises to the top! :D

Exactly. +1

A little off topic, maybe I'm splitting hairs here but, rule #9 reads:

9. Paint must be applied by builder...pinstripping by someone else is acceptable.

Does actually mean 'finish must applied by builder'? I ask because, I think I've seen some powder coated bikes entered. Now, unless it's being applied by the builder, how does that differ from having the bike sprayed by a pro? The finish from powder FAR exceeds that of rattlecans.

I'm not crying or trying to upset anyone or cause a war, just asking a question.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Doc,
I can think of 1 bike entered that is powder coated but he bought the bike second hand that way. WHen that came up it introduced a loophole. Find a bike with a professional finish you like and buy it that way prior to the build-off! :idea:

I don't know of anyone who has had their frame powdercoated during the contest, but I'll just say that any rule bending during the build time is ok with me (as long as it is public) because once voting time comes I vote according to the rules.

yoothgeye said:
My only suggestion would be a vote held only by the participating builders with finished bikes. Almost like a buider's choice award.
That is a GREAT idea :wink:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Check.

I'm with you on 'voting criteria'. So, if I powdercoat the frame for next year's buildoff ahead of time, I can enter it? hmmmmm.... :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. T

No no no, that would be like starting the build early (which I have seen some people do). No, you would find a frame you want and give it to someone, have them powdercoat it, then you buy it back from them already powdercoated, then your answer can be "It came this way." :wink:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
loophole!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yoothgeye said:
No, you would find a frame you want and give it to someone, have them powdercoat it, then you buy it back from them already powdercoated, then your answer can be "It came this way." :wink:

Rob...We could do this! Just alittle frame exchange until next years build off :lol:

I think next year it will be "anything goes" and then this thread would be reduced down to about 2 pages....ha ha. :lol:

Ah...but how would we decide who'd won? :lol: :p :roll: :wink:

the same goes for if u found a pro painted frame cheap and used it next year. its a loophole for sure lol and sorry steve it was me typing out loud. the bikes entered this particular year show the whole range of bikes and it all will come down to what people like best. good luck to all

Latest posts

Back