BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
druggedonions said:
herr_rudolf said:
Ah okay. :)
I wasn't really aiming at you but at what you were suggesting I guess. Every year there are quite some people saying they can't make up their mind. To them I just want to say: '...If picking out a winner is too difficult, then... don't vote...'

But you do get the point I was trying to make? More votes each isn't going to help the already feeble voting system we have been using. For giving my appreciation to all the bikes I like and love I just leave a comment with my appreciation in it's buildthreads.

I should stop taking things personally. I got what you were aiming at, and understand why. I thought that with a couple more votes each, you could get a vote on your own bike out of the way and still have some left to vote for others.

I try to leave comments on those builds I really like, but even then there are lots and I forget which I have already commented on. Voting on 5 when all's said and done would suit my brain better. But, that is my personal opinion.

karfer67 said:
the only change i would make to the voting would be to go back to one vote each. thats it and all u get pick your fave and thats it. or to break up the neck and neck deal figure out how to set it up so when each person picks their three bikes they can do 1st 2nd and 3rd and first gets three points second two and third one. i dont want to stir the pot on this just typing out loud

That sounds almost as complicated as the recently proposed change to the English voting system. I know I shouldn't talk about politics, but if you've got the time. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12910547

herr_rudolf said:
Does anybody else notice that the winner of the build off doesn't have to be the ultimate favorite bike? The winner could be everybody's 3 choice by getting the most votes eventhough they were just everybody's 3rd vote...
(It seems that only a few people get that..)

I didn't, and put that way you've got a bloody good argument right there.

herr_rudolf said:
OR...
This just came to me: The best/honest/purest way of sellecting the ultimate winner of the build of would be having TWO voting-rounds.

- 1st Round: pick your 3 favorite bikes.
(This'll give us three bikes to choose from. And the chance for everybody to give and get their pitty/mercyvotes... :wink: )

- 2nd Round: pick your 1 favorite bike out of the three sellected.

Not wanting to make things complicated, but I think choosing your personal favorite out of the three sellected in the first round will give you the ABSOLUTE favorite for 98%. EVERYBODY HAPPY!
(Oh, and the other 2% should come from making the score invisible for those who haven't voted or till the voting is done.)

But really, I know it's a hassle to change the system, and to keep Steve from headin' out for some headachepills:
...I'm okay with the way things are..
. :wink:

Sounds like a big head ache.

It's a bit late now but I didn't think the voting system was too bad. (ironically, I do now).

i could not agree with you more that what i proposed is way too complicated. but like others said because each vote is worth one a lot of us tend to pick our fave three but might like one more than the others but as far as the brass tacks votes go they are even. thats why i suggested only getting one vote for each person thats it u pick your fave and its done. look i have voted many bicycle and car shows and my buddies can attest to how serious i take it personally. and a lot of times it ends up in a coin flip because no i cant decide. not trying to stir the pot just speaking my mind thats all bro

Double Nickle said:
New Conversation

WHATS YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE BIKES SO FAR?

MINE...
* HARD LUCK
* SSV#6
*Gaskills Jolene

dude really? i am honored thanks buddy. honestly yours is my fave if i had to pick one too because it is not what i would build but would love to ride.

I'm just in this build off as motivation to learn new skills, have a laugh and I feel this was the best place to build my first rat. I wasn't wanting to stir things up or anything like it. :shock: But I enjoyed the discussion.

I realise the voting system has been mulled over already by people way more experienced in this type of thing. So I was merely putting forward an idea that I had. And mine is only one opinion.

I used to go to VW shows here and never knew how the winners were chosen. Well, I knew someone/people voted, but I didn't know the particulars. I just enjoyed checking out all the great looking cars and buses and marvelling at the skill and effort that got put into each one. It's the same thing here, so many bikes on this site blow me away. And the build off concentrates the whole thing. Everyone starts pulling off ingenious, beutiful stuff that leaves my eyes wide in amazement and lost for words.

The only thing left to say is, I can't wait to see who wins, no matter how. (edit: As long as they've played by the rules :) )

druggedonions said:
The only thing left to say is, I can't wait to see who wins, no matter how. (edit: As long as they've played by the rules :) )

+1 (written and unwritten :wink: )

karfer67 said:
Double Nickle said:
New Conversation

WHATS YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE BIKES SO FAR?

