BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
top dollar? to sell to a friend???
It's about time YOU teach him about friendship...

Now I'm guessing he only has complete swingbikes?
But if he does have a seoerate part you need laying around, borrow and use that for the build-off. But also duplicate it for yourself to exchange it after the build-off when the original has to go back to your 'friend'. Doesn't he need a reartriangle? Make him one and tell him 'that's what friends are for.' :)

Did you put up an ad in the 'wanted'-section?
Good luck!

He helps me out with a lot of things. As far as wanting top dollar, he is just very attached to them. He sells me other bikes cheap. I think I have only seen him sell one in the last 6 years...to a museum.. He has boxes of repro rear triangles that he sells me at a greatly reduced price from the general public. I cut those up, use parts from them, fix some, use some as is... He just doesn't happen to have any spare top frames. They are all parts of complete bikes. A complete bike is still a $500 bike. I could probably get one from him for $300, but I don't want to spend more than $75 on the whole build.

I will put out a feeler in the wanted section.

bikebuilder said:
He helps me out with a lot of things. As far as wanting top dollar, he is just very attached to them. He sells me other bikes cheap. I think I have only seen him sell one in the last 6 years...to a museum.. He has boxes of repro rear triangles that he sells me at a greatly reduced price from the general public. I cut those up, use parts from them, fix some, use some as is... He just doesn't happen to have any spare top frames. They are all parts of complete bikes. A complete bike is still a $500 bike. I could probably get one from him for $300, but I don't want to spend more than $75 on the whole build.

I will put out a feeler in the wanted section.

Ah... well, he's beginning to sound pretty interesting. He should sign up here and show off! :)
Good luck finding another frame.

Re: Voting???

NLCTVWguy said:
oxyjansen said:
This is my first year entering the official build off, and I was wondering if someone could explain how voting is accomplished and when? I'm making the assumption that all votes are cast after the deadline, and that we the people are the ones voting even if we have a build in the contest? If everyone allowed only 1 vote?

Thanx in advance!

As explained, and I assume the voting will follow the system used last time, every member will be able to cast votes. Each gets 3 votes to apply as they like (to different bikes, you cannot apply 3 votes to one bike.)

It's a bit different system than I've seen with other online polls, and it's been refined here over the past few years. I believe it's fair and it works quite well. I also believe that we are like-minded people who participate here for fun and out of a sense of community. For that reason, I do not believe the voting system gets abused.

This format allows a fair and open vote on the many many entries, and all have a good shot at winning. There is no "elimination" process or head-to-head: it's simply each man (boy, girl, etc) for himself. It's as if 80 people were running for president. And the prize is the honor and glory and a spot on the front page or perhaps next year's calendar.

The contest will be closed to entries at a set time (announced in the rules at the beginning of the Build Off) and the voting will likewise be accepted until a published cutoff time.

OK, I understand, and thank you for the detailed explanation! I just hadn't seen anything about it, and since I pretty much missed last years build altogether I figured I'd best bet myself up to speed with the format!

I saw mention of various categories including "smallest budget", but how about biggest budget? I'll have that one hands down! LOL Parts on my entry are up in the $1600 range already, and I still need a few more tidbits! I'm building the bike for myself, and its my first custom build, so I want it right This is the replacement for my 21yo Cannondale, which is next on the hit list!. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40402

oxyjansen said:
I saw mention of various categories including "smallest budget", but how about biggest budget? I'll have that one hands down! LOL Parts on my entry are up in the $1600 range already, and I still need a few more tidbits!

There are no categories, especially not for biggest budget because we have rule #11:

"11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!"

Now, it's doubtful that someone will call you on that rule, cheap to me would be spending under $100 on the entire build, some people consider cheap "only $1100" but I'd just let you know that the nature of this build is not about throwing around alot of money. But like you said, you're building it for you, hopefully that's all we're all doing (not for you, but for ourselves).

You know I seen someone had fabed there own frame. I cant remember the name of the build. I was gona look at all of them but theres like 150 to look at.

Skrufryder said:
You know I seen someone had fabed there own frame. I cant remember the name of the build. I was gona look at all of them but theres like 150 to look at.

