Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

Have you got a side view of the tank with color coded brackets, because from that pic i prefer the silver brackets. But each to their own. Still a ....... bike. I meant to ask you.... is that a new Sturmey Archer front drum hub? If so how does it perform as i have one ready for my Indian build?

My last post got edited. Still a "beep" bike. And beep wasnt even a swearword. At least not in Australia. Still an "awesome" bike then LOL

harry76 said:
Have you got a side view of the tank with color coded brackets, because from that pic i prefer the silver brackets. But each to their own. Still a beep bike. I meant to ask you.... is that a new Sturmey Archer front drum hub? If so how does it perform as i have one ready for my Indian build?

The old brackets were gold. I've seen them both ways on old original motorcycles. The bottom line was I wanted to add brass screws and you couldn't see them on a gold bracket. Now you can. Yes, its a Sturmey Archer "Dynamo" front drum brake. Mine has a generator in it for the lights as well as a brake. It takes a while to brake in from being new, but when it does it stops as well as a coaster brake. Not in disk brake territory at all, but is good enough for simple riding. Should last a long time. Looks good.

I hope I am doing this right. I have never joined a forum before. I felt moved to chime in on the boardtrack project. I have seen alot of these built but none have impressed me (including my own) as much as your bike. The attention to detail and artistic brilliance you have driven into this bike have inspired me to get back in the shop and be more creative on my bike(s). I thought my bike was almost finished but having read this thread I am determined and ready to take it to the next level. Thanks for your posts.

Welcome Discofishtaco, im somewhat of a newbie as well. Post some pics on here, everyone is super helpful and full of ideas. And we always love more bikes to admire/drool over. And yeah Cobrafreaks is a beauty.
Cobrafreak i see what you are saying..... you wanted more of a contrast and yeah the Sturmey Archer hub is a beautiful piece of kit.

Good eye Dr. T. When I took this pic I was in the process of swappng the rusty old donor bike support w/ a new chrome one. My user name is my business name. I have a fish taco stand. Thank you for the compliment.

Discofish you may want to post again in Bikes with Motors as we dont want to hijack Cobrafreaks thread. Cool bike and one very unusual front pedal sprocket. It resembles a disc rotor

DiscoFishTaco said:
I hope I am doing this right. I have never joined a forum before. I felt moved to chime in on the boardtrack project. I have seen alot of these built but none have impressed me (including my own) as much as your bike. The attention to detail and artistic brilliance you have driven into this bike have inspired me to get back in the shop and be more creative on my bike(s). I thought my bike was almost finished but having read this thread I am determined and ready to take it to the next level. Thanks for your posts.
Thank You! I am humbled. I just did a lot of research before I began. I have some neat ideas for my second bike but I need to pay for the first one first : )

You have to tell us now what your second build will be Cobrafreak? Dont hold out on us. Even if its only at the idea stage. Id love to hear more

All I will say right now is it will be at least 125 cc's or more, possibly 250cc, 4 stroke, transmission, sidecar, and look more authentic. It will be a little bit more expensive than the first so it will take a while to make. I am just thinking it through right now. Don't expect to see anything for a couple of years :lol:

I totally understand, these things take time. Are we talking another Indian? Something to register? More like a motorcycle im picturing. If so ive had similar thoughts. Finding a cheap small cc Japanese roadbike for the engine and vin number and cutting the rest off to achieve a boardtrack look. But im not sure how authentic i could make one look or if it would be put off the road. If i didnt have much money invested it getting put off the road wouldnt be the end of the world as it would still look good in my garage and good for cruising around shows

Here is a picture of what I was planning to do. This Motorcycle is a movie prop made for the 2008 film "Leather Heads" Features a custom built frame, front end, 36-volt electric motor system, and custom weathered paint. Its a mock up of a 1918 Indian. Here is the bike in a scene with Renee Zellweger riding and Clooney falling off. The movie bikes (there were 3 made) were electric so the engine sound would not mess up the actors speech, and engine noise and smoke were added to appear like a real bike. Almost nothing on this prop bike is authentic other than headlight and other small parts. I want to make a gas motorized version registered as a scooter. I can do this, I just need time and money :)

ZellwegerClooneyonbike.jpg

leatherheadsmoviemotorcycleandsidecar.jpg

An amazing build to be followed by another amazing build. In the beginning you mention your background but what experience do you have with metalwork and creating from scratch? I have so many things I want to try but don't feel comfortable just because I haven't done them before. Do you have your welding done for you or do you have a welder and do it yourself? I'm contemplating purchasing one and getting some training but don't know if I need something larger or if a <$200 unit will get the job done. So many questions! Whew.

Keep up the amazing work. The inspiration keeps me going.

WOW thats a nice one Cobrafreak. That bike is beautiful, even if it is a fake. Now im gonna have to go hire this video for a look. Hope its watchable.
Im sure you would do a superb job recreating this bike especially if you have time to plan it all out before you start. Awesome!

WaterDries said:
An amazing build to be followed by another amazing build. In the beginning you mention your background but what experience do you have with metalwork and creating from scratch? I have so many things I want to try but don't feel comfortable just because I haven't done them before. Do you have your welding done for you or do you have a welder and do it yourself? I'm contemplating purchasing one and getting some training but don't know if I need something larger or if a <$200 unit will get the job done. So many questions! Whew.

Keep up the amazing work. The inspiration keeps me going.

My Father is the youngest of 12 children from a very poor Farm family growing up. If you couldn't do it yourself you just didn't get it done. He learned a lot from all his older Brother growing up and then I learned a lot from him growing up. I think I was helping Dad change oil in the cars when I was 6, or at least I thought I was helping, Lol. I just grew up tinkering in the garage. My Dad got his first welder, a Lincoln Arc 220 when I was 12 and we were welding with it the day we got it. I have a small Arc welder for larger bits and a small wire feed flux core arc that I use mostly. It only costs about $80 on sale at Harbor Freight, and if you get the 20% coupon from magazines you walk out with it for $60.It's called the Easy Mig 100. It plugs into any 110v outlet and you just put your two pieces together and pull the trigger. Very easy. Just remember if you hold it too long in one spot you will burn a hole in the metal. You fill holes you burn by going around the parameter of hole in quick little bursts till it's solid. A weld to be a strong weld must penetrate. If you just weld the outside of something just the outside is holding everything together. Also get at Harbor Freight a 4" electric cut off saw so you can put cutting blades, grinding disks, and metal finish flap disks on it. An electric die tool grinder in 1/2" is also good to have. Anyone can do this, really. Just be safe. Don't weld near gasoline, well ventilated area, use your face mask and gloves, and don't ever wear sandals when you weld. Don't ask me how I know about the sandals...... :roll:

Thanks for the reply. I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow. HF is about 10 minutes from work. My wife and I both work in creative fields and projects seem to sprout around here constantly. If anything she is more excited about the bikes than me. And I can't get enough of them. We just bare got the first one running last week and she gave the go ahead to buy another bike. We picked up a Worksman in decent shape and have the next project in the gates.

Latest posts

Back