MINE...
* HARD LUCK
* SSV#6
*Gaskills Jolene

dude really? i am honored thanks buddy. honestly yours is my fave if i had to pick one too because it is not what i would build but would love to ride.
Same with yours...I dont think I would of built a bike like it but I would love to ride it. Scary thing is, your about 1/10 of the way finnished and its my favorite. I cant wait to see what it looks like when its finnished. :wink:

yea double i think i am gonna change it's name to "mock up" :lol: dont worry i will get back on it i got some crazy ideas to throw at it still i gotta keep up with guys like you somehow u know.

Wow. It can take hours and hours just to look through all the build-off bikes. I can't believe how many are in the build-off.

personally, im kinda a love-at-first-sight kinda voter. shiny or rusty, whatever catches my eye. unfortunately, that still leaves me with over 100 to choose from! :D

Deorman,

Chill and ease up on Petrohead. He was just giving his two pennies on the subject.

Several weeks ago I left one on- line bike group, because they stopped talking about bicycles. If you are suffering from riding your bike too far you have my sympathy, but I really don't think the group should discuss it for days and days. I posted a suggestion that some members meet me here, if they wanted to discuss bicycles. Several snobs said RRB is "just customs & choppers". That is so much male bovine fecal matter!
I have seen more vision, knowledge and skill here than I've experienced in years, and it centers on bikes. The build-off collection entertains, inspires and educates more than any design site. I can't wait to see more finished product. I can't say enough about the skills and talent in these forums. The imagination and innovation shown here have no rivals I have seen, and I've been looking for a few decades.
This is THE place to be, if your mind is still alive and open. Elmer

Elmer said:
Several weeks ago I left one on- line bike group, because they stopped talking about bicycles. If you are suffering from riding your bike too far you have my sympathy, but I really don't think the group should discuss it for days and days. I posted a suggestion that some members meet me here, if they wanted to discuss bicycles. Several snobs said RRB is "just customs & choppers". That is so much male bovine fecal matter!
I have seen more vision, knowledge and skill here than I've experienced in years, and it centers on bikes. The build-off collection entertains, inspires and educates more than any design site. I can't wait to see more finished product. I can't say enough about the skills and talent in these forums. The imagination and innovation shown here have no rivals I have seen, and I've been looking for a few decades.
This is THE place to be, if your mind is still alive and open. Elmer

Well said Elmer, I've been using online forums and message groups for about 15 years and this one is just right. I was a member of honda-tech.com the only problem there was it took a while for you to get equal treatment (I wouldn't do it again), I am still a member of Zuwharrie.com (Suzuki 4x4s) and they are a real family group, no hating, no bashing, no "noob" status, etc... I thought that was the only place like it until I found RRB. I've tried other bike forums and they are all pretty much the same. Ugh.

Love this place, love this build off, I've only been here almost a year but people are willing to listen to (read) my suggestions and follow my build, where on other forums I'd still be a Noob! Thanks guys, now... BACK TO WORK!

Not to change subjects, but.....
It may have been said before, but man there's some serious diversity in this year's entries aren't there?

There's, typical cantilevers and 'tankers', but more diamonds than ever, 'step-throughs (my personal favorite :roll: ), humpbacks, some 5 bars, a mixte, a pixie and even a Basman! Heck, I can't believe Nate hasn't entered his Bluebird! :mrgreen:

There's some new thinking around front and rear suspensions, forks, seats, handlebars...it never stops!

Who says that all we do here is 'customs and choppers'! It's a true pleasure to be part of this little piece of the interwebs.

Build on my brothers and sisters, build on!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Not to change subjects, but.....
It may have been said before, but man there's some serious diversity in this year's entries aren't there?

There's, typical cantilevers and 'tankers', but more diamonds than ever, 'step-throughs (my personal favorite :roll: ), humpbacks, some 5 bars, a mixte, a pixie and even a Basman! Heck, I can't believe Nate hasn't entered his Bluebird! :mrgreen:

There's some new thinking around front and rear suspensions, forks, seats, handlebars...it never stops!

Who says that all we do here is 'customs and choppers'! It's a true pleasure to be part of this little piece of the interwebs.

Build on my brothers and sisters, build on!

Cheers,
Dr. T
+1 8)

Latest posts

Back