That was the Black Pearl build, and he got the message about the frame. The thread is still in here and needs to be moved:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39909

yoothgeye said:
oxyjansen said:
I saw mention of various categories including "smallest budget", but how about biggest budget? I'll have that one hands down! LOL Parts on my entry are up in the $1600 range already, and I still need a few more tidbits!

There are no categories, especially not for biggest budget because we have rule #11:

"11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!"

Now, it's doubtful that someone will call you on that rule, cheap to me would be spending under $100 on the entire build, some people consider cheap "only $1100" but I'd just let you know that the nature of this build is not about throwing around alot of money. But like you said, you're building it for you, hopefully that's all we're all doing (not for you, but for ourselves).

Well, in my case its certainly not about throwing around $$ for sure, but I figured if I was going to put the time its going to take to make this bike flawless that i'd invest the $$ to make it right. That said, I could do what I normally do and scour every swap around for parts, but with this one the parts I wanted just are not what I typically gather in swap bins. This will be my first custom built, first custom paint, etc, so I'm still well on the back end of the learning curve, but after gathering parts as I can afford them for a year I think the inspiration of the build off is a great motivator to get it done! Otherwise it might take another year to even get to it! LOL

Can't wait till we're all done and voting starts! Looks to be some pretty interesting competition!

oxyjansen said:
I saw mention of various categories including "smallest budget", but how about biggest budget? I'll have that one hands down! LOL Parts on my entry are up in the $1600 range already, and I still need a few more tidbits! viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40402

It's gonna be your bike, you build it the way you want it. If you've got the money it would be stupid NOT to spend it on the stuff you actually want for the build. I certainly would.
BUT... I thought requesting a category 'biggest budget' in a RATROD bike build-off a little bit odd, to say the least. Here on RRB.COM money plays seldom a role of importance. The focus here is on creativity and what you can do WITHOUT the money.

That said, you're building one heck off a bike! Looking forward to see it as it progresses. 8)

herr_rudolf said:
oxyjansen said:
I saw mention of various categories including "smallest budget", but how about biggest budget? I'll have that one hands down! LOL Parts on my entry are up in the $1600 range already, and I still need a few more tidbits! viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40402

It's gonna be your bike, you build it the way you want it. If you've got the money it would be stupid NOT to spend it on the stuff you actually want for the build. I certainly would.
BUT... I thought requesting a category 'biggest budget' in a RATROD bike build-off a little bit odd, to say the least. Here on RRB.COM money plays seldom a role of importance. The focus here is on creativity and what you can do WITHOUT the money.

It was more of a joke than anything else! LOL I didn't really expect such a category, as it would be pretty worthless (I'd probably be a laughing stock on this site for sure with "cheap" being the Rat Rod creedo). Anyone can blow $$, its what you do with the bike that counts! I'd of loved to do my take on a Spaceliner for this build, but I really need a rideable bike for long rides, so maybe next year. I will definitely be posting a lower budget Spaceliner build sometime by Fall (I hope), so stay tuned for more retro road racers in the future!

Herr_Rudolf, what have you entered in the build off?

You know I wish I could find all the parts I want for my builds for free. I hate spending my $$$$, but I love puting my $$$ into my bikes. Just wish I woulda stoped buying parts for all of them and do one at a time LOL... Now I just have a bunch of parts and no running bikes. Oh yeah anyone in the Seattle area??

Double Nickle said:
That might be a little much. No custom frame work at all. If that was allowed I think someone would of tried to recreate the bluebird or an airflow. You need to enter a frame that will still be the same frame when the build is over. :wink:

BTW just a bit of inspiration. With the economic crisis going on along with build off 6, I encourage you guys to build a bike that pays for itself.

Every good neighbor does favors for their neighbors. With this bike it allows you to aerate every year in your neighborhood without a Sweet, or maybe even deliver cargo to the north pole with these "state of the art" traction tires. The bike would pay for itself in one job.
early-icebike-500x436.jpg
Zombie killing bike? :D Looks dangerous.

Skrufryder said:
You know I wish I could find all the parts I want for my builds for free. I hate spending my $$$$, but I love puting my $$$ into my bikes. Just wish I woulda stoped buying parts for all of them and do one at a time LOL... Now I just have a bunch of parts and no running bikes. Oh yeah anyone in the Seattle area??

I have 9 frames waiting to be built, and tons of parts I've collected from swaps and Ebay as well. So, I know how you feel! But, one thing I can say is we have lots of swaps, and I get things like $45 tires brand new for $5, etc, so really you can't beat it. Its all a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and trying to remember what you need! LOL (that's the part i have a hard time with). I bought a box of cottered cranks that yielded 12 NOS sets for $10! I sold the leaving on Ebay, and more than got my $10 back! I do the same with my Spaceliners, and the parts more than pay for my frames most of the time! Whole bikes are cheaper than parts, so you might try flipping some parts to pay your way to build what you like!

oxyjansen said:
But, one thing I can say is we have lots of swaps, and I get things like $45 tires brand new for $5, etc, so really you can't beat it. Its all a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and trying to remember what you need!

No such thing as a swap around here... anywhere. :cry:

No swaps! Bummer! It wasn't till I really started to get into bikes over the past year that I realized just how many swaps we have! We've literally been going to 2 or more swaps monthly, and I think we hit 4 in the past month! I guess we're pretty lucky in New England. Guess your next best bet is Craigslist and Ebay! :)

oxyjansen said:
It was more of a joke than anything else! LOL I didn't really expect such a category, as it would be pretty worthless (I'd probably be a laughing stock on this site for sure with "cheap" being the Rat Rod creedo). Anyone can blow $$, its what you do with the bike that counts! I'd of loved to do my take on a Spaceliner for this build, but I really need a rideable bike for long rides, so maybe next year. I will definitely be posting a lower budget Spaceliner build sometime by Fall (I hope), so stay tuned for more retro road racers in the future!

Ah, I understand. That's why I thought it was so odd. Summing it up in a list of categories that ARE kind of viable.
Beware: I can imagine that telling other members the amount of money you've put into your bike could cause them NOT to vote for your bike because of it straying too far from the spirit of rat/hotrodding. But like I said: The most important thing is YOU. YOU'RE building the bike for YOURSELF. And personally I like the different take on what all of us have been doing in the build-offs. A performance hotrod-bicycle. And besides: When building a real hotrod we all would put our entire budgets into it. Building a piece of performance makes you wanna spend all. You don't see a limit in budget on the Salt Flat of Bonneville, if I remember correctly. Quite the opposite...
8)

Again, I 'm loving your build.

this is mine:
gazelle_recent_1.jpg

^ What it was, and the most recent pic of what it is now ^

You'll have to visit my thread for the ins and outs, and what my other plans are for it.
I left a link to my buildthread in yours earlier this week.

Anybody else think it's great that new entries are showing up in the build-off?

Oh, and I wonder how much the increase is on new members in the build-off period compared to the rest of the year...
Two years ago I was a lurker for months, up untill Build-off #4. I was asked to bring 'some old bicycles' to the trash and thought it being a sign for my first online-build. So I joined RRB.COM to participate in the build-off and was hooked ever since.
8)

i got basically nada in my bike so far. maybe 40 bucks everything else is trades or stuff i had laying around

herr_rudolf said:
oxyjansen said:

And personally I like the different take on what all of us have been doing in the build-offs. A performance hotrod-bicycle. And besides: When building a real hotrod we all would put our entire budgets into it. Building a piece of performance makes you wanna spend all. You don't see a limit in budget on the Salt Flat of Bonneville, if I remember correctly. Quite the opposite...
8)

Again, I 'm loving your build.

this is mine:
gazelle_recent_1.jpg

^ What it was, and the most recent pic of what it is now ^

That's an amazing transformation from a real junker to a sweet single speed~ I might of driven by the bike on trash day and left it there, and here you've breathed a whole new life into it! Sweet job! I was on your thread the other day, but didn't look close enough at the aluminum strips you used for the rack. I'll take another look for sure!

Glad your digging my mock up! I didn't want a road bike, nor a straight antique, so i'm trying to get the best of both worlds, which is something I really don't see on the net. This is going to be the basis for what I'm hoping will become a small custom business for me. We'll see. Retrotech does some similar bikes, but your starting with a $1500 frame and fork! That hurts! LOL.

